Artifact - The DOTA Card Game

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Steam does have a return policy. Two hours of playtime and a two week window and you can get a refund. You should be able to tell if the 3-lane play will be for you or not in that time. Even with that said, the game may pay for itself eventually since they are using the marketplace.

Hearthstone is F2P, but if you want to play the game on a competitive level you are going to have to buy card packs. I feel Hearthstone is very expensive to get into nowadays and I don't know how people keep giving them money. I hope Artifact succeeds because the genre really needs some form of competition to Hearthstone.

I wonder how the refund policy will work for this. Maybe since it's their game, they'll bother deleting shit after the refund, but for example for cards that you get from playing games, originally you could refund and keep the cards you got. Instead of removing the cards/blocking them, they instead made it so you don't get cards until after 2hours after you play the game(or if you own it for a long time so you can't issue an automated refund on it anyway).

The thing is as far as I understand the cards you'll get from your packs and shit will be instantly put in your steam inventory like other dota items. What happens if you sell some then refund? They'd remove your balance obviously but what about the card, does it stays in the inventory of whoever bought it? That'd be way too exploitable obviously. So they need to have a system that either prevents you from trading for 2hours, which might be seen as annoying for regular players who do want to play the game normally right from the start, or maybe they only allow refunds if you haven't sold/bought anything, but that sounds like a trap for people not paying attention.

I guess they could put a waiver on your refund warning if you try to sell shit. But then you still have a more fringe case to exploit, people who make new accounts, buy the game, open the packs, and if they don't get enough value cards, refund the game, then buy it again and keep doing that until they get the right cards or steam tells them to fuck off, at which point they sell their shit and do it with another account.

Honestly, I'm not sure this is going to be refundable, but we'll see. Thing is, if the cards have semi decent value, you'd probably get more than 20bucks just reselling your cards. I guess however your money is now in Steam bucks, not real money, so you can only use it for buying Steam games on Steam.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Seems like it would be easy enough to say that if you sell cards you can't refund the game and you cannot refund more than once or maybe add a timeframe limitation on refunding the same game.

I think the whole marketplace is just way too hard to evaluate at this point. If there are only a couple thousand players than cards may get expensive but if there are millions then you would think the market would be flooded with cards. We don't even know how rare cards will be. There are only three rarities, common, uncommon, and rare. Each pack contains a rare. So how rare are "good" cards really going to be?

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Some generic sounding deck archetypes were released ahead of Gamescom. Any information at this point is hype for me. Next week can't come soon enough!

Artifact

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Gaben announced the beta for october during TI opening, figure this is worth bumping the thread. Means fairly short beta(release is november). I guess the beta will go on for a few months after that too.

• 1Like

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Seems reasonable. Basically Artifact will follow the physical card game model. You'll have to put money into the system to get cards whether that be through buying packs, trading with people, or using the marketplace. They plan to reprint some cards so there will still be collector cards that may sell for high value, but in terms of actual card usage people should be able to get all the cards for their decks for a "managable" about of money.

I haven't played MtG in years, but years ago most of the top tier decks ran a few cards they did not come cheap. In Hearthstone, even after the changes to legendary drops, its easy to spend a couple hundred dollars every expansion to get all the drops and that probably includes the gold grind and dusting your extras.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
For Magic, generally in "standard", where cards are currently in-print, if a card is absolutely dominant it'll get up to 30-40 bucks, with the good-to-great ones landing in the 5-18 bracket. Every once in a while you hit an unreal level of cross-play and get your $60-80 standard card, but that's only really happened twice, and they were both Jace fuck-ups. Draft and people cracking tournament prize support generally does a good job of meeting and exceeding demand, such that currently-in-print cards taper down in value over time.

In older formats, where cards are no longer in print, your high demand/low supply staples are generally in the 20-40 range too, although some of them spike higher than that due to speculator influence/unusually high disparity of demand vs supply. It's unusual to see a single card that was printed after 2000 break $100 (Although Noble Hierarch and Mox Opal are busy doing god's work since Wizards decided to skip a half-dozen opportunities to reprint them, and they're 4-of-staples in a variety of archetypes). And even for those expensive cards, when they actually do a Reprint Set that doesn't suck balls, it's basically a 50% value knee-capping for the cards that get reprinted. Artifact should have an easier time with matching their "print run" to their playerbase, so the supply-demand disparities shouldn't be huge like they are in magic (that, and nobody's dog is gnawing on your artifact cards, or sending them through the wash, taking them out of the market).

Where it gets awkward for Magic is lands, which don't really seem to have a mirror here (unless the equipment cards come in packs?). The playerbase has increased 5-10-fold since some of the most necessary lands were printed, and for the absolute best lands, it doesn't even really matter what color combination your deck is, because any fetch that matches even just one of your colors is on the docket for possible inclusion.

Last edited:

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am hoping that we finally get a game that competes with Hearthstone. If the game play is good, this will be my new game and I will happily let Hearthstone go.

• 1Solidarity

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider

Also, apparently they confirmed on stream there will be full text chat which is pretty cool I guess.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

Also, apparently they confirmed on stream there will be full text chat which is pretty cool I guess.
I don't see how that's a good idea but as long as you can just hide it I don't really give a fuck I guess.

And it should have been obvious that they weren't going to have a beta with just the people who attended TI/PAX, that just wouldn't be nearly enough to test mass scale, and since they're starting the beta test like a month before launch, I assume they're more concerned with testing the tech side of things than design/balance, so the more people the better(stress testing servers, more configs to find crashes weird issues like displaying problem in 640x480 because some people live in 1995 still etc). I do hope I can get access though, I want to test the game but I don't want to pay 20bucks to do that.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You don't honestly think the packs in the beta are going to be free do you?
If it's a wiped beta I could see it? But anyway I don't need to buy more packs, I just want the original packs you get for 20bucks for free, see how much you need to buy additional ones, see what kind of freedom you get to build with those and such. Also just to play the game.

• 1Like

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I was wondering what the Hearthstone pros were thinking about Artifact, especially after Pax. I know its still a little early considering Pax is still ongoing but there were a few notable comments. I know there were rumors about Lifecoach having a few hundred hours in Artifact previously. Wondering what this does to Hearthstone and if Blizzard will mix it up even more next expansion.

• 1Like

Delly

Trakanon Raider
So there hasn't been anything too crazy of note lately. People seem to be ramping up for the October beta which its assumed that the NDA will be dropped. Currently there is lots of card releases. No word about if you can buy into the beta just yet.

Ratsmah (popular HS streamer) received a beta key from his team and didn't fully understand the NDA and ended up making a basic intro video for his HS fans. Luckily Valve was very understanding and just told him not to post anymore.

Also, I'm not a huge SUNsfan follower but him and Slacks and a few others have been in the beta forever and are very knowledgeable about the game. It got me pretty hype when he said they'll have around 50 videos made for when the NDA drops.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Some Chinese person leaked a ton of shit via Weibo which is causing drama since some of these cards were given to community members to reveal. Hopefully Valve doesn't go easy on him.. but in regards to that I will share a bunch of the cards that were leaked. Sounds like its a person who cares about their access/future access so it seems odd.

Image taken from Reddit because I'm way too lazy to format shit.

Artifact leaks.jpg

Mirror -

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
So watching this game I'm not all that drawn to it. Hopefully that will be different once I'm the one playing.