Artifact - The DOTA Card Game

xzi

Mouthbreather
my boi released a pretty big artifact video, plenty of info packed into 14 minutes. A small valve interview and some neat little looks into the earliest prototype Valve has of the game as well.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My favorite quote from that interview this guys had.

"The game gets into player hands sooner and we have a ton of runway for adding interesting features and modes after launch.

I really wish Hearthstone could have actually added more play modes to their game.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

xzi

Mouthbreather
I actually really enjoyed hearthstones pve dungeon crawler mode for some reason. Would love to see more of that.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
IGN and Richard Garfield showed off the draft mode a bit. Seems pretty typical to your MtG draft with the obvious differences due to having hero cards. Much more interesting than Hearthstone IMO.

And here is the draft game with the drafted deck.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Beta pushed back to Nov. 19th..... fml. Got my key for free, but people who spent 100's on ebay yikes. This won't sit well.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider

Fuck yeah, can't wait to see this in action. Curious to see if there is any SteamTV integration. Didn't wanna break out my tinfoil hat all willy nilly like, but I was suspicious about the pushing of the Beta back having something to do with that.

• 2Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They pushed the beta back because the tournament system wasn't ready and the tutorial wasn't either I believe. We'll see, although timing isn't that great since I was reading there's a dota major running at the same time.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
No ladder is an interesting decision, probably wouldn't be near the top anyway but it's nice to have a carrot to chase. Either way, been watching the tourny on stream and still super pumped to get my hands on this shit.

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
I'm confused. Pre-purchase is up but there are no details what you get for paying? So the game is pay2play then pay more for packs? Not a fan of the model they're going for but I guess they're banking on the dota brand + Garfield carrying initial purchases.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'm confused. Pre-purchase is up but there are no details what you get for paying? So the game is pay2play then pay more for packs? Not a fan of the model they're going for but I guess they're banking on the dota brand + Garfield carrying initial purchases.
It clearly states what you get for paying. If you mean what you get for preordering, then it's nothing, so that one's easy. There's no reason to buy the game right now, can wait for release. And yes to an extent it's pay a bunch. You do get 5 tickets with the initial 20bucks purchase, which you can use to play "arena", Gauntlets in this, to win more cards.

Edit: Nvm the page doesn't say exactly have to click on the FAQ, that's some pretty shitty design. First question in the FAQ though: "Q. What do I get when I buy Artifact?Your purchase includes 10 card packs, 5 event tickets, and two complete starter decks. The two starter decks are Red/Green Brawler and and Blue/Black Control."

"Each pack contains twelve random cards from the Call to Arms set, including one hero, two items, and at least one card of the highest rarity. Additional packs can be purchased for $1.99. "

So the packs are definitely the "best" for this type of game, since you get a guaranteed card of the highest tier in all of them. You can also buy/sell cards on the steam market directly, which means it'll probably be pretty easy to make full decks early on with just the 20bucks or so, as long as your goal isn't to complete the entire collection.

Last edited:

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, I was looking at the pre-purchase screen and there's no information about what you get. 10 boosters. All right.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
NDA lifts next weekend and a few all day twitch events will be going on hosted by the "pro" beta players. Had the 10k tourny on in the background most of the weekend and it can get pretty complex. There are surely some RNG elements but for the most part the smarter player will beat a better deck (in draft at least). Joel Larsson, MTG pro, didn't lose a single round and took 1st place. Dude is like 3 rounds ahead at all times, even the panel of other beta pros were caught off guard by some of his plays, pretty impressive stuff.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You would think they would at least offer an Alternate Art card for prepurchasing. Offering no bonus for a prepurchase is kind of dumb. Since nothing more is offered than if I just wait, then wait I shall.