Artifact - The DOTA Card Game

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
NDA lifted today, a ton of streams up. As it stands now, only way to play draft is to pay ($1 per ticket basically). Might not be a huge deal IF draft wasn't the main mode. Also further divides the alpha players who basically had like 7 months of free draft. Gonna be pretty interesting to see how this plays out. Obviously the diehard Valve fanboys will still play it, but Toast has been taking digs on stream at the RNG and business model and I can see most HS peeps following suit.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
They're not wiping accounts from alpha? On a game this greedy? That seems like a mistake. Perhaps not in the long run, but maybe in the short run.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
They're not wiping accounts from alpha? On a game this greedy? That seems like a mistake. Perhaps not in the long run, but maybe in the short run.

Nah, they are wiped. I was speaking mainly in terms of experience in Draft if that is what you are referencing. Pretty sure Alpha build had all cards playable freely for everyone.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I called this shit last page (August 3rd), haven't been back in this thread since. Basically it's turning out to be everything I said plus worse. Had no idea they would charge for ranked. I also called no crafting of cards. This game is going to be a cash grab at first then people will flock back to HS.

This is probably the best news for HS this year. It's going to bring so many more players back.

And the 3 lanes just always seemed bad, I tried watching streams last night but it's not going to happen. You can't take your eyes off the screen for a second or you 'll just be lost.

My last post refuting Delly:

Because to play HS you don't need to purchase anything... I'm not seeing that here. At least let me try the game first, if its good enough then sure, I'll dump money into some cards. I also don't see anything about crafting cards, I only get the impression you'll need to purchase them. Of course this could be completely wrong. Only other thing I've seen mentioned is they'll offer "other modes", like Sealed deck, for players without large collections... and that a key component of the game is to "bargain hunt" the marketplace.

How can you even compare these statements to HS which allows complete FTP if you desire?

How is saying "3 lanes trying too hard" fanboyish? LOL... I like some ideas presented by other games, even if implementation has been poor. Gwent with the frontline/backline stuff. Reynad's theoretical game focusing on economy... But, 3 Lanes just looks and sounds bad. I get the idea your strategy now involves lane mechanics; ie: starving 1 lane to feed another, etc etc.. great. Is it the core gameplay of a Card game? Are the card effects & synergies actually going to be fun? Or are you going to be spreading resources and unable to have good synergy/combos with the cards. Sounds like you really don't even need the cards. Idk man, just sounds very bland & unfun to me. If I'm playing a card game I'd think the main focus would be the cards.

And yes, I'd love an alternative that I can play on a mobile device... really only reason I play HS is cause of mobile. But I'm not going to give it a try with this pricing model.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Not every card game needs a free to play model. For me it'll depend what the marketplace actually looks like. MTGO requires very little of you if your goal is "play some games of Magic the Gathering." Buy 5-10 dollars worth of tickets a few times a year, build something interesting, head over to the casual room and play some games. It's not hard to envisioning an economy where buying packs is just inferior to singles and whatever you spend on this there will be at least some redemption of what you put in.

If it all blows apart than someone else put in a great deal of time and money into giving us a spectacular wreck. We can't lose!

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Clearly the pricing model was always a question, especially when Gabe and Garfield were never clear about it from the start. Part of the problem was an expected custom draft mode that was in previous betas but was taken out for this beta. I can only imagine that is coming back. Regardless, requiring money to play the best game modes and also some of the other concerns like receiving starter heroes in your packs, which basically can never be sold because everyone has them, is a mistake.

I still don't believe its too hard to follow. Once you have an understanding of things the depth is really nice. Especially when watching a person play and discuss their decisions instead of a tournament format. Definitely not as easy as HS or other similar games. So Ravishing Ravishing , I don't think your arguments on gameplay are accurate, while there are some truth to them I don't think you give people enough credit for wanting more depth.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Was watching some streams of this last night and I agree with Toast, this game is really hard to watch/understand as a viewer.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
NDA lifted today, a ton of streams up. As it stands now, only way to play draft is to pay ($1 per ticket basically). Might not be a huge deal IF draft wasn't the main mode. Also further divides the alpha players who basically had like 7 months of free draft. Gonna be pretty interesting to see how this plays out. Obviously the diehard Valve fanboys will still play it, but Toast has been taking digs on stream at the RNG and business model and I can see most HS peeps following suit.

Is it? Or is it just that people who have been in the alpha eventually got bored of playing with and against the same constructed decks in the small player pool?

Was watching some streams of this last night and I agree with Toast, this game is really hard to watch/understand as a viewer.

How much of that is simply lack of familiarity with the game and the cards?

• 1Like

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Is it? Or is it just that people who have been in the alpha eventually got bored of playing with and against the same constructed decks in the small player pool?

That's probably most of it but visually the game just had a lot going on.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
I suspected as much myself, just going off of what the entire majority are saying. Either way, without a ladder system, it's easy to see how draft would be the more fun mode of play for me personally.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

That's really the question. Hearthstone, while not being A+ in game play very much allows the viewer to "play along" in manner that's almost interactive. You get to analyze the board and devise the play and then see what the player does and how their decisions turn out. Competitive Magic the Gathering with physical cards is ass to try and watch even if you are up to speed on everything. Is Artifact, after you learn what the cards do, a good experience or a bad experience for viewers?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Watching it so far I don't care for it, which could be because I don't really get it from not playing. Based on the pay model they have presented, I'm not going to find out either.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I agree with most people above. I'm not paying every single time I want to play the best option of your game. I don't do that for any other game and I'm sure as hell not making you a special case. DoA for me.

• 1Like

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I saw the $1 to play and I'm giving this game a hard pass now. On top of it I guess the packs you can buy you can get some of the starter cards. Just wtf. The game is a hard pass.

• 1Solidarity