Ashes of Creation

turbo

Molten Core Raider
How...HOW CAN VANGUARD HAVE O & D seperate targets yet fucking 15 years later these fucking games still don't have them (or i am blind, 50-50 chance....)

gLobal

Trakanon Raider
I wanted to like this game and I think it has a lot going for it, but something just doesn't sit right with me.

It looks too console-ish and has the motion smoothing that really turns me off. The combat is flashy for my tastes. I'd be willing to go further and bet it's more 'on the rails' than it claims.

I'll keep an eye on it, but I refuse to get my hopes up.

Raign

Golden Squire
Have to admit, the footage from Pax looks more fleshed out than I expected it to. I was really just expecting a couple of 4 v 4 arena battles with no pve. Still hard to not assume this will be vapourware given how fast they are churning it out, but at least there is a glimmer of hope for more... slight... but there.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
How...HOW CAN VANGUARD HAVE O & D seperate targets yet fucking 15 years later these fucking games still don't have them (or i am blind, 50-50 chance....)
Honestly, because no one plays like that anymore. Most encounters in group- or raid-centric MMOs nowadays require the support roles to pay attention to the whole picture and not singlemindedly just switch between tank and boss. Most MMOs have either support for mouseover-macros (FFXIV) or even addons like Clique (WoW) that make setting things up easier.

I wouldn't want to go back to boring tank'n'spank design, because nothing was more mindnumbing than waiting for your turn in the CH chain so you could press one button.

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>

For a company trying to sell a "re-define how MMOs are being made" tagline....this sure just looks like a hodgepodge of systems borrowed from other games which implemented the systems better. Their "living world node" system is a skeletal version of GW2 open world map events. Combat system doesn't seem any different from ESO, GW2, any action-oriented system with dodge/limited action skillbar. I think the only things left which may set it apart is how they handle end game.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think the world event system was what peaked everyones interest so badly. It just sounded cool the way they talked about it. But after sitting back and seeing what theyre putting together, Im starting to believe you're hitting the nail on the head.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
For a company trying to sell a "re-define how MMOs are being made" tagline....this sure just looks like a hodgepodge of systems borrowed from other games which implemented the systems better. Their "living world node" system is a skeletal version of GW2 open world map events. Combat system doesn't seem any different from ESO, GW2, any action-oriented system with dodge/limited action skillbar. I think the only things left which may set it apart is how they handle end game.

The reality is there isn't much new development even possible. Someone, somewhere has done whatever there is to do with current technology, and so your best hope is just to do it better, with better writing, more engaging fights, better art, better worlds, etc. To me this is what made WoW such an incredible game.. They took EQ, and removed most of the stupid. Then they coupled it with great writing, and fun/beautiful visuals, and made your character feel powerful. The only real innovation at least initially was the quest ! over NPC's heads.. but Blizzard did everything SO WELL, that the game was just fun to play.

A brand new MMO is going to need ALL of those things in order to succeed, especially in a new, unfamiliar IP. If anything is lacking, even a little bit, people will grow tired of it quickly and leave.

• 4Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 4 users

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
AoC started their Alpha Zero this week...

...and showcased their class list.

ashes-class.jpg

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Siren as the name for the Bard+Tank gave me a solid chuckle.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
That video looked half-decent. Guess I'll have to pay a little attention to it.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
There are some interesting mixes of the classes. Some interesting names too haha. It’s on my radar now.

• 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I also like what I see so far. I like the variations of the classes and the gameplay video was well done. This guy definitely knows how to market.

• 1Like

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, looking pretty good for its current stage of development.

Glad to see that; this is the only MMO right now that's looking remotely intriguing to me, so it's good to see that it's shaping up.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
They are so into this "node" thing, but it just seems to pale in comparison to the actual world they have. That whole node looked kind of bland sitting out there. The area already designed for the Tier 5 Node, even though it was only tier 3. I understand its in AZero, but I hope it does get the refinement it needs. Didnt care for the excuse how if Imperials were what leveled the node to begin with, the next level the node has is based completely off what race leveled it then. It would seem so much more unique and flavorful if they had a mixed architecture. So if it DID go elven as level 2, and lvl 1 was imperial, then you would see that influence in the architecture. So in the end, when its tier 5 - you can sort of figure out the history of it all on your own. Maybe at tier 5, the architecture becomes somewhat bland for the defenses. But certain sections of the city are completely dominated by what that race is known for. Just a thought..

I just hope they dont drop the ball on the production value of quests and similar. I enjoy the stories, even the cheezy ones, when they have great voice acting and cut scene animations. With the areas theyve designed, I feel like they could come up with really spectacular stuff. Even though that was just a head sculpture out near the "Under World", it still looked cool af.

If Pantheon truly does launch, Ill play it and hope for the best. But the AoCreation team just seems like they know what the hell is going on in the development world, where their project is, speedy development, and good lord are they proud of the product that they have this early in. In the end, I hope neither one trips and falls because I sorely miss playing an MMO that didnt feel like a phone game.

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
I bet playing a mini game every time you want to use an ability will never get old. Nope, not one bit. I wish that kind of game design could make its way in to the real world. Timing bar for unlocking your car door, timing bar for taking a shit and wiping your ass, timing bar pouring a glass of water. FUN!

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
As we have seen numerous times, it takes getting so much right to make an MMO worth investing time in. I'm still very doubtful, but their progress in such a small amount of time has given me a tad bit of hope. Instead of it being, "I think they have a 5% chance of making a worthwhile game". It's now "10%". Next to Pantheon's speed of progress, it's looking great! Which is saying so much...