Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Just because you don't have issues doesn't mean it can't be an even better experience than what you are having right now.

Would it be hard to get my PS3 controller to work? Never used a controller for my PC....or should I just go buy something? I'm not a big fan of XBox controllers.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
I don't know how well it works exactly with AC4, but I've had much success using my ps3 controller on the PC with a program called motioninjoy.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Seems I'm plagued by this issue on the PS4. Sorry. to everyone that has helped me out with the fleet game but I can't return the love. I can play the fleet game fine on my phone but the PS4 keeps telling me that i Can't connect to the servers. I have over $250,000 just sitting in the fleet game the I can't transfer over. It was working fine a few weeks ago. A quick google shows I'm not the only one with this problem.Google

Anyone else have this issue on the ps4 or xbone?

spronk

FPS noob
probably fake but if AC5 takes place in ancient egypt, i will jizz

BhlcHDYIIAIgoWi.jpg:large

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think the Asian rumors are a bit more likely, but holy shit that would be awesome as well... I'm not sure if I'd say Egypt > Japan but it would be close between the two for damn sure.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I think the Asian rumors are a bit more likely, but holy shit that would be awesome as well... I'm not sure if I'd say Egypt > Japan but it would be close between the two for damn sure.
My guess would be Egypt before Japan.

Egypt ties in better with the lore/Aliens and that (not that much from Asia/Japan regarding that aspect that I know of). Further, once they go to Japan, you almost expect them to go heavier on the martial arts/combat system with Samurai and Ninjas and all that. Would be hard to introduce an elevated combat mechanic from Japan first, only to have to remove much of that for going back to Egypt, as ninja skills isn't exactly something you associate with ancient Egypt.

So guessing, Egypt game = heavy on lore, similar to AC4 in combat, Japan game = less lore focused, updated combat mechanics.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
And I believe they've said before that they consider the whole assassins=ninjas thing to be a little too obvious, so they aren't exactly in a hurry to do Japan.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I for one cannot wait to steer my camel ship over the dunes of sand launching cannons at other slave trader Egyptians.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
While I love the lore that they could tie into ancient Egypt...is the terrain going to be interesting to explore? I've having flashbacks of AC3 with all of it's lame empty wilderness, only deserts this time around. I'd rather be in congested, populated cities with lots of architecture to climb and explore. Not sure ancient Egypt is going to be overly great for that. AC4 didn't really have too many giant, bustling cities but the pirate ships were so goddamn awesome that you didn't need them. I still think the best city exploration was in the AC2 games, with all of those huge cathedrals and temples to climb.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Well, if true they could just skip the open desert the same way they skipped it in ac1. It could work but it feels like going backwards. /shrug

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I just played through Brotherhood and Revelations. I'd say Brotherhood was the best one I've played, and Revelations the worst aside from AC1 (which I didn't even finish years back) - from the fuck ugly textures, the slowed down combat (executions especially - but they looked cool), no horses, smaller city, the pointless hook thingy, the obnoxious zigzag city layout, the tower defense that I only did twice, the "stealth required" missions that all gave you whores to hire every ten feet - but at least almost the entire map was open right at the start for once, so you can get the "repetitive climb the tower for spinny cutscene x25" thing out of the way without heading to an icon only to find out that it's blocked (so stop putting them on the goddamn map!) This was the first game where it felt like they really phoned it in and started crapping things up, and I hear AC3 is worse. So I probably won't be jumping into the last two right away.

Revelations did have some of the cooler looking platforming areas. Sure, they are super obvious to the point of feeling on rails, even when they throw a timer at you, but they are my favorite part.

Biggest annoyance: First mission in chapter 9 of Brotherhood sends you on a series of missions that you can't decline, despite the fact that they take place a month or more apart, all the way to the 18 minute long credits that you can't skip if you want a final save. I didn't do the final Lair because "this mission icon is on the way, and there's a whole section of the bottom of the map that never unlocked so the end must be down there, may as well do that first.." Nope, Fuck You. No sweet weapon to make the trivial last mission even easier.

Second biggest annoyance: Six games, none with windowed support. Fuck them and their entire muti-cultural development team of many faiths and beliefs. (I always delete unskippable intro videos, but for some reason deleting that one gives me some sort of smug satisfaction)

And lastly, the tradition of the final mission being as easy as the tutorial at the start of the game is puzzling.

At least the next two games I won't need subtitles, right?

The problem with an Egypt setting is too much tan. Like AC1, AC2, AC:B. But if it saves the series from textures as awful as the ones in AC:R, I understand.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
The pro-controller talk in this thread is mind-boggling. Keyboard and mouse allow for faster, more precise movements. I briefly used a controller and it felt counterintuitive.

spronk

FPS noob
kreugen, ac4 is arguably the best AC in the series, I wouldn't really be able to pick between it and AC2/ACB. However definitely skip AC3, you will think it a complete piece of shit and it is. Play it when you have nothing left.

controller talk isn't that important, the combat in AC has always been a complete joke. You can take on an army of 100+ and take no damage at all with just counter/attack. The one thing I will agree though is that kb/m will get rid of that annoying "HEY LET ME JUMP TO MY DEATH INSTEAD OF THAT LEDGE" everyone does with a controller. I'm playing AC Liberation HD right now, and its annoying as fuck being in the bayou and having to navigate a goddamn swamp. Still, with a controller you can play a lot lazier and further from screen.

Ancient Egypt had absolutely massive cities, possibly larger in height/width than any of the European cities set in AC times. Alexandria had buildings 200+ feet tall lining up avenues miles long. The lighthouse of Alexandria was the tallest building in the ancient world I think? Not to mention Cairo would have the three pyramids right next to it. Those guys built big, and had armies of slaves to build it.

alexandria-map-base.jpg

Sulrn

Deuces
The pro-controller talk in this thread is mind-boggling. Keyboard and mouse allow for faster, more precise movements. I briefly used a controller and it felt counterintuitive.
Tread carefully. People around this thread project their controller preferences with great disdain for non-believers.

[edit]

I think anyone excited about Egypt is hitting Cleo's pipe too hard. Asia major would have a completely different art style that would vastly trump Egypt and a rehash of AC1.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
eh... I think the art style of Egypt is unique enough for it to not be a strait up rehash, and Egyptian lore would tie MUCH more into the current story of AC... but again... AC4 was so awesome because it was so different. the "assassin" parts of it are the least interesting. but sailing your brig around the west indies taking what you please and sinking the rest? yeah. that's awesome. I can't think of what would make Egypt fun outside of the status quo of assassins and Templars.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Exactly why I was so amped with the Asian rumors - so much interesting culture to tie into and the diametric opposition between bushido and assassin/ninja stuff. Don't get me wrong, Egypt is interesting as a timeframe, but it's narrow and frankly a revisit for so much of what they've done so far.

spronk

FPS noob
guess the egypt rumors were fake, looks like the next game is in france. three games in development, one in paris on xbone/ps4 (and pc I hope), another on 360/ps3 (and pc too?) set in ??, and another thats not mentioned. some screenshots and shit below
Leaked Images Reveal One Of This Falls Creed Games

ehhh, i dunno, might be milking the franchise a bit too much if they release 2 games at once. while I thought ac4 was one of the best games I have ever played, liberation was kinda meh. oh well, wait and see at E3 I guess.