Assassin's Creed Odyssey (Greece)

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I just started exploring and finding sync spots and got tons of exp. I didn’t do any side quests or main. I went from like 20 to 23 just exploring.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
And Nester Nester I won't knock you for playing the way you want to play it either. If I have 4 hours, and I want to go through the main story instead of anything else in those four hours, I should be able to do so just like you should be able to take those four hours and go exploring, do bounties, side quests, pirate attacks, POI hunting, Ancient tablet hunting, cult member hunting, Merc hunting... Because tomorrow? I'll take those four hours and do the same thing you are talking about.

Again, which I would easily be able to do today - if I ponied up for the 50% XP perm boost on my character. And that's the point I am trying to make.

Going back to your point of leveling doesn't seem too bad. If I spend 4-5 hours going from 13 to 15 just to be able to go back to the main story line (This isn't an MMORPG) and even then 1 segment of 3 become 2 levels higher than that even, that's just broken. Ok so have the new quest. Oops, here are three segments of that quest and you can do 2 now but you have to go out and level to 17 before you can do the last one. Oh hey did I tell you there is a handy 50% leveling XP bonus you can buy for your character for $10?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I just started exploring and finding sync spots and got tons of exp. I didn’t do any side quests or main. I went from like 20 to 23 just exploring.

So an average side quest is giving about 2500-4k XP. Are rewards higher for other activities when it comes to XP?

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
So let me ask you this then, is it normal to play for 4 and a half hours doing side quests, bounties, exploration, pirate attacks, etc - and I go from 13.3 to 15.8?

The biggest issue aside from that is the pacing. By the time I am getting back to the main story, I am forgetting what is happening in the first place. This will be 6 hours of side questing and activities to get back to the main quest line... How is that not broken? It isn't I mind doing some of the side quests. Some are pretty good, but I * DO * want to get back to the main quest line.

I don't know what you did to get to where you are, so it's hard to comment. I think right now the problem is you fell behind because you were only doing the main story up to a certain point, and now you're kind stuck in a bad place.

I don't have 4 hours between story quests, it's mostly story quest, side quests, bounties and exploration while heading to the next story quest, do the story quest, then repeat do side quests, bounties and exploration going to the next part. So I probably do a story quest part every 30-60 mins, maybe more sometimes, but that's usually how it goes for me.

As for playing your own way, I agree it should be possible. Although I'm not sure how many games allow you to complete the main story and ignore all side activities.

While on the subject of play your own way, I wish the Dark Souls and Bloodborne had an easier mode so I could play them...dammit I'm 49 this shit is way too hard for me. :) It's fine though, not all game will suit my like and dislike, doesn't make them bad games, or the company that makes them bad companies.

• 1Like

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I am not defending a MT system. I don't even see a MT system. I have not even been to the store in game nor seen what then even sell.
You don't need it, you don't need to buy anything if you just play the game. If you want to RUSH, perhaps you should spend. but that is the cost of rushing.

Just like Origins, & Shadow of War, the MT crying is so over done. Its not an issue unless you make it an issue.
I 100% these games in 2 weeks without a thought to spend an extra penny. I am old and bad at games. If I can do it at 40 anyone can.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So an average side quest is giving about 2500-4k XP. Are rewards higher for other activities when it comes to XP?

Well I’ll just go exploring and find a cave and gets tons of exp just clearing that or the odd fort. Just quicksave before a fort so you don’t lose anything. I mean I’ve been doing that and main quest. I’m skipping most of the official side quests and taking bounties every chance I get in town. Half of the bounties pay out huge when you clear some random fort. I’m like you I wanna beat the main story than mop up achievements/trophies later. Also if a fort is tough I took that vanish perk and just run away inside the fort and hide in a bush then back to kiting like a Druid in North Karana.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I don't know what you did to get to where you are, so it's hard to comment. I think right now the problem is you fell behind because you were only doing

So I was on the starter isle, did the entire island, moved on to the second main quest area, did a few side quests there and main story bits, sailing, pirates, side activities, etc - and then it was time for athens - I was level 13, needed to be 15. So last night I went to an island and just did all the activities there for 5 hours - got to 15, almost 16, went to Athens for the level 15 quest which then split into 3 segments, on which two of those segments were level 15 and one segment was 17, laughed my ass off, and logged out for the night.

I have about 13 hours played, 10 of which are side activities, side quests, ships, war battles, etc.

Edit: 26% main story progression at 14 hrs 35min played.

Edit 2: I also have expired dailies constantly and cannot refresh them which people are also complaining about. It's been that way since launch - maybe the patch fixed that today I can hope...

Last edited:

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I am not defending a MT system. I don't even see a MT system. I have not even been to the store in game nor seen what then even sell.
You don't need it, you don't need to buy anything if you just play the game. If you want to RUSH, perhaps you should spend. but that is the cost of rushing.

Just like Origins, & Shadow of War, the MT crying is so over done. Its not an issue unless you make it an issue.
I 100% these games in 2 weeks without a thought to spend an extra penny. I am old and bad at games. If I can do it at 40 anyone can.

I am older than you and suck even worse so I should already be ahead of you.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Progression for story is Kellaphonia, Megaris, Phokis then Attika(Athens). I’m pretty sure I was 18-20 when I started Attika so already over the level for the region. As I said I have no clue how you played and why there is such a discrepancy in levels for you. As I said there is a lot of room between my completist way of doing it and just doing main quest.

The main quest is more than a single quest by the way, all the quests in the « Oddyssey » section of the quest log are part of the main quest, there are different branch to it, I feel you might have skipped the branch that take you to Phokis since Phokis is fairly large, and can easily be 3–5 levels.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Progression for story is Kellaphonia, Megaris, Phokis then Attika(Athens). I’m pretty sure I was 18-20 when I started Attika so already over the level for the region. As I said I have no clue how you played and why there is such a discrepancy in levels for you. As I said there is a lot of room between my completist way of doing it and just doing main quest.

The main quest is more than a single quest by the way, all the quests in the « Oddyssey » section of the quest log are part of the main quest, there are different branch to it, I feel you might have skipped the branch that take you to Phokis since Phokis is fairly large, and can easily be 3–5 levels.

Well, I did Phokis. That's where you uncover the
Cult - and also see your sister is alive) and kill the guy that sent you to kill your step-dad - the Wolf

Then I also did
The part where you start needing to upgrade your spear, and then get sent back to the real world, which I quickly didn't want to hang around in and went right back into the animus

After that I went to a lone island and did everything there last night (The Dagger quest line if you have done it) and also did a lot of upgrading of my ship, killed the pirate cult guy, did the remaining side quests, brought down the Spartan defense level to Zero (I ended up losing the battle by a hair - so I may do that again since it reset) and some other various quests I ran across including exploration and POI type stuff.

I can check but the only 3 main quest tie in's I have at the moment are
Upgrading my spear from killing cultists, the culling of the cultists them selves, and this new Athens quest hub that just opened up where Pherikles (sp) is sending me to do 3 errands, two of which are level 15 and the 3rd is level 17.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
T

Yeah not a fan of how they did that. Just call it Main quest like they previously did with just bulletins underneath.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Well, I did Phokis. That's where you uncover the
Cult - and also see your sister is alive) and kill the guy that sent you to kill your step-dad - the Wolf

Then I also did
The part where you start needing to upgrade your spear, and then get sent back to the real world, which I quickly didn't want to hang around in and went right back into the animus

After that I went to a lone island and did everything there last night (The Dagger quest line if you have done it) and also did a lot of upgrading of my ship, killed the pirate cult guy, did the remaining side quests, brought down the Spartan defense level to Zero (I ended up losing the battle by a hair - so I may do that again since it reset) and some other various quests I ran across including exploration and POI type stuff.

I can check but the only 3 main quest tie in's I have at the moment are
Upgrading my spear from killing cultists, the culling of the cultists them selves, and this new Athens quest hub that just opened up where Pherikles (sp) is sending me to do 3 errands, two of which are level 15 and the 3rd is level 17.

I don't know then, you seems to have done everything.

Maybe you pissed Ubisoft and they have a hidden XP penalty just for you. ;)

Oh you're playing as Alexios, maybe the SJW team at Ubisoft made it harder to level as a man. I'm playing as Kassandra. :p

Last edited:
  • 2Worf

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I don't know then, you seems to have done everything.

Maybe you pissed Ubisoft and they have a hidden XP penalty just for you. ;)

Oh you're playing as Alexios, maybe the SJW team at Ubisoft made it harder to level as a man. I'm playing as Kassandra. :p

Haha! I wouldn't doubt that :) Maybe they have something against vanilla versions of the game and XP multipliers for gold/ultimate are natively better ;)

Nester Nester what version did you buy? :)

• 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Haha! I wouldn't doubt that :) Maybe they have something against vanilla versions of the game and XP multipliers for gold/ultimate are natively better ;)

Nester Nester what version did you buy? :)

What difficulty level are you playing at? Maybe that has an impact, I'm just on normal.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I am just on normal too. This is from Gamesbeat - don't know about the site that much but this is the review not yet released for whatever reason:

Odyssey has a lot of role-playing elements. You get color-coded gear, and your character has a level that you improve with experience points. But this has two flaws that drag down the game a bit for me.

First, the game scales enemy levels too closely to your own. If your character goes from level 6 to 7, all of the animals and most of the nearby enemies will also jump from 6 to 7. This eliminates that moment where you instantly feel more capable and competent for a while after leveling up. Instead, the grind is this constant mountain climb with zero plateaus to rest and feel powerful.

Second, you’ll hit some brick walls when it comes to progression. I was making good progress with my character up until level 15. At that point, I had a story mission that required me to take on a level 17 assassin. That was so challenging that I decided to get to 17 myself first. That seemed like a good plan because I had leveled up at a decent rate up until that point. But it took me six hours to go from 15 to 17.

That's funny actually because that is EXACTLY where I am right now.

And...

This could be poor balancing or it could be a matter of Ubisoft pushing players toward paying to solve a problem the publisher created with the slow and controlled leveling system, but either way it’s a bad deal for players. It’s also possible that the XP system will be patched in some way after release, and we’re hoping for that outcome: This is a system that could use a bit of tweaking.

And they go on to talk about end game XP walls...

And this:

In Odyssey, the story is stretched out over much more of the game, meaning plenty of XP grinding.

Early in the game, grinding by racking up small quests, only occurs in patches, with the central story offering almost enough XP to keep up with leveling demands. But it certainly becomes more common later in the game, in which the final act is stretched over a vast hinterland of leveling. I’m also discomforted by microtransactions that allow players to spend real cash boosting their XP in order to complete the story, without grinding. This seems to fly in the face of a design decision based on the developers’ desire to share the whole world, and all its wonders, with the player.

So people definitely are talking about it.

Valderen Valderen you will have to let me know if it gets any worse post level 40 or so.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I like this one as well:

Permanent XP Boost isn’t only meant for busy teenagers and overworked adults; it’s the right option for anybody who wants to avoid Odyssey’s nastiest flaw: the need to grind through repetitive fights in order to accumulate XP that unlocks the best stuff the game has to offer, or even just to see the ending. I wish every oversized video game had a similar option.
But charging players more to enjoy the game at their own pace is shameful and backward. As games strive to retain players for hundreds of hours in order to increase in-app purchases and decrease trade-ins, it’s disappointing that those of us who want to experience a game at a reasonable pace have to foot the bill. It’s not that paying the $10 fee makes Odyssey a bit quicker; it’s that the game’s pace suddenly feels respectful, exhilarating and right once you do. The choice isn’t between standard and faster — it’s between worse and better.
Ubisoft could make the mode free with a patch, or tweak the base game to be more generous with its XP and upgrades, but it has a financial incentive not to do so. Until the publisher makes a change, the best way to play Assassin’s Creed Odyssey costs extra. And paying the toll only encourages the publisher to continue hawking Time Savers rather than respect every player’s time.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I got the cheap version. 79.99 here in Canada
I am level 27 or 28. finished 7 of the 9 story sequences.

Not sure my total %, - Where did you guys find that in the UI.?
I am liking this a lot more than Orgins, I did not like Orgins at first but it grew on me.

I hope we can all agree this thing looks amazing on a Pro or X with a 4k tv. I regret getting the PS4 version over the X now that I have both.

• 2Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I could not disagree more that the best way to play a game is to skip the vast majority of it.

You obviously didn’t read that then because the entire part of that quote goes to pacing, and how the XP boost makes the game progression what it should be.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I got the cheap version. 79.99 here in Canada
I am level 27 or 28. finished 7 of the 9 story sequences.

Not sure my total %, - Where did you guys find that in the UI.?
I am liking this a lot more than Orgins, I did not like Orgins at first but it grew on me.

I hope we can all agree this thing looks amazing on a Pro or X with a 4k tv. I regret getting the PS4 version over the X now that I have both.

Yeah I’m playing on X. I can see all the progression stats in Xbox live UI. Not sure if or what that is on the Pro.

But I also see friends who have more play time then I do and only level 11.

• 1Like