Audiobooks

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Use a credit on Galaxy Outlaws. It's like 80 hours of audio. It's a series of short stories that's very similar in spirit and feel to Firefly

Galaxy Outlaws

I also highly recommend the Expeditionary Force series (starts with Columbus Day). The guy who does it really nails the shit out of it. The first book is a little slow, but once Skippy gets introduced it's fucking amazing.

Columbus Day

I want to thank you for suggesting Galaxy Outlaws, I'm about 3 hours in and it's great so far.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I want to thank you for suggesting Galaxy Outlaws, I'm about 3 hours in and it's great so far.
Your results might vary, but I started listening to it at 1.2x speed most of the time. He tends to space his words well, so speeding it up it still sounds pretty normal

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
You don't consciously realize how long 80 hours of audio book is until you really get into it. That's a lot of listening

• 1Solidarity

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
You don't consciously realize how long 80 hours of audio book is until you really get into it. That's a lot of listening

Yeah, I'm 13 hours in now. Not even really sure what book I am on but it's still very good. If quality holds up 80 hours won't be a problem.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Most books I listen at 1.5-2.5 speed, depending on how intelligible the narrator is.

If you're looking for a great reader and a great story - James Marsters narration on the Dresden Files is S++. It's a real pleasure to listen to. I've gone back at least 3-4 times on each of the 15 books so far because Marsters as Dresden is so damn satisfying.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Izo

Tranny Chaser
What devices / apps do you guys use for this? Thinking of getting podcasts / medical readings / random up and running for pendling to work.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I just use the audible app on my phone and listen via bluetooth headphones or bluetooth to my car stereo.

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
What devices / apps do you guys use for this? Thinking of getting podcasts / medical readings / random up and running for pendling to work.

I use BeyondPod. For Audiobooks I just create a special folder to link to my books.

• 1Like

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider

I use castbox for podcasts and smart audiobook player for books, on Android.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Just finished Galaxy Outlaws. Pretty happy with it on the whole. It's nice having stories about characters that take place in interesting universes. Highly recommend if you liked Firefly. I think the Narrator kills it. Plus you can't really beat 80 hours of audible for 1 credit

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Just finished Galaxy Outlaws. Pretty happy with it on the whole. It's nice having stories about characters that take place in interesting universes. Highly recommend if you liked Firefly. I think the Narrator kills it. Plus you can't really beat 80 hours of audible for 1 credit
Just finished it myself. There was a book or two towards the middle that dragged a bit, but overall it’s pretty damned entertaining and a huge bargain. Really liked the narrator too.

The ending where Tani is getting told by her dad how much of a fucking retard she is was pretty satisfying. I hated her character so much by the end I’m glad she didn’t get a “happy” ending.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I'm listening to seveneves by Neal Stephenson narrated by Mary Robinette Kowal. The story is a little slow going, at least early in where I am, but man does she have a soothing voice

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I have a long drive to work so I just got a library card and got Libby to start listening to books in the car.

Looking for suggestions. Basically I have many read anything outside of a few niche things for years. List of what’s physically on my bookshelf

Moneyball
World War Z
A bunch of pro wrestling biographies. (I know gay but i really find the behind the scenes shot cool)
Every chuck Palahniuk Book.
Phineas Poe trilogy
John Waters’ Carsick
Thank you for smoking
Booms day

I was hoping to get the Witcher book series but my local library doesn’t have them :(

I’m into interesting biographies, satire, crazy shit and some easy to digest fantasy.

Thoughts?

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Mark Lawrance Broken Empire Trilogy, great fantasy with a really good actor reading them is a good start, for a biography David Goggins Can't Hurt Me, it is also kind of a self help book. If you have access to graphic audio then all of the Brandon Sanderson stuff is awesome but stay away from his normal audio books I hate who he gets to read those.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I liked the narrator for the Skyward stuff

I like Jeff Wheeler, though I think he's disliked by quite a few on the forums. Kate Rudd is his narrator and I enjoy her as well.

Anything by JS Morin.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
Just finished Bernard Cornwall’s Warlord trilogy. All I can say is WOW! His writing is amazing and the narrator is absolutely incredible. I can’t recommend this trilogy highly enough.

• 1Like

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Ok going to be moving this weekend and I have an hour drive to work to use.
I'm going to start with audible and dead man door? Second book for the name of the wind series.

I like hard science fiction, what was the book with a lot of "e" on the name, teseres? The one about moving the earth. Is it good?
What will be a good third choice?