Austin, Texas

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
The Drag just isn't the same, Einstein's arcade closing just defines what it's become. not that i went in there for years, it highlights my view of the area.

It's hard to make bad BBQ. Texas has a mix of styles, some places have a vinegar sauce, some places don't really smother while it's cooking. I need to check the box and do franklins at some point, but can't say i've had bbq i didn't like anywhere in the city. rudy's worst bbq is probably what i've had most often, just due to proximity to my work/home.

and like Rudy's, Chuy's is my goto for TexMex, again mostly due to proximity. If i lived further south, i might start hitting Trudy's again.

actually, ignore all of that. Texas is full, go away.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
How has traffic been this week? Driving through tmrw on 35 and wondering if I should go around the metro like I normally do.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
The afternoon seems to pick up but weekend traffic (at least last weekend) seems like it is moving quickly on the south side of the city. Can't speak to entering from the north. This was mid day as well while we were running some errands.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
It wasn't great going south on Friday, but I've seen it a lot worse. Coming back yesterday was easy peasy. Noticed that the I35 corridor from Georgetown all the way to San Antonio is pretty much an unbroken metro area now. At some point it's just going to be the Austin/SA metroplex the same way it's the DFW metroplex. Crazy compared to what it was twenty years ago.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
First girlfriend in high school lived in Georgetown, and traveling up 35 from Austin to Georgetown used to be fairly rural for a good 6-8 miles or so. None of that anymore. Just packed.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
My understanding is that Austin has implemented some totalitarian, California-esque polices today about mask wearing and shit through August. Is this expected to be a thing? We’re planning on checking out neighborhoods there at the end of July and I’m not trying to suffocate in 100 degree heat. I’m trying to leave this bullshit in LA ffs.

Kiki

Log Wizard
My understanding is that Austin has implemented some totalitarian, California-esque polices today about mask wearing and shit through August. Is this expected to be a thing? We’re planning on checking out neighborhoods there at the end of July and I’m not trying to suffocate in 100 degree heat. I’m trying to leave this bullshit in LA ffs.

San Antonio just did it too. They had the most cases they've ever had a few days ago so shit is gonna go sideways again.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
SA has already swallowed a few cities like Leon Springs and it's just getting bigger.

Yup going up I-35 leaving SA there used to the end of SA before you got to Schertz. It's all one town now. When I was there lived in Garden Ridge, it's right at the edge of the city limits of SA but luckily it's outside of Bexar county being in Comal county which helped with the taxes and such.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
AladainAF AladainAF What is the trusted early voting calendar/location?

I went to the same place I always vote (MT Market) and the voting wasn't there but all signs indicate it should have been.

This seems to be inaccurate then? Complete List: Travis County Early Voting and Election Day Locations

I voted at Bee Cave city hall at Hill Country Galleria. Took about 1.5 hours to wait in line and voting for all the Republicans or the male non democrat if there were no republicans, or simply skipping if democrat only took 2 minutes. I didnt even pay attention to the names other than making sure I didnt vote for a single democrat or non Republican woman.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
My husband and I have the Austin area on our shortlist along with CO because he's yet another Big Tech worker. My employer has a satellite office there, too, so I'd be able to transfer without a job search, which would be nice.

However, I've heard housing prices are going parabolic, and I've also heard the horror stories about the homeless situation and property crime getting to be as bad as Cali. Both of us are introvert yuppies who just want peace and quiet.

Any thoughts on neighborhoods we could check?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
My husband and I have the Austin area on our shortlist along with CO because he's yet another Big Tech worker. My employer has a satellite office there, too, so I'd be able to transfer without a job search, which would be nice.

However, I've heard housing prices are going parabolic, and I've also heard the horror stories about the homeless situation and property crime getting to be as bad as Cali. Both of us are introvert yuppies who just want peace and quiet.

If you move to Austin, you don't move to Austin. You move to Huto or Buda or whatever suburb is closest to the facility you'll be working at. Just my advice, unless you have an extra grand to spend on your mortgage and are prepared for max increases in property value and property taxes every year that you have to fight to keep under the 10% increase limit.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Austin is a cute mini-California in an otherwise free, non-retarded state. I used to really enjoy the downtown but now I'm just disgusted by the politics and crime spikes and random homeless you'll see pissing on the sidewalk. If you absolutely must go there, stay well outside of the city limits.