Autonomous Systems

Would you ever own an autonomous vehicle?

• Hell yeah Bring on our robotic overlords!

• Fuck you! I'll keep my Indepenence

Results are only viewable after voting.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

This seems like an extremely complicated solution in search of a problem. I can imagine situations where you would want a robot to follow you but no one is saying "I wouldn't mind traveling at all if only I didn't have to hold onto the handle of my rolling suitcase while I walk through the airport."

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I'm just waiting for hackers to inevitably hack into this suitcase thing and cause distressed travellers to run around airports chasing their runaway luggage! :D

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Once autonomous cars are proven to be safer than humans (ie cheaper for insurance companies) we will be forced into using them whether we want to or not. Nap or fap on the way to work from then onwards. Oh brave new world.

• 1Solidarity

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I hope someone is working on how to clean these new autonomous car networks.

I don't want to get into my commuter car after some dude just spent 30 minutes whacking it on his way to work.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
That will be the job that all of the out of work taxi and truck drivers get.

When I was 21 I went into one of those peep shows where you go into a booth and put in quarters and the window opens. I didn't realize that the quarters just get the window open and you still have to tip the strippers to get them to do anything. I didn't have much cash so I left and passed a 60 year old guy with a mop bucket on my way out. That was when I realized that dudes jerk off in those booths. At the time all I thought about it was that I wanted to burn my shoes. Looking back at it now, I wonder what went wrong in that guy's life that led to him spending his golden years mopping jizz in a peep show booth for a living.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
That will be the job that all of the out of work taxi and truck drivers get.

When I was 21 I went into one of those peep shows where you go into a booth and put in quarters and the window opens. I didn't realize that the quarters just get the window open and you still have to tip the strippers to get them to do anything. I didn't have much cash so I left and passed a 60 year old guy with a mop bucket on my way out. That was when I realized that dudes jerk off in those booths. At the time all I thought about it was that I wanted to burn my shoes. Looking back at it now, I wonder what went wrong in that guy's life that led to him spending his golden years mopping jizz in a peep show booth for a living.
You've met @Screamfeeder ?

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Also, I'm sure any autonomous vehicles that are not personally owned will have some sort of video surveillance

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
People talk about how often others will fuck with your autonomous stuff, but I feel like it's unlikely purely because of fear of the devices and how much surveillance they'll probably have, especially larger autonomous systems.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't believe for a minute that we're all going to be riding communally owned vehicles. Even if a vehicle is 100% autonomous, there's still good reasons to own a private one. Dudes jacking off in one being a very good reason, but there's other varying individual requirements that lead to the range of vehicles available today.

No reason there can't be communally owned services as well, but most of us prefer to pay a premium to own a car instead of riding the bus today, and I don't see that changing.

Fortunately, big business is on my side here as I'm sure they'd rather sell every person on the planet their own autonomous car, instead of just a few to some government. Lobbying will make it so.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'd like to talk about service models for the remote management of autonomous vehicle fleets but I think I should probably try to put ideas down on paper and patent them.

I definitely think lots of companies would subscribe to some kind of fleet-as-a-service model for their autonomous vehicles.

Last edited:

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
Also, I'm sure any autonomous vehicles that are not personally owned will have some sort of video surveillance
Now is the time to get in on the ground floor of that Autonomous mobile strip club venture!

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I don't believe for a minute that we're all going to be riding communally owned vehicles. Even if a vehicle is 100% autonomous, there's still good reasons to own a private one. Dudes jacking off in one being a very good reason, but there's other varying individual requirements that lead to the range of vehicles available today.

No reason there can't be communally owned services as well, but most of us prefer to pay a premium to own a car instead of riding the bus today, and I don't see that changing.

Fortunately, big business is on my side here as I'm sure they'd rather sell every person on the planet their own autonomous car, instead of just a few to some government. Lobbying will make it so.
I think it'll be a generational thing.

Our generation, our parent's generation, their parent's generation and even our kid's generation view car ownership as the largest provider of freedom since we learned how to ride a bike.

But our grandkids? If autonomous vehicles provide that level of freedom by the time they're 10 and can legally use the AutoUber system, owning a car might make very little sense to them because it'll only prevent the 5 minutes of waiting for the AutoUber to roll up.

That's a big if though. And won't be relevant to rural people of course.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
It's also a cultural thing. People living in the centre of big cities often don't own cars (or even have drivers licenses). IIRC I read once that half of New Yorkers didn't own a car? These people will probably be happy with changing out the Yellow cabs for autonomous shared vehicles. But yeah, suburbanites and rural folks less so.

Then there is also the lifestyle choice. Where I live I could easily get away with not owning a car, but I happen to really enjoy going on weekend drives. If I did the math I could probably come to the outcome that financially it would be better for me to not own a car and rent one during the weekends or something, but I like the freedom of choice, the prestige of owning my own vehicle, knowing that every KM on the odometer has been driven by me, taking care of it. Small things like that. Sure, there are plenty of people out there who don't give a shit about these things, just as I don't give a shit about people who bike everywhere, but there are also plenty of people like me who just like driving.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
It's also a cultural thing. People living in the centre of big cities often don't own cars (or even have drivers licenses). IIRC I read once that half of New Yorkers didn't own a car? These people will probably be happy with changing out the Yellow cabs for autonomous shared vehicles. But yeah, suburbanites and rural folks less so.

Then there is also the lifestyle choice. Where I live I could easily get away with not owning a car, but I happen to really enjoy going on weekend drives. If I did the math I could probably come to the outcome that financially it would be better for me to not own a car and rent one during the weekends or something, but I like the freedom of choice, the prestige of owning my own vehicle, knowing that every KM on the odometer has been driven by me, taking care of it. Small things like that. Sure, there are plenty of people out there who don't give a shit about these things, just as I don't give a shit about people who bike everywhere, but there are also plenty of people like me who just like driving.

Yea I hate to be 'that guy' but there is an awful lot of sq miles of Murica that aren't anything like driving in a city from your home garage to another single parking spot.

I mean, what options are there yet for parking in a self-driving car? How does it decide where to go? Does it know when you go to a state park that you have to stop at the ranger booth or does it just see no obstacle and just drive past? Will it detect ruts in a dirt road and if it does will it analyze them and straddle the ruts safely or just stop and beep? How will it know to park by the food court at the mall instead of the closest entrance? What will it do when you approach a gas or charging station, just pick any line? Guess?

Seems like supercruise and a taxi concept are fairly obtainable (if not priced friendly yet) but I don't see how it will be mature enough to replace a manually driven car in the 'computer take us to the next showing of Star Wars Shitty Spinoff Twelve' sense.

• 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Yea I hate to be 'that guy' but there is an awful lot of sq miles of Murica that aren't anything like driving in a city from your home garage to another single parking spot.

I mean, what options are there yet for parking in a self-driving car? How does it decide where to go? Does it know when you go to a state park that you have to stop at the ranger booth or does it just see no obstacle and just drive past? Will it detect ruts in a dirt road and if it does will it analyze them and straddle the ruts safely or just stop and beep? How will it know to park by the food court at the mall instead of the closest entrance? What will it do when you approach a gas or charging station, just pick any line? Guess?

Seems like supercruise and a taxi concept are fairly obtainable (if not priced friendly yet) but I don't see how it will be mature enough to replace a manually driven car in the 'computer take us to the next showing of Star Wars Shitty Spinoff Twelve' sense.
Answering you what ifs in order.

Well if it isn't a personal vehicle, it just goes and does some other task.

Are we assuming there are zero infrastructure upgrades elsewhere? Why wouldn't autonomous vehicles recieve data and communicate with other vehicles or computerized stations/objects?

Why wouldn't with lidar and other sensor technologies would it beable to detect road defects and move on the fly?

"Siri, drop me off near entrance x bear the fpod court." Or some other manual input to direct the vehicle.

Communicate with other vehicles and the station? Car X at station 2 is 98% charged and the car behind it on average takes 30 minutes to charge. Enter line at station 3 for fastest charging. Also car go charge yourself and grab a beer while I'm working.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

Bonus: You never have to pay a toll fee again because your autonomous car will just whiz by as you give an apologetic shrug at the attendee.

But yes, your larger point is the #1 thing that is going to be tough to surmount for a 100% autonomous or level 5 vehicle:
https://www.sae.org/misc/pdfs/automated_driving.pdf

You'll see different demonstrations like the google one of the blind guy going through a drivethrough, but it's really difficult to have a generalized solution to ALL the specific corner cases.

It's a similar problem to a lot of AI type systems. Ex: the speech commands on your phone. Going from "Ok Google, take me home." to "Ok google, let's go." and it knowing where you want to go is a huge leap.

Last edited: