Autonomous Systems

Would you ever own an autonomous vehicle?

• Hell yeah Bring on our robotic overlords!

• Fuck you! I'll keep my Indepenence

Results are only viewable after voting.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I remember reading a while back the movement and sorting of stuff this is the same size/shape is easy compared to picking up non standard stuff that would be in a wharehouse like Amazon that boxes up hundreds if not thousands of different items.

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
Variation always adds complexity in manufacturing. The path forward there is really machine learning and vision processing. There are still challenges of the tool you use to manage the payload (consider picking up a small box holding a piece of jewely vs something large and heavy like a box of kitty litter). All technically manageable, but it becomes more complex in a hurry.

I'm in this industry and we have about 100 systems deployed in our plant (between collaborative robots and AGVs). When faced with challenges like that it is easy to say something can't be done. I pointed out to my team when we started this path 5 years ago that when tasked to walk on water an engineer doesn't say it can't be done, we figure out how to freeze the lake.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Amazon would get more productivity out of their workers if they had mostly black guys, turned off the air and gave out free frozen watermelon for the last 30 minutes of the shift once a week. Always worked for me. Goes the same for the white guys. "Can we get watermelon tody?" Soon as the job gets done and gone.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Everything this guy says about automation is golden. Especially about 99% being ez and 99.9% being super hard.

The only big thing he missed (but almost touched on) is that most of the demonstrated systems don't work well in tough environments. Real groups are trying to work well in snow / heavy rain, but this shit is hard.

io2018-406.jpg

For consumers a level 4 automation dropping to 1-2 in shitty weather isn't a big deal, I mean, we can't really blame our car when it throws up its hands in this:

But a lot of people (#yanggang) talk about the societal impacts of driverless cars taking over the trucking industry. Too bad that shit won't happen even if Yang gets elected for the next three terms.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
That's pretty awesome, not really nightmare fuelly.

Frankly I'm shocked noone's leaked any videos of those things armed at Fort Irwin NTC clearing out whole mockup goatfucker cities room by room in mere minutes.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Interesting thread on the DC-Baltimore Boring loop. Obviously a two lane highway sunken into the ground that services 2k cars a day doesn't make that much economic sense, but it'll be a great proof of concept that could scale up in the future if it goes through.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Elon says his autonomous system makes lidar obsolete. Expecting to have their autonomous robo-taxi system operating by next year. Wouldn't be Elon if he wasn't disrupting! (And full of shit).

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Interesting thread on the DC-Baltimore Boring loop. Obviously a two lane highway sunken into the ground that services 2k cars a day doesn't make that much economic sense, but it'll be a great proof of concept that could scale up in the future if it goes through.

As long as it doesn't have variable tolls depending on the traffic that average $30 each way each day.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Elon says his autonomous system makes lidar obsolete. Expecting to have their autonomous robo-taxi system operating by next year. Wouldn't be Elon if he wasn't disrupting! (And full of shit).
‘Anyone relying on lidar is doomed,’ Elon Musk says – TechCrunch

*laughs in 128 layers*

Lidar tech is blowing up, some of the solid state stuff on the horizon is going to be yuge, but the current tech offers sensing that fits very nicely in the gaps between ultrasonics, radar and optical. Elon / Tesla have done some great things with autonomy without it, but it's only getting better and cheaper at an alarming rate.

The VLS-128 is expensive AF though. I'm sure velodyne is making a cheaper version somewhere between it and the vlp 16 that'll be on the sub 10k range for low-rate buyers. Waymo is making their own, which sounds dumb. The big three and most automotive groups are partnering with quanergy/velodyne/ouster etc.

• 1EyeRoll

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
‘Anyone relying on lidar is doomed,’ Elon Musk says – TechCrunch

*laughs in 128 layers*

Lidar tech is blowing up, some of the solid state stuff on the horizon is going to be yuge, but the current tech offers sensing that fits very nicely in the gaps between ultrasonics, radar and optical. Elon / Tesla have done some great things with autonomy without it, but it's only getting better and cheaper at an alarming rate.

The VLS-128 is expensive AF though. I'm sure velodyne is making a cheaper version somewhere between it and the vlp 16 that'll be on the sub 10k range for low-rate buyers. Waymo is making their own, which sounds dumb. The big three and most automotive groups are partnering with quanergy/velodyne/ouster etc.
Velodyne out, luminar is all the rage. Is their tech delivers as promised it's yuge. Bit skeptical tho.