Autonomous Systems

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Would you ever own an autonomous vehicle?

• Hell yeah Bring on our robotic overlords!

• Fuck you! I'll keep my Indepenence

Results are only viewable after voting.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
The boob physics still need some work but they're on the right path!

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It's funny how we've consistently seen demoes of procedurally / AI driven art content, but 3d models/texture costs have skyrocketed over the last ten years.

I'd love to see AI-driven art generation in some game, where a limited budget creates massive permutations of models, textures and animatinos.

My gues sis that it'd look like a cracked out Oblivion.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

Boring Company approved to build a tunnel entrance inside a residential garage

Boring-Co-garage-800x474.jpg

iannis

Musty Nester
I still think they're all absolutely insane.

there are reasons no one built a subway in california.

of course the middle class flight once the tax bill for upkeep comes due probably WILL relieve congestion on their roads.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

Too bad they didn't get the steer tracking done in time, the bumpy ride from the rail system is such a fixable problem that is going to taint it for a lot of people.

iannis

Musty Nester
It honestly seems like a great idea for somewhere that isn't earthquake prone. Or like a large part of la is built on top of a landfill.

musk is a genius and all. But Newton had numerology and tesla believed in magic and shit.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It honestly seems like a great idea for somewhere that isn't earthquake prone. Or like a large part of la is built on top of a landfill.

musk is a genius and all. But Newton had numerology and tesla believed in magic and shit.
Isn't the safest place to be during an earthquake somewhere 30+ feet deep?

• 2Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
The whole point of the boring company was to build tunnels for his hyperloop thing. And one of the challenges for the hyperloop thing was thermal expansion, which a bunch of cucks whined about incessantly as if building vacuum tunnels that don't suffer catastrophic implosion was STILL a hard problem and not one that was solved decades ago----by building it in a tunnel.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The whole point of the boring company was to build tunnels for his hyperloop thing. And one of the challenges for the hyperloop thing was thermal expansion, which a bunch of cucks whined about incessantly as if building vacuum tunnels that don't suffer catastrophic implosion was STILL a hard problem and not one that was solved decades ago----by building it in a tunnel.
I don't disagree with your point about thermal expansion and tunnels, but the purpose of the boring company is to:
1. Fill a current need that exists.
2. Make $$$.
3. Improve boring tech that will be useful for a Mars base.

The hyperloop thing is like, a distant second to all of that. Hyperloops don't have to work in any capacity for Boring Company to be wildly successful.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Elon musk forgot about erfquakes and good luck getting a firetruck in there when a fault line goes right through your shitty battery pack and starts a lithium fire.

• 1Worf
  • 1Seriously?

iannis

Musty Nester
I know they're building them segmented and somewhat flexible. There's a lot of thought that's gone into it. And yeah, deeper is safest. It's the -est there that's a problem.

the subway in New York costs a lot to maintain. The maintenance on This one will be even higher, and the volume lower.

It seems like a really great idea for other applications.

the California taxpayer is kickstarting a mars tube, but they're being told it's a monorail. There's gonna be some angst when they realize this is not an effective engineering solution.

he should have sold it as a mass transit system. Cargo container mass, not people. Bulk Transport. I can honestly envision no possible future in which the burden of maintenance is not passed to the State where the profits from operation are shared with Musk. This tech might be new, but the political process is older than the Apian Way. You would have to do a traffic study (and I'm sure they've been done), but I would bet 5 dollars that bulk transport would have a greater positive effect on reducing traffic congestion than what amounts to personal subway train cars. One less restock truck going to the food lion to offload a pallet of noodles per day... that'll add up real fast. Much harder to sell, granted. Because then he's coming for yer JERBS and it's automation of transport. Hell, he might have tried to sell it that way first and hit that wall.

It's not complicated. A whole lot of people are just lying. And the first fatality in this thing will negate public support. That is inevitable. But at that point it's too late and what they'll talk about then is relative risk. All for a subsidized proof of concept serving gated communities.

There's a lot of problems here that Musk would rather not talk about. He just says, "well, you know. A hole is better than no hole" and people cheer like he just threw a winning touchdown. He's focused on the tech. Which is great. HE should be. He has proven to be very good at that. Edison, tbh. Possibly Ford although you can't say that yet. There's more problems here than just the tech.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Traffic Census Program

Feel free to look up traffic data but your point is really a non starter since everyone knows peak traffic isn't freight based and also freight is typically long distance that wouldn't make a good pilot system. Of course freight is a potential (i think Chicago had a system for a long time moving coal) but focusing on people first is a no brainer.

iannis

Musty Nester
Well, if my assumption is wrong maybe it makes more sense. I'm willing to be proven wrong. I find it hard to believe that freight traffic isn't more influential on congestion than residential. But maybe it's not.

This looks like raw counts though. A dumptruck and a prius are not created equal.

I take the point though.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, i'm lookin at it.

I'm not as right as I think I am.

Which is a bummer, cause it's fun to call californians stupid.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I know they're building them segmented and somewhat flexible. There's a lot of thought that's gone into it. And yeah, deeper is safest. It's the -est there that's a problem.

the subway in New York costs a lot to maintain. The maintenance on This one will be even higher, and the volume lower.

It seems like a really great idea for other applications.

the California taxpayer is kickstarting a mars tube, but they're being told it's a monorail. There's gonna be some angst when they realize this is not an effective engineering solution.

he should have sold it as a mass transit system. Cargo container mass, not people. Bulk Transport. I can honestly envision no possible future in which the burden of maintenance is not passed to the State where the profits from operation are shared with Musk. This tech might be new, but the political process is older than the Apian Way. You would have to do a traffic study (and I'm sure they've been done), but I would bet 5 dollars that bulk transport would have a greater positive effect on reducing traffic congestion than what amounts to personal subway train cars. One less restock truck going to the food lion to offload a pallet of noodles per day... that'll add up real fast. Much harder to sell, granted. Because then he's coming for yer JERBS and it's automation of transport. Hell, he might have tried to sell it that way first and hit that wall.

It's not complicated. A whole lot of people are just lying. And the first fatality in this thing will negate public support. That is inevitable. But at that point it's too late and what they'll talk about then is relative risk. All for a subsidized proof of concept serving gated communities.

There's a lot of problems here that Musk would rather not talk about. He just says, "well, you know. A hole is better than no hole" and people cheer like he just threw a winning touchdown. He's focused on the tech. Which is great. HE should be. He has proven to be very good at that. Edison, tbh. Possibly Ford although you can't say that yet. There's more problems here than just the tech.
giphy.gif

But seriously, there is only really one big technical question with the Boring Company and that's how cheap Elon can get boring + tunnel construction. If he can reduce it nearly as much as he says he can, everything else will fall into place.

Last edited:

rad

Lord of Guk
I still think they're all absolutely insane.

there are reasons no one built a subway in california.

of course the middle class flight once the tax bill for upkeep comes due probably WILL relieve congestion on their roads.

Contrary to popular belief, one of the safest places in an earthquake is a tunnel. I got corrected on this topic by a buddy who is quite literally a rocket engineer. Made for an interesting discussion ending with me looking like an ass. LA once had the longest electric subway transit system in the world and although the reasons for its downfall can be debated, it's not due to shakes.