Avengers: Endgame (2019)

Hosix

All labs matter!
To kinda go along with this, I'd really like to see them subvert some expectations and have the Avengers actually fail to undo The Snap ™. Then if they go after Thanos a la "if we can't save the world, we'll avenge it," just have Thanos pull a "Do what you must, I've already won," and just outright refuse to fight.

I would be good with that and I bet some salty tears would rain down.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
That's the point, just like it is with Earth-based enviro's: They're, like Thanos, are pseudo-religious crazies. It's not a solution at all. It's just his goal.

He's painted as dead serious and rational, and there's no way that a hollywood movie isn't using such motives as a sympathetic thing. The issue is that his motive is lost in translation from the comics.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
He's painted as dead serious and rational, and there's no way that a hollywood movie isn't using such motives as a sympathetic thing. The issue is that his motive is lost in translation from the comics.
It's a completely different goal than in the comics, though; You have to take what is presented in the movies and not consider the comics. Titan was destroyed by something, which Thanos presents as a crash due to over-population and thus this goal henceforth in the movies is to acquire the stones to allow him to enact the 50% rule, rather than do it planet by planet with conventional arms. It has been said a number of times, though, all we have to go in all of the cases Thanos presents, Titan and Gamora's homeworld, is Thanos' word and he appears to be an unreliable narrator. He may be "dead serious and rational" but towards a completely crazy, sociopathic end.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It's a completely different goal than in the comics, though; You have to take what is presented in the movies and not consider the comics. Titan was destroyed by something, which Thanos presents as a crash due to over-population and thus this goal henceforth in the movies is to acquire the stones to allow him to enact the 50% rule, rather than do it planet by planet with conventional arms. It has been said a number of times, though, all we have to go in all of the cases Thanos presents, Titan and Gamora's homeworld, is Thanos' word and he appears to be an unreliable narrator. He may be "dead serious and rational" but towards a completely crazy, sociopathic end.

I'm not considering what happened in the comics other than to give context to what is lacking in his motives in the movie. They chose to keep some of it, but discard the pieces that actually made any of it make sense.

Painting him as some sort of unthinking zealous fanatic just doesn't fit anything that is presented on screen. He's composed and rational which means he would have had to put some thought into what his actions would achieve, and any idiot with a couple brain cells to rub together would see that it would accomplish nothing. This isn't some jackoff graduating from print-a-diploma-university of California with a majors in eco-studies. He's a galactic warlord with a legion of followers. If there was some sort of sign that he was unstable or irrational, then I would agree with you. As it is, he's just a sociopath, but showing compassion at times, which means he understands the repercussions, repercussions from accomplishing nothing.

Motives aside, I still really enjoyed everything else about him. It's just that one bit that rubs me raw.

• 2Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Until they breed back the lost 50% within a couple centuries, bringing the universe right back to where it was before and Thanos wonders why he didn't just severely reduce the reproductive abilities of all the species, or create sources of infinite resources.

Worst god-power usage, ever.

I mean, shit, conjure up a ring world for every solar system in the universe. Boom. Problem solved for good.

'Thanos the _Mad_ Titan'. He's mentioned in that way in the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
'Thanos the _Mad_ Titan'. He's mentioned in that way in the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

Which is from the comics, and accurately describes his comic persona. He's nothing like it in A:IW. They drastically changed his personality in order to make him sympathetic. Can you think of anything in it that fits "The Mad" other than a stupid sociopathic plan?

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Which is from the comics, and accurately describes his comic persona. He's nothing like it in A:IW. They drastically changed his personality in order to make him sympathetic. Can you think of anything in it that fits "The Mad" other than a stupid sociopathic plan?

Wearing a gold suit with that skin-tone is a pretty questionable decision.

• 7Like
  • 4Worf
Reactions: 10 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah the plan just sort of feels off without the whole Death thing. Thought they might dip into some of that with Hela, but nope.

• 2Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
This is some GOT level nitpicking. Glad I never read the comics and can just enjoy the movies for what they are.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sterling

El Presidente
This is some GOT level nitpicking. Glad I never read the comics and can just enjoy the movies for what they are.
The movie was really good. You can call it nitpicking but when the main villain's motivation makes much more sense in one medium people are going to bring it up. Last couple seasons of GoT isn't nitpicking, the writing is just terrible.

• 2Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

The complaint doesn't really have anything to do with the comics. It's entirely about a plot element of the movie that makes no damn sense at all. Any talk of the comics is to demonstrate where the fault comes from. And I don't know about you, but I like villains to have sensible motives, especially when they're the big bad that 20 other movies have led up to.

Who knows, maybe Thanos realizes that he was a fucking idiot and becomes Thanos "The Mad Titan" as a result and goes apeshit while trying to kill off the remaining 50%

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
there is some basis in Thanos's logic, when a species becomes too abundant. say deer. they start to fuck with the environment. deer related car accidents start to spike. when that happens areas with no no deer hunting rules will suspend it in order for them to be thinned by hunters. it works well and in the long run the remaining deer become healthier and there will be less car accidents. plus for everyone. where thanos's logic becomes flawed is when you take into account the unlimited powers of the full gemmed Infinity Glove. he can will into existence more resources and can even move these people to uninhabited planets and make those planets habitable. also deer or bear are not sentient beings. you remove half the population and you will have terrible infrastructure failures on a global scale. the remaining populous will suffer a massive dying event when there are limited tech and food delivery in place.

• 2Picard

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
there is some basis in Thanos's logic, when a species becomes too abundant. say deer. they start to fuck with the environment. deer related car accidents start to spike. when that happens areas with no no deer hunting rules will suspend it in order for them to be thinned by hunters. it works well and in the long run the remaining deer become healthier and there will be less car accidents. plus for everyone. where thanos's logic becomes flawed is when you take into account the unlimited powers of the full gemmed Infinity Glove. he can will into existence more resources and can even move these people to uninhabited planets and make those planets habitable. also deer or bear are not sentient beings. you remove half the population and you will have terrible infrastructure failures on a global scale. the remaining populous will suffer a massive dying event when there are limited tech and food delivery in place.

What?

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Maul

Dental Dammer
Mad to make Karen Gillan and Zoey Saldana his daughters instead of concubines.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
there's a couple of very similar lines in the previous movies... stark asks peter why he does what he does, basically saying that when you can do what he can but dont, when the bad guys win its his fault. stark tells cap basically the same.. that pepper and he broke up because he CANT not be ironman. he KNOWS bad things are going to happen, and since he has the knowledge, the ability and the willpower, the choice is irrelevant. he is compelled to act. weve seen time and again where the heroes act, and people are hurt, but we dont question them because the act, in and of itself, is noble. we dont stop and question why they made certain choices because the choices they were left with were impossible to make, and yet, they choose anyway.

thanos is mirrored in this on purpose. he has the knowledge, the ability and the willpower to pull this off, where no one else does. theres a scene where hes hopeful that gamora will understand him, which she doesnt, and hes heartbroken. you can see in his eyes the moment he remembers that this is his sacred task and only he understands because only HE can accomplish it. the point that it doesnt make sense to any of the viewers just builds his case

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
If you look at Thanos as being an avatar of death and how that relates to his idea that he has to "balance" things out, then it makes more sense for him to want to kill half instead of making unlimited/more resources.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
movie looks like shit. will wait for torrent.

• 4Worf
  • 2Picard
  • 2EyeRoll
Reactions: 9 users