Avengers: Endgame (2019)

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Bleh. Is there a way around the bug where the thread will not show if the OP is someone I have on ignore... The only way to access the thread is to hope it is #1 on the subforum...

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Bleh. Is there a way around the bug where the thread will not show if the OP is someone I have on ignore... The only way to access the thread is to hope it is #1 on the subforum...
Bug the mods enough to code a fix for the forum, otherwise manually bookmark it

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I don't have an issue with Thanos motivation, I think they are internally very consistent and make sense from his point of you. I'll simplify the whole thing.

Titan, it's overpopulated, he proposes to kill half the people in a lottery to avoid war over limited resources. No one believes him, he doesn't do anything...war ensues and Titan gets destroyed.

Then he goes to other planets(Gamora) which have the same problem Titan had and he does kill have the population, and it becomes a paradise.

His solution to the overpopulation problem works.

Doing one planet at a time is too slow though, while he saves a few more gets destroyed by wars. He needs a faster way to do it, enter the infinity stones. He learns of the stone and that he could wipe half the universe at once, it's perfect. Do what's been working on one world at a time and do it to the entire universe at once.

He never look for another solution at this point because he's been doing it this way for decades and it's working. What he wants the stones with isn't for a different solution, it's just to be able to implement his solution(that works) on a global scale.

It's consistent, it makes sense from his point of view. He goes on about how it doesn't bring him joy but it's something that needs to be done, because he has seen personally what happen when nothing is done. They talk about what an honor it is to die for this, since your sacrifice will saves others for generations.

I mean we all probably have come across people who do stuff one way and refuse to change because it's working, even though there's a different way to do it that might be better. It might be dumb and stupid, but it's still happens all the time, Thanos is no different, just the scale of what he is doing is different.

I don't have an issue, and I don't think it's a plot hole.

• 5Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 5 users

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I dunno, he assembles a god glove. Couldn't he just snap his fingers and make infinite resources?

• 3Picard
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i mean, yeah, maybe? his mission wasnt about bailing people out though, it was about resetting balance. also, there's no evidence that the stones can pull that off without constant use.

Sevens

Log Wizard
I don't have an issue with Thanos motivation, I think they are internally very consistent and make sense from his point of you. I'll simplify the whole thing.

Titan, it's overpopulated, he proposes to kill half the people in a lottery to avoid war over limited resources. No one believes him, he doesn't do anything...war ensues and Titan gets destroyed.

Then he goes to other planets(Gamora) which have the same problem Titan had and he does kill have the population, and it becomes a paradise.

His solution to the overpopulation problem works.

Doing one planet at a time is too slow though, while he saves a few more gets destroyed by wars. He needs a faster way to do it, enter the infinity stones. He learns of the stone and that he could wipe half the universe at once, it's perfect. Do what's been working on one world at a time and do it to the entire universe at once.

He never look for another solution at this point because he's been doing it this way for decades and it's working. What he wants the stones with isn't for a different solution, it's just to be able to implement his solution(that works) on a global scale.

It's consistent, it makes sense from his point of view. He goes on about how it doesn't bring him joy but it's something that needs to be done, because he has seen personally what happen when nothing is done. They talk about what an honor it is to die for this, since your sacrifice will saves others for generations.

I mean we all probably have come across people who do stuff one way and refuse to change because it's working, even though there's a different way to do it that might be better. It might be dumb and stupid, but it's still happens all the time, Thanos is no different, just the scale of what he is doing is different.

I don't have an issue, and I don't think it's a plot hole.

So very well said *Golf Clap* I couldn't agree more

j00t

there's a couple of very similar lines in the previous movies... stark asks peter why he does what he does, basically saying that when you can do what he can but dont, when the bad guys win its his fault. stark tells cap basically the same.. that pepper and he broke up because he CANT not be ironman. he KNOWS bad things are going to happen, and since he has the knowledge, the ability and the willpower, the choice is irrelevant. he is compelled to act. weve seen time and again where the heroes act, and people are hurt, but we dont question them because the act, in and of itself, is noble. we dont stop and question why they made certain choices because the choices they were left with were impossible to make, and yet, they choose anyway.

thanos is mirrored in this on purpose. he has the knowledge, the ability and the willpower to pull this off, where no one else does. theres a scene where hes hopeful that gamora will understand him, which she doesnt, and hes heartbroken. you can see in his eyes the moment he remembers that this is his sacred task and only he understands because only HE can accomplish it. the point that it doesnt make sense to any of the viewers just builds his case

im replying to myself because im pretentious enough to pull it off. i just re-watched infinity war and this idea makes the "you're not the only one cursed with knowledge" bit even better.

there's a piece where both stark and thanos wish they werent burdened with what they know, because it forces their hand. stark WANTS to just retire and raise a family with pepper, but he KNOWS that forces like thanos are out there so he's forced to act. thanos WANTS to do nothing, but he KNOWS that if he does that, people will suffer.

and the gems being all powerful... its true, but there is a sense of impermanence when they are used. thanos turns drax into cubes and mantis into ribbons, but as soon as he leaves, they reform back into their unaltered state. i honestly dont really find it to be that big of a plot hole at all, though. he found success in his original idea so theres no reason to alter it.

there IS; however, evidence that altering reality to change birth rates, or to create infinite resources would reset as soon as he stopped concentrating on it. and when he finger snaps, making a one-time, singular change on a universal level destroyed the gauntlet and caused all kinds of burns marks all over his arm up to his neck. its entirely plausible that creating infinite resources would only be temporary and would kill him in the process

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
im replying to myself because im pretentious enough to pull it off. i just re-watched infinity war and this idea makes the "you're not the only one cursed with knowledge" bit even better.

there's a piece where both stark and thanos wish they werent burdened with what they know, because it forces their hand. stark WANTS to just retire and raise a family with pepper, but he KNOWS that forces like thanos are out there so he's forced to act. thanos WANTS to do nothing, but he KNOWS that if he does that, people will suffer.

and the gems being all powerful... its true, but there is a sense of impermanence when they are used. thanos turns drax into cubes and mantis into ribbons, but as soon as he leaves, they reform back into their unaltered state. i honestly dont really find it to be that big of a plot hole at all, though. he found success in his original idea so theres no reason to alter it.

there IS; however, evidence that altering reality to change birth rates, or to create infinite resources would reset as soon as he stopped concentrating on it. and when he finger snaps, making a one-time, singular change on a universal level destroyed the gauntlet and caused all kinds of burns marks all over his arm up to his neck. its entirely plausible that creating infinite resources would only be temporary and would kill him in the process

This is probably the only close explanation I've seen that gives it sense to me. I still don't think his actions would have any actual lasting effect for his goals, but I'm willing to just go with "it's simply the best he could manage, it had to be good enough" and leave it at that. All other elements of the character were good enough that I don't mind suspending belief on it.

j00t

This is probably the only close explanation I've seen that gives it sense to me. I still don't think his actions would have any actual lasting effect for his goals, but I'm willing to just go with "it's simply the best he could manage, it had to be good enough" and leave it at that. All other elements of the character were good enough that I don't mind suspending belief on it.

yeah, honestly the movie has too many other things going for it that spending too much time on this one thing is pretty disingenuous to everything else. if thanos was just a one note regular villain then it'd be fine to overly criticize his plan.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The 'Avengers: Endgame' Will Be The Longest Marvel Film, Says Joe Russo
"There's a high probability that this movie will clock in at around three hours," co-director Joe Russo told Empire. "It's a big movie with a lot of story."

When Russo said in early November that Avengers 4 was knocking on three hours in the edit, there was always the assumption that it would be chiselled down to the something approaching the other Avengers films' runtimes - The Avengers is 143 minutes, Age of Ultron is 144 minutes, and Infinity War is 149 minutes - but as he should probably know what's happening with his own film, the prospect of a beefy 180-minuter is very real indeed.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Szlia

The accountants and theaters will not like that much, because, when you get past some duration, you basically lose one screening a day per screen. Obviously there is a Titanic counter-example and the mountain of money it made despite its 195 min run time, but it's considered an outlier in more ways than one (for instance it was supposed to be released in the summer, but because of delays in SFX, it was released on December 19!).

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The accountants and theaters will not like that much, because, when you get past some duration, you basically lose one screening a day per screen. Obviously there is a Titanic counter-example and the mountain of money it made despite its 195 min run time, but it's considered an outlier in more ways than one (for instance it was supposed to be released in the summer, but because of delays in SFX, it was released on December 19!).

Accountants can fuck right off. They've ruined many products and have never improved anything from a fan's perspective

• 6Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Screenshotted>
Yeah that might be a generality but I personally love long run time movies if they’re deserving, and it has no bearing on repeatability.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users