Avengers: Endgame (2019)

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
i think strange being "critical" was that he brought everyone that was snapped back TO the battlefield. there's also stark looking at strange at the end and strange giving him the "only one" signal, which encouraged stark to do what needed to be done. though, i don't know if you'd call THAT critical.

Not sure what you guys are talking about with the "critical" thing, but Strange put everything in motion after viewing the 14 million possibilities.

Without Strange sacrificing himself, Tony was either killed or snapped and none of Endgame happens.

Jive Turkey

Karen
Biggest thing I see is that, why return the stones if the 2014 Thanos left that timeline, wouldn't they need to put Thanos back as well so everything plays out correctly?
No. There is no predetermined fate of the timeline. If Thanos leaves, that's part of that timeline. Returning the stone only protected the timeline from unknowns. The Ancient One was worried about what might happen, not what was destined to happen. Imaging going back to 1955 and borrowing the nuclear arsenal of the USA. That fucks the timeline up for them because now they exist without Mutually Assured Destruction. You need the nuclear arsenal? Okay, just return it right back here when you're done with it[/spoiler]

Jive Turkey

Karen
well yes, that's what the movie TELLS you. except then he shows up on the bench 70 years older. meaning he DIDN'T go to an equivalent timeline, he went back in HIS OWN timeline.

honestly, it's really not worth debating over. the movie takes a ton of time to tell you one thing, but then does a completely different thing just for the sake of happy ending for cap, which i can get behind. but the bottom line is that the movie broke it's own rules. it's not the end of the world or anything. it's just evidence that time travel plots are extremely difficult to do and be consistent about

He might've gone back to his timeline, but he didn't end up back in his own timeline as an old man. Something else had to have happened to bring him back to his own timeline. They didn't explain how that happened. A couple other people here speculated. But it's irrelevant as it doesn't affect the plot at all[/spoiler]

Last edited:

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I wonder if Strange's 14 million to one plan included a diva pose with all the marvel chicks?

• 4Worf
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 4 users

Jive Turkey

Karen
Actually I believe the correct answer is that Thanos came to the current timeline AFTER those events, so by returning the stones to the original timeline/places, there still is a Thanos there.

And I already know you can't change your timeline, that wasn't what I was saying at all.
The point was that if the alternate timeline was Thanoless, then there wasn't really a need to have the stones back there.

The correct answer is that alternate timelines are perpetually being created at every point in time in an infinite number of ways. That's what the Many Worlds Theory predicts apart from this movie. So even if the stones are returned before Thanos left, the realty(realities) in which he left still exists

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Actually I believe the correct answer is that Thanos came to the current timeline AFTER those events, so by returning the stones to the original timeline/places, there still is a Thanos there.

And I already know you can't change your timeline, that wasn't what I was saying at all.
The point was that if the alternate timeline was Thanoless, then there wasn't really a need to have the stones back there.

Dr Strange did need the time stone to stop Dormammu. It's not clear what effect the other stones missing would have, but there's other problems in the alternate timeline(s) than just Thanos.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I wonder if Strange's 14 million to one plan included a diva pose with all the marvel chicks?
Ha. Can you imagine if the one timeline where the avengers win is the ONLY timeline that girlvengers posed? Stark only had to survive so he could get the rescue armor up and running for pepper

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TheOkapi

Molten Core Raider
so. HOW did cap get back to the primary timeline WITHOUT being on the landing pad?

I think he just took the long way around.

Only other explanation is if he entered the main timeline and was present in the main timeline the entire time (meaning 2x Caps have been in the main timeline).

I believe this is what happened. It doesn't seem as complicated as some are making out.

It's a completely different way of approaching time travel, but it, like any method, can be hard to grasp.

I mean... isn't it just Dragonball Z time travel rules?

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
so next movie is Spidey2 then BW origin and then? lady Iron Man, Lady Hulk, Valkyrie, Lesbian Thor?

I still dont understand how Spiderman 2 will make any sense. A bunch of kids that were snapped out of existence for 5 years all go back to high school with kids who weren't snapped away for 5 years, get together and then go on a field trip?

If it's all lesbian super heros going forward I'm done. I'll buy the 22 movie box set, and just be happy I got to experience this for a decade.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
GotG is kind of its own thing, too. It would be out sooner if they didn't axe Gunn, who went right to working on the Suicide Squad sequel. Now its delayed until he's done with that movie, which means starting either 2020 or 2021.
Although now with alt-Gamora in play, we can have a kind of interesting GotG3 where the crew has to track/face Gamorra+Warlock (need a Pip somewhere to make it a perfect callback)

• 1Like

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
Ha. Can you imagine if the one timeline where the avengers win is the ONLY timeline that girlvengers posed? Stark only had to survive so he could get the rescue armor up and running for pepper

Nah. Dr. Strange just had to watch the Rat Mickey Mouse miss the button in the Ant Man Truck 14 Million times. The rest was pretty much good to go ...

Last edited:
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
since we're dropping spoilers... when spider-man goes back to school at the end... did ned get dusted too? did MJ(or whatever zendaya's character's name is)? did all his friends? he's walking into a school that is 5 years older than him.
Half of his class got dusted (on average). So he's walking back to a school where half of his class is missing... the ones who already graduated.

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
He might've gone back to his timeline, but he didn't end up back in his own timeline as an old man. Something else had to have happened to bring him back to his own timeline. They didn't explain how that happened. A couple other people here speculated. But it's irrelevant as it doesn't affect the plot at all

Still would've loved to see the Cap's awkward conversation with Red Skull as he returns the soul stone ...

• 2Like
  • 1Rustled
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
In the middle of a warzone

I was shocked they didn't snap selfies and post them to Instagram during the battle

Other than that and turning off my brain for time travel movies, I thought it was good!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Dr Strange did need the time stone to stop Dormammu. It's not clear what effect the other stones missing would have, but there's other problems in the alternate timeline(s) than just Thanos.

Vision wouldn't exist without the stone, which complicates Age of Ultron.

• 1Like