Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hyped but just gonna say, since when has thanos' goal been to destroy half of anything he has always been about destroying all life in the universe

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Hyped but just gonna say, since when has thanos' goal been to destroy half of anything he has always been about destroying all life in the universe
Are you sure? I can't Lyrical up some screenshots at a moments notice, but I'm pretty sure what he said in the trailer about finding a balance is exactly what he said in the comics too. And the legendary finger-snap that wiped out half of existence, of course.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
My current theory:

Spoilers only for info in the trailer
So they state his goal is to wipe out half the universe and that half of humanity will still be left. He says of the half that will remain "I hope they will remember you".

What if the MCU we all know and love is actually after half has been wiped out and no one does remember the half that are missing? By the end of the second movie they will have restored / recovered from an initial loss to Thanos and the universe will be restored...

Closing shots show:

The underwater city of Atlantis.

The Baxter Building in Manhattan with a giant 4 on the top.

Flyover of a large brick mansion, the point of view rotates to look at a plaque on next to the big iron gate that reads "Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters"

Phase 4 begins with a fresh soft reboot.
I personally didn't see any of those things. But it would be very clever if that's what they did.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Are you sure? I can't Lyrical up some screenshots at a moments notice, but I'm pretty sure what he said in the trailer about finding a balance is exactly what he said in the comics too. And the legendary finger-snap that wiped out half of existence, of course.
I don't know I'll have to go back and read the infinity books but in all the more recent comics it has been about total aniallation to please lady death. He'll in the most recent run he is almost there.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
I don't know I'll have to go back and read the infinity books but in all the more recent comics it has been about total aniallation to please lady death. He'll in the most recent run he is almost there.
If I remember, it was literally the first thing he did to impress Lady Death and become her equal in "Infinity Gauntlet." And by doing so he became more powerful than her, starting the whole not acknowledging him deal. There's been so many version of it though, and they said the movie is not going to be a copy of "Infinity Gauntlet." It's also ironically nothing like "Infinity War" comic with Adam Warlock and Magus.
It visually looks like "Infinity", but that story involves Thanos looking for his son on Earth who is with The Inhumans, and nothing to do with the Infinity Stones.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Gotta say though, Cap matching strtength with Thanos triggered me...hopefully hes just toying with him.
It looked like Cap was using all his strength and Thanos was looking down on him like it was no big deal.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Ah ok, yeah I haven't really read a comic other than Invincible and Y the Last Man in probably two decades. I'm pretty sure the Infinity Gauntlet storyline is the one where he destroys half of existence with the snap, in order to please her. I have no clue what they might have retconned that into or had further adventures with. I'll try to find some screenshots if I get a chance.

EDIT: Quicker than I expected.
infinity gauntlet 1-07.jpg
infinity gauntlet 1-08.jpg

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Later in the same book.
infinity gauntlet 1-27.jpg
infinity gauntlet 1-28.jpg

I still say that if they end the first movie with that scene, I will fill my pants with jizz right there.

• 5Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Hah, well done Void Void I had forotten she wanted him to do it to start with. So he gathered the Stones to do it which made him her superior.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
For the record, its my understanding that they have modified the Thanos backstory significantly for this movie. It does not involve Lady Death, who they haven't even mentioned at this point anyways. But from what I heard 2 days ago, it sounds like they did a great job of making his backstory equally interesting.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I personally didn't see any of those things. But it would be very clever if that's what they did.

Well, the set shots from Avengers 4 are reportedly filled with people in old outfits.

Whether Thanos nukes the timeline, the heroes give up on beating him in the present and try to alter the past to do it, or it is some weird montage where Stark gets the gauntlet and tries to come up with a timeline with a happy ending, remains to be seen.

But I'm convinced the MU looks way different after Avengers 4. There's too many big names whose contracts are up and the fact that out of the numerous Marvel movies in the pipeline post-A4, only a handful have announced casts (Dr Strange 2, Black Panther 2, (some of) Guardians 3) means that all bets are of for who or what survives past A4. (Again, I'll be shocked if Cap makes it out of Infinity War alive.)

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Oh man, Spider Man and Strange, I'm geeking out! That was my favorite fucking comic arc and cartoon arc as a kid. If they have Madam Web and Beyonder as a mash up story for the next Strange/Spider man I'll lose it.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ah ok, yeah I haven't really read a comic other than Invincible and Y the Last Man in probably two decades. I'm pretty sure the Infinity Gauntlet storyline is the one where he destroys half of existence with the snap, in order to please her. I have no clue what they might have retconned that into or had further adventures with. I'll try to find some screenshots if I get a chance.

Nice find', also yes on Y the last man, one of my all time favorites, the ending hit me so hard in the feels

Malkav

French Madman
That's how they should end the first movie for sure.

Just imagine, movie ends with Thanos snapping his fingers...black screen....and then the credit rolls without music...and half the names in the credits start fading out. No after credit scene.

• 6Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 8 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just imagine, movie ends with Thanos snapping his fingers...black screen....and then the credit rolls without music...and half the names in the credits start fading out. No after credit scene.

Minds would be blown.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users