Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Man, if you're an Adam Warlock fan, I'm not sure how you forget that scene. I had to fight my erection down when I saw it.

I knew who you meant right off, but I was a little confused by Fadaar saying he was associated heavily with the X-Men. Sure, like everyone in the Marvel Universe he crossed paths with the X-Men plenty of times, but he was much more involved with the cosmic side of things. Which is why I'm so disappointed that they keep saying he will have nothing to do with Infinity War. To me, you literally can't have Thanos and the Infinity Gems without Adam Warlock. I'm still holding out hope that he shows up at the end of first movie when Thanos takes the Soul Gem from him, and then he is instrumental in the second one. Probably won't happen though. Just like my boy Beta Ray Bill probably won't actually show up in Ragnarok :(

I also like how Judas Priest's Screaming for Vengeance is in that montage of covers for Warlock :p

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Man, if you're an Adam Warlock fan, I'm not sure how you forget that scene. I had to fight my erection down when I saw it.

I knew who you meant right off, but I was a little confused by Fadaar saying he was associated heavily with the X-Men. Sure, like everyone in the Marvel Universe he crossed paths with the X-Men plenty of times, but he was much more involved with the cosmic side of things. Which is why I'm so disappointed that they keep saying he will have nothing to do with Infinity War. To me, you literally can't have Thanos and the Infinity Gems without Adam Warlock. I'm still holding out hope that he shows up at the end of first movie when Thanos takes the Soul Gem from him, and then he is instrumental in the second one. Probably won't happen though. Just like my boy Beta Ray Bill probably won't actually show up in Ragnarok :(

I also like how Judas Priest's Screaming for Vengeance is in that montage of covers for Warlock :p

Yeah, I geeked the fuck out and my wife was like "uh calm down". Honestly don't know how I forgot. Probably because I'm still confused how he's not been deployed as a major player in the Infinity story.

But yes, all of what you just said. x2

I also noticed that apparently Batman even had an issue with him.

• 1Solidarity

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Adam Warlock would face fuck Batman so hard, Martha would feel it. From the grave.

(That's called lighting up the Lyrical signal!)

this literally just went up across the forums

Am13D.png

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Brad2770

You guys frothing over Adam Warlock will probably find something to bitch about like you did Ultron (whom I thought was pretty fucking cool in Avengers 2).

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
You guys frothing over Adam Warlock will probably find something to bitch about like you did Ultron (whom I thought was pretty fucking cool in Avengers 2).

I liked Ultron, and his presentation, I just feel that movie as a whole wasn't very cohesive. Or at least not as cohesive as the first. It seemed like really cool scenes were patches together, but zero transition between them. And details were missing, or certain scenes seemed arbitrary.

Fadaar

That guy
Problem with major villains like Ultron is they need more build up time. Loki had plenty of screen time prior to Avengers 1 (plus Tom Hiddleston has been awesome in the role) and Thanos is getting his tidbits here and there. Ultron didn't really get that at all, because unless you have a 3+ hour movie or 2 separate movies it's not possible.

Brad2770

I read the comics. Watched the cartoons. There has been plenty of time for build up (via those sources) Unlike Loki, Ultron has only one primary goal. You can only build up to the "destruction of everything" so much in a movie. I thought it was great. Just like any Super Intelligebt AI, he learned at a rapid pace and upgraded just as fast. He got to the point.

• 1Solidarity

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I agree that Avengers 2 didn't feel as cohesive as the first though. It's quite a challenge to properly handle so many disparate characters in a single film.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Screenshotted>
My issue with Ultron was that he just never really seemed like a real threat to the heros.

Well what has to be done to cross that threshold? After the Africa scenes when he makes off with the vibranium, the heroes themselves explain they've taken a pretty rough beating. He tooled them pretty badly (with SW/QS's help obviously, but he gets credit for wrapping them into his narrative and scheme), while making off with plenty of vibranium. They were completely impotent toward him until the very end.

If I have any criticism of Ultron's "threat" to the heroes, I'd say it comes from the DXM style "Hi I'm Vision, I'm gonna burn you out of the interwebs in 1.3 seconds of touching your head somehow" at the end, nullifying what makes him a terrifying threat -- his invulnerability due to being an AI -- but... infinity stone I guess?

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
My issue with Ultron was that he just never really seemed like a real threat to the heros.
In most marvel movies, there is no threat and/or stakes.
That is why Winter soldier is damn good movie overall (not just comic book) because you feel they (the heros) are seriously threatened.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Well what has to be done to cross that threshold? After the Africa scenes when he makes off with the vibranium, the heroes themselves explain they've taken a pretty rough beating. He tooled them pretty badly (with SW/QS's help obviously, but he gets credit for wrapping them into his narrative and scheme), while making off with plenty of vibranium. They were completely impotent toward him until the very end.

If I have any criticism of Ultron's "threat" to the heroes, I'd say it comes from the DXM style "Hi I'm Vision, I'm gonna burn you out of the interwebs in 1.3 seconds of touching your head somehow" at the end, nullifying what makes him a terrifying threat -- his invulnerability due to being an AI -- but... infinity stone I guess?

In Winter Soldier, the scenes are up close and personal - there's one person on screen facing tremendous odds. The Hydra plan to kill millions of people was kind of background noise, which is a lot like Ultron. Winter Soldier beats the shit out of Captain (because he let him). In Civil War, there's another bomb which kills a lot of people, including T'Chakka, and we get a great emotional, human scene.

If Ultron nuked a city, sort of like an experiment, before the big finale scene, that ending scenario may have held more weight. Maybe if he just brutally murdered and important person completely without emotion... Instead, he chops Smeagol's arm off, rather nonchalantly, parades around like a dickhead, and the only person who dies is Quicksilver. Ultron was basically being played as James Spader as his douche characters from the 80's, specifically Less Than Zero, which interestingly also had RDJ.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
The other issue with Ultron is that the countless "Ultron" robots in the film had the strength of Iron Man's many suits in IM3. IE - They were beaten in 1-2 hits. It was only the "main" Ultron that was a real threat.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'm not really sure what you are saying here. Are you saying that even if he were in the movies, we'd complain about his portrayal? Because that's an entirely different issue. I didn't mind Ultron so much, the biggest complaint I had was that they changed his voice from the awesome one in the trailer to the shitty one in the movie. Other than that, I was relatively fine with him, for what he was. I know all about Ultron's backstory, but this wasn't that Ultron that has been around for decades and gone through multiple bodies and upgrades, this was a brand new Ultron that hadn't had all that time to be as big of a threat as he could be. But we have no idea how Warlock may be portrayed, or would have been if he were included in Infinity War, so how would you know what we'd think?

Or are you trying to say that we'll complain because Warlock is not in the movies? Because yeah, we're kinda doing that already, and I'll admit he's literally one of my favorite characters in Marvel, so I'm pretty disappointed to hear he's not going to be a part of the biggest story in the MCU and the biggest story in Warlock's own biography. But I'm still open to being pleased with whatever alternative they present. Maybe it will suck, and maybe even if it is good I'll think Warlock would have been better, but I'm not going to automatically bitch about it just because it isn't him.

Or were you trying to imply something else that I'm just not understanding? I mean, everyone likes different things. Some people think Adam Warlock is dumb and a shitty character. I think he's great. Some people like fat Mexican chicks, I don't. Etc.

Brad2770

I'm not really sure what you are saying here. Are you saying that even if he were in the movies, we'd complain about his portrayal?

Basically this. I don't have the motivation to dig through old posts to find who specifically bitched about what, but I remember a lot of people liking things building to the release and then unloading their disappointments the weekend after release. We got an on screen rendition. To me, that's more than enough to be happy about. I feel we will see a repeat with Adam Warlock; Look, How he talks, how he presents himself, etc...

Because that's an entirely different issue. I didn't mind Ultron so much, the biggest complaint I had was that they changed his voice from the awesome one in the trailer to the shitty one in the movie. Other than that, I was relatively fine with him, for what he was. I know all about Ultron's backstory, but this wasn't that Ultron that has been around for decades and gone through multiple bodies and upgrades, this was a brand new Ultron that hadn't had all that time to be as big of a threat as he could be. But we have no idea how Warlock may be portrayed, or would have been if he were included in Infinity War, so how would you know what we'd think?

We don't know. And all we have to go on is how we interpret the source. And that's the problem. People's disappointment seems to stem from their idea of what their favorite character should be and what the creative team for Marvel Films does with it.

Or are you trying to say that we'll complain because Warlock is not in the movies? Because yeah, we're kinda doing that already, and I'll admit he's literally one of my favorite characters in Marvel, so I'm pretty disappointed to hear he's not going to be a part of the biggest story in the MCU and the biggest story in Warlock's own biography. But I'm still open to being pleased with whatever alternative they present. Maybe it will suck, and maybe even if it is good I'll think Warlock would have been better, but I'm not going to automatically bitch about it just because it isn't him.

This kind of ties into what I just said. Yet if there a strong attachment to the character, there is a greater chance of disappointment. Since you have such a strong affinity towards Adam Warlock, what are some expectations you have of the character? What are things you're willing to bend on? Things you would prefer not to bend on?

Wolverine is my favorite Marvel "hero". I thought Fox did an amazing job with the character. I wish they could have found a shorter guy to really show just how awesome he is, even though he is in a broad, but tiny package. It was never enough for me to complain. The lack of R-rating also kind hurt him, but his last movie redeemed this. But I never felt like it ever ruined my movie going experience and I surely had a huge smile on my face every time. Even in X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Or were you trying to imply something else that I'm just not understanding? I mean, everyone likes different things. Some people think Adam Warlock is dumb and a shitty character. I think he's great. Some people like fat Mexican chicks, I don't. Etc.

My ex is a "thick" Mexican woman. I loved it.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
It's too late really to introduce Warlock in Infinity Wars, I wish he would have been there...those early Starlin stories are some of my favorite comics of all time, and he was such an interesting and complex character.

I do hope that his introduction eventually leads to the Magus being one of the big bad that the MCU has to face. I just hope he doesn't end up being a throwaway character in GotG 3 like Ronan and Ego.

That montage of Warlock covers is awesome. I have most of those still. Maybe he'll be popular in the MCU and some of them will gain in value. :)

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Basically this. I don't have the motivation to dig through old posts to find who specifically bitched about what, but I remember a lot of people liking things building to the release and then unloading their disappointments the weekend after release. We got an on screen rendition. To me, that's more than enough to be happy about. I feel we will see a repeat with Adam Warlock; Look, How he talks, how he presents himself, etc...

We already know more or less what he will look like. Just like the rest of the gold fucks. Which is fine and, honestly, works for me.

We don't know. And all we have to go on is how we interpret the source. And that's the problem. People's disappointment seems to stem from their idea of what their favorite character should be and what the creative team for Marvel Films does with it.

This kind of ties into what I just said. Yet if there a strong attachment to the character, there is a greater chance of disappointment. Since you have such a strong affinity towards Adam Warlock, what are some expectations you have of the character? What are things you're willing to bend on? Things you would prefer not to bend on?

Apparently I'm willing to bend enough given he's not in the Infinity War movie. And they've done a pretty knock-out job handling the whole "Celestial" part of the Marvel Universe. Plus the stones.

Wolverine is my favorite Marvel "hero". I thought Fox did an amazing job with the character. I wish they could have found a shorter guy to really show just how awesome he is, even though he is in a broad, but tiny package. It was never enough for me to complain. The lack of R-rating also kind hurt him, but his last movie redeemed this. But I never felt like it ever ruined my movie going experience and I surely had a huge smile on my face every time. Even in X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

I own all of the X-Men movies, but fucking Origins skullfucked that version of Deadpool. I still liked it, but that part was just stupid as shit. Glad Fox is learning their fucking lesson, though. Gotta compete with Marvel somehow, given a much shallower financing pool.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Well, right off it is unlikely that I will get much of what I want from Warlock unless they introduce him in Ragnarok or the very beginning of Infinity War and make the first movie a dual Warlock/Thanos origin story. Neither of those things have been even vaguely hinted at, so I don't see them happening. However, if somehow he did show up in Infinity War, I'd for sure want him to be the possessor of the Soul Gem. That's so wrapped up in his character that I wouldn't want it to happen any other way.

Given that none of that is likely to happen, and he might just show up in GotG3, my next biggest hope would be that he continued on in the MCU as a significant player. But I find that fairly unlikely as well, simply because the movie viewing public doesn't even know who the fuck he is or care about him, especially if he has nothing to do with Thanos and is just a new villain/opponent/acquaintance/companion for Starlord and Co. If they make him a compelling character there, he might make it into a further cosmic movie or two, but until we know the true direction Phase 4 takes, that literally might only be a movie or two at best.

So I'm already pretty much resigned to the fact that I'm not going to see the Adam Warlock I want. He might physically match what I want, since it isn't really that difficult to take a decent actor and cover him in gold paint. Hell, Ayesha's second in command, the dude from Farscape, would have made a great Warlock if you ask me. Facially he matched what I would want in the character. I would expect him to very rarely if ever laugh hysterically like some of the Sovereign did to Taserface, or call each other losers when they failed at their video game spaceship fights, etc. He's an extremely somber and conflicted character, like practically emo at times, but not to the point of being retarded either. I fear that if they make him that way, however, and he interacts with any of the Guardians on a non-enemy level, they will crack jokes at his inability to joke back at them. That might work, and I think if anyone could do it, James Gunn could, but I am skeptical.

My ultimate would be for Peter Dinklage to be Pip the Troll, and he and Warlock have adventures. I'm not a fan of Zoe Saldana so I'd prefer they leave Gamora out of it, but in the comics the three of them are inseparable for much of Warlock's important arcs. I'd be fine with substituting Captain Marvel, but she's going to be "Marvel's Wonder Woman" so not much chance of her playing second fiddle to Warlock. I'd be fine with just Pip and Warlock, but a female companion would probably help for a lot of reasons, including marketing. Nebula could probably fill the role, actually, although I'd rather it be someone new maybe.

But Warlock is never going to get his own movie. So I'm going to have to be happy with whatever they give me and just pray that it remains somewhat loyal to the comics. It won't happen, but those things would be like his serious and often conflicted demeanor, his tragic story in terms of him doing terrible things (usually related to the Soul Gem) in the name of trying to further the greater good, and someone like Pip trying to help him cling to the little bit of humanity remaining. Maybe he could somehow end up being created and then wiping out most of the Sovereign by accident, or someone else, or I don't really know.

Now you've depressed me! And I'm not gonna get the Beta Ray Bill I want either, so fuck it!!

• 1Solidarity

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
But that still doesn't answer how they're going to handle defeating Thanos. No Quasar with the arbitrary "ultimate nullifier"? No fake stone? No Goddess to be its Keeper? No Eternity to squash any future Gauntlet?

Speaking of, Quasar was another cool character. Really loved how he was portrayed visually.

Maybe Thanos is just a big bitch that sits on a chair and will get care bear stared down like Ultron....

5119490-1867986228-latest.png

92d6a0d6e51358ac9895d8d53a9f8062--care-bears-ironman.jpg

• 1Worf