Awesome Games Done Quick 2016 - 2019

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Question for those who keep up with this community a lot more than I do:

Why do a significant number of speed runners use the Japanese version of games? So far, GoW2 and Resident Evil have both used Japanese version of the runs I've seen.

From what I understand it’s that the text loads faster. Also depends on the bugs and glitches available in different version but the most common reason I have heard is that scrolling/skipping through the text is quicker.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
From what I understand it’s that the text loads faster. Also depends on the bugs and glitches available in different version but the most common reason I have heard is that scrolling/skipping through the text is quicker.
Mostly all this. Bugs tend to get fixed on later releases. E.g. the water walking glitch and mirror canceling blocks in Link to the Past.
I thought I read somewhere that extra languages get loaded on top of existing programming, and that's why the text takes longer to load.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Question for those who keep up with this community a lot more than I do:

Why do a significant number of speed runners use the Japanese version of games? So far, GoW2 and Resident Evil have both used Japanese version of the runs I've seen.
They use whatever version is the fastest. Lots of times Japanese text just loads faster so makes sense with dialogue heavy games.

• 1Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
But why is it, e.g. in their Resident Evil speed run, the text in Kung Fu letters, but then it says "Yes / No" in English when you select your response?

Is that how the Japanese version actually works?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
But why is it, e.g. in their Resident Evil speed run, the text in Kung Fu letters, but then it says "Yes / No" in English when you select your response?

Is that how the Japanese version actually works?
The Resident Evil run was the Japanese PC version. Virgin studios developed it and published the game in NA/EU while Capcom published it in JP (from the wiki)

Even if there's no differences in gameplay the Playstation version probably loads like shit and generally is 20 minutes longer according to Resident Evil - Leaderboard - speedrun.com

Last edited:

Szlia

It feels like if the game had a cheat code to directly win the game and play the final cutscene, they'd make the speed run record whoever entered the cheat code and then cancelled the cutscene the fastest.
Most games have multiple categories. Credit warps are usually their own category. Games where it's possible to heavily abuse the geometry or coding to the point the run, while technical, has not much to do with the actual game, tend to also have No Major Glitches categories or No Out of Bound categories. For very popular games, there can be a lot of categories and, more importantly, a lot of active categories. The basic category for all games is any% aka reaching the end of the game the fastest, but 100% is also common (though the definition is done on a game per game basis - beat all levels, collect all items, etc). Other typical categories are low% (beating the game without collecting/using some of the key weapons/items/abilities/etc) or pacifist (only killing the enemies that are required to beat the game).

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That video is Goose who was a really knowledgeable dude about Goldeneye and did hours long videos on WR progressions. But he was a white supremacist or something and put some of his personal views in discord and once it got out they exiled him from the community.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That video is Goose who was a really knowledgeable dude about Goldeneye and did hours long videos on WR progressions. But he was a white supremacist or something and put some of his personal views in discord and once it got out they exiled him from the community.
Sounds like he knows how to quit.

Judging by the video, he's not fat or ugly and has a voice that would make quite a few women swoon. Makes you wonder how he ended up in that community to begin with.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Sounds like he knows how to quit.

Judging by the video, he's not fat or ugly and has a voice that would make quite a few women swoon. Makes you wonder how he ended up in that community to begin with.

it's kind alike the semi decent looking chick hanging out with a bunch of fatties and ends up being the mega hottie because of it, if a normie nerd starts hanging out with the nerd nerds he gets to be king

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Not really liking the games they picked this time. And yes, the trannies are all hideous.

• 1Like

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I'm wondering how they decide what games to put where. The Mario block is tonight and ends a little after 2am Eastern. I would think Mario brings in viewers and donations but maybe I'm mistaken. They have so many filler games, no way they can't be more accommodating.