Ballers (HBO show with The Rock)

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
i don't really understand whats going on - the black chick at the end works at the NFL and doesn't like spencer because he insulted her on TV? But... he wants the Raiders to move to Vegas, but the problem is ?? and the people doing shady moves against him are ???

?? = The NFL was against a team going to Vegas since pretty much forever.

??? = The league execs.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
This show fell off really fast.

I usually like The Rock but he is not good in this.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
The dickhead brother reminded me a lot of this other dickhead guy I know in real life. Perfect representation. I hope they're able to succeed, even though you know it won't happen.

Khane

It's gotten way too "cool". I get that the show is called Ballers and is about that lifestyle but it's just too over the top and The Rock comes off as campy and cheesy rather than smooth and suave.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
This show fell off really fast.

I usually like The Rock but he is not good in this.
For me, a lot of the fall off has to do with Rob Corddry not being as Rob Corddry as he was in the first two seasons - they have cut him back and toned him down a little. But you're right the Rock has gone from player trying to be barely competent businessman to polished business man almost overnight

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
In what ways is it over the top?

I've thought a lot of things about this show but "campy" has honestly never came to mind. Spencer and Joe are the best parts of the show.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
For me, a lot of the fall off has to do with Rob Corddry not being as Rob Corddry as he was in the first two seasons - they have cut him back and toned him down a little. But you're right the Rock has gone from player trying to be barely competent businessman to polished business man almost overnight

Shows been on three years...characters progress and evolve I guess?

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Shows been on three years...characters progress and evolve I guess?
Of course, but that doesn't mean they get better...or that it doesn't change the show in some fundamental way, for better or worse.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
How has it got worse I guess I would ask?

Everything about the show has evolved, there's more depth and it continues to stay fresh as it mirrors real life at the same time.

I enjoy the show personally. Everyone's different though I suppose.

Khane

Spencer and Joe were always the best part of the show. But for me they aren't worth watching anymore.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Reht

Molten Core Raider
How has it got worse I guess I would ask?

Everything about the show has evolved, there's more depth and it continues to stay fresh as it mirrors real life at the same time.

I enjoy the show personally. Everyone's different though I suppose.
For me, like Khane said, the best part of the show was the interaction between Spencer and Joe and also Spencer/Joe vs. everyone else. Since they have changed from Spencer dealing with day-to-day player screw ups etc., to this NFL arc, they have put those interactions that many of us really enjoyed on the back burner. I don't hate the new professional suave businessman Spencer or even the current arc, but i wish they hadn't neutered Joe's character in the process. The show changed, some will like it more, others will like it less.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
They past two episodes they've been in the majority of the scenes together and frankly, Anderson killed it last episode.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
The last episode was also the first episode i have really enjoyed this season too - I did like Anderson's part in this episode (always been a Schiff fan though), other than the scenes where Serinda Swan was half naked of course...

spronk

FPS noob
The VR scene in the previous episode was amazing

Characters have been kinda all over the map this season, the Ricky "am I a retard now" and Coach vs. GM stories have been kinda more interesting than the main story so far. The writings just never been strong on this show, like Andy Garcia was in the show last year but I honestly can't remember what he did other than saunter around and look cool.

Bringing in saudi billionaires woulda been pretty amazing though, man i can just imagine how fucking perverted their parties get and RobC would want to move to Dubai

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
This latest episode was deeper than normal. Spencer is seeing that he's been fucking up a lot lately. Turning against his normal values in pursuit of status & wealth. Where as Charles is manning up. He doesn't like his boss constantly doing weak and dirty shit, so he's upping his own game. I liked the episode.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
i loved the first 2 seasons but this season has seemed like its dragging along. i like the players + rock scenes the most and its mostly the rock with bigwigs this season.

also i may have missed something but did Spencer just buy part of ASM just to sell it a few episodes later? i thought he just bought it the end of last season and beginning of this season he's ready to move on.

I would like to see more of Spencer dealing with rowdy players making poor life decisions than trying to get a bunch of fat cats to chip in on a stadium.

mewkus

Blackwing Lair Raider
he's impulsive as fuck, but his charisma and confessions always carry him through, because in the end it's all about people. he'll probably end up nailing that nfl boss chick.

it's entourage level writing but with spencer just charging into everything and facing a different setback each week instead of faffing about with movie deals.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
This season I think lost it's cohesion having everyone in their own story lines, just feels like watching 4 different shows now, Charles the assistant gm, Ricky with baby mama and concussion, Vernon with reggie joe and weed, Spencer and the nfl and bosses. First two seasons were about Spencer/Joe putting out fires for all their clients, not so much this season. Now it seems like they want to put more time on the Rock, which is fine, but the other stories just don't seem relevant for the future especially since they're selling the firm there's no reason for any of them to interact much after this.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Very good end to this season. Looks like everyone is doing what they want to do, except Spence. It was a solid "good finale". Very Entourage-esque, but better.