Bandwagon's Drones Thread

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Sounds like its actually a 2cell (see the 2 plugs), and also some said too heavy? I doubt that, though video shows slightly too big to fit the holder unmodified. But saw some folk recommending buying that and splitting in 2 to get just 2 800mah batteries which would still be a small boost.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I wanted to take a few in-flight videos of the penguin, but the video range of the stock Q500 is fucking horrible.

Here are a few videos of the Penguin doing auto-takeoff, a loiter, and an auto-land. I'll add the 2nd and 3rd videos when they are done uploading.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
EACHINE h8 arrived. Cheerson cx10 clone. Holy fuck the quality for $13 is amazing. Holds extremely steady better than the dromida for me. precise controls. Tiny 50 or 150 mah or whatever battery lasts at least 5 mins forgot to time it. Instructions semi shitty engrish but same as most things. Told me to go from 0 throttle to full and back to link it, but when I did that went straight to flying. My vaulted living room ceiling was amazed how quick it power climbed to ceiling. I'd be worried outside sneeze with throttle to full and I'd lose it.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
That cheerson in expert is a damn screaming bumblebee. I tree'd my cheap hubsan, and ordered a replacement I got it from a different retailer off amazon and it is a really amazing well done Chinese knock off. It looks like a hubsan but on a hair trigger, in expert mode it gets cartwheeling through the air like a damn spastic spider monkey, fun but awfully exhausting.

I did get one of the FPV hubsan quads and while the little screen is neat on the controller I am seriously thinking about getting some goggles for it. It is nice having a hobby but this shit is getting expensive. I need to go back to MMO's to save money.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
I managed to get permission to shoot the French Frigate L'Hermione as it left Yorktown monday during it's maiden voyage! So psyched!

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Bwahahaha Tuco that was great!

I branched out a little and picked up one of the hubsan sized Syma quads. (x11 Model) It is a little slower than the base Hubsan X4 but quite stable and at 27 bucks on amazon a steal to practice with and do stupid shit.

I want to look into one of the hobby ones soon, geeking out on the flight controllers and all the transmitters and receivers and modules sounds like a hell of a lot of fun. But expensive, ahh well I can't take it with me.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Anyone want to buy a Turnigy 9x transmitter and receiver for $40? I'm going to get a 9xr pro because I'm too lazy to do the smartiepants board and backlighting.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
FPV flight is definitely something I wanna get in to, whenever i get back to the states. What kind of flight time/endurance do you get out of those setups? seems like a lot of juice to transmit video.

I also worry about what FAA regulations will look like in a few years when i'm back stateside and would be able to get in to the hobby side of things.

I know from the other side of the coin, commercial/military that when you lose a drone they tend to make abig dealout of it. That's one of the drones I flew last September for military exercises off the coast of guam.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I don't think we're too far off from having drone traffic fairly heavily controlled, especially in metro areas. I don't mean via regulation alone.

One of the guys that has been giving me a lot of advise said that his Flexrotor uav can take control of most consumer grade drones that use gps and either force them to land or make the drone follow his back to launch. He told me that when I was talking about something I wanted to build to scout for drones in restricted airspace on forest fires.
It's sad for the hobbyist that have been flying rc since before I was born, but I'm not really against using a strong hand to prevent safety problems. I'm definitely tired of hearing about privacy concerns, though. I think that issue is blown way out of proportion.

Speaking of privacy concerns...
I just ordered this yesterday.
Edit: nevermind, can't paste from my phone. It's the $90 Quanum fpv set from hobbyking, including a shitty headset. I have heard some great things about it and we're starting to get a lot of grass fires here, so I just want something to test.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I don't think we're too far off from having drone traffic fairly heavily controlled, especially in metro areas. I don't mean via regulation alone.

One of the guys that has been giving me a lot of advise said that his Flexrotor uav can take control of most consumer grade drones that use gps and either force them to land or make the drone follow his back to launch. He told me that when I was talking about something I wanted to build to scout for drones in restricted airspace on forest fires.
It's sad for the hobbyist that have been flying rc since before I was born, but I'm not really against using a strong hand to prevent safety problems. I'm definitely tired of hearing about privacy concerns, though. I think that issue is blown way out of proportion.

Speaking of privacy concerns...
I just ordered this yesterday.
Edit: nevermind, can't paste from my phone. It's the $90 Quanum fpv set from hobbyking, including a shitty headset. I have heard some great things about it and we're starting to get a lot of grass fires here, so I just want something to test.
Why do you feel privacy concerns are blown out of proportion? As prices on drones continue to fall they will be used by private citizens and every police force. Overall I'm very pro-drone, but that's in my idyllic vision of the future. I think from a practical perspective I'm going to be very anti-drone quite quickly once they become more mainstream.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Because they are loud and typically have low endurance and short range fpv out of the box. Most people don't give a shit about spying on their neighbor, and those that do would have a lot more success with a dime sized camera hidden in a tree.

There are a lot of better ways to invade someone's privacy, but your average Joe thinks that a phantom is going to fly at 10k ft and zoom in on his wife's left nipple through the skylight.

I really liked the one about the drone following the kids home from the school bus, in Alaska I think. Unsafe and annoying, but if the creepy guy 3 houses down is running it up the flagpole to the FPV video, I think it's safe to assume he's been doing it for years with a dslr.

/drunkrant

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'm video-taping my own fappening with my hands-free drone. I'll pm you the link as soon as it's uploaded, wamphyr

Kais

<Gold Donor>
I don't like filming in public places too much due solely to uninformed morons who invariably approach me and force thier own scare agenda on my actions. Case in point, the video above of the tall ship. Immediately after I take off this lady runs up to me with poison on her tongue about how I don't have her permission to film them and that I must be a paedophile. She runs to a nearby cop starting the same at a near shriek. The cop then explains in small words very slowly that I actually had permission, that even if I didn't it was a public area and no permission was needed. Also there were several hundred people watching the ship depart all with cameras, camcorders, and smart phones.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I try really hard to not hate people like that, and just redirect it all towards CNN.

Anyways, cool video, Kais. I missed it the first time because Tuco's wedding video distracted me. You're flying a phantom, right? Is there any way you could test out DroneDeploy and let me know how it goes? I think the DJI drones don't require any additional hardware, and I remember seeing that they offer a free trial.

I'm tempted to see if I can trade my Q500 for a phantom just for that purpose.
How to get DroneDeploy · DroneDeploy

Kais

<Gold Donor>
No it's no phantom. It's a 600mm hexacopter I built. It does use a DJI naza flight controller and h4-3d gimbal that I've tweaked. There's quiet a bit more to it than that however

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I don't see them mention that any naza drone will work. Ok, I'll see if I can find someone local that has one.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Finally got a test flight on the new drone. I forgot how long it takes to tune the autopilot for good flying.

The custom power system is awesome, and only pulls 18amps at full throttle, but the prop is a little louder than I like. Does anyone know what the advantages/disadvantages are of different props? I know about the diameter and angle, but I'm not sure how the shape or rigidity affect performance and noise.

Anyone?