Barry

Khane

Got something right about marriage
He definitely got angry on a few occasions in season 1. I think this is just how they are approaching his character growth. He's slowly integrating with society and becoming more "human" in the process, which is making him seem bi-polar because he's not used to dealing with a full range of real emotion. He's basically a man-child. He's also trying to leave one life behind for another and having to juggle both in the process, which would obviously be a frustrating experience for anyone.

He's trying to become a decent person and it's just turning him into more of a lunatic. He's getting erratic.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
He hasn’t shot anyone this season. Probably needs that anger release.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
yeah, him getting angry more now makes sense. before, he was totally cold, had turned his emotions off completely. now that he's letting his emotions come back, he's having a hard time dealing with them. makes sense that they'd be uncontrollably intense after not experiencing them for so long.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Eatlier today we watched both Endgame and Game of Thrones (the giant undead battle that's been anticipated forever obviously). Before Barry I joked "well those were intense, I wonder how intense Barry is going to be now?". And I didn't realize it wasn't just a joke apparently, wow this episode was intense lol.

I couldn't stop cringing during the entire episode, in a good way.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xevy

Log Wizard
Great one-off kind of thing. Except the little girl will still rat him and Fewkes out.

When Barry saw the Tae Kwon Do trophy room I LOL'd pretty hard because everyone knew exactly where it was going from there.

• 2Like

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Eatlier today we watched both Endgame and Game of Thrones (the giant undead battle that's been anticipated forever obviously). Before Barry I joked "well those were intense, I wonder how intense Barry is going to be now?". And I didn't realize it wasn't just a joke apparently, wow this episode was intense lol.

I couldn't stop cringing during the entire episode, in a good way.
Same experience. We watched Endgame yesterday, GoT tonight, thought this would be a little laid back. Fucking NOPE. This episode was wild.

• 2Solidarity

Fedor

<Banned>
wdu2kjk3q4v21.png

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I really thought the Loach stuff was going to be the rest of the season. I guess they're going to build towards a Barry vs. Fuches thing?

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I really thought the Loach stuff was going to be the rest of the season. I guess they're going to build towards a Barry vs. Fuches thing?

Who knows? One of the best things about this show is that has a predictability range of about zero. I literally have no idea what's coming next each episode. I'm not sure they're "building towards" anything.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
That was a.... strange? episode.

The little girl turning vampire mode in the car was pretty great though, and the fight at the store was well done. Interested to see where they go from here. Definitely not my favorite episode with No-Ho nowhere to be seen.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I fell behind on this and just watched last week's episode. What in the fuck did I just watch? Haha.

• 1Solidarity

yeahthatisneathuh

Trakanon Raider
Hadn't watched this due to inability to stream and didn't feel like pirating a series I knew nothing about. Picked up the HBO stream on Hulu for a week to re-watch Veep, and then "accidentally" stayed up till 3AM watching Barry. Solid writing, acting, and directing all the way through S1.

One thing really struck me: the black female detective is perfect. Not in terms of her character, but in terms of, that's how you do a black female detective. Every word out of her mouth isn't about how hard it is to be black or how the man has kept her down. She's just in charge, and investigating, and is also black. She even has culturally black moments, they just don't shove a fucking agenda down my throat. Similar to Regina King in Southland, though that was more topical and did touch on what it meant to be black in a poor neighborhood, which they did well.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Hadn't watched this due to inability to stream and didn't feel like pirating a series I knew nothing about. Picked up the HBO stream on Hulu for a week to re-watch Veep, and then "accidentally" stayed up till 3AM watching Barry. Solid writing, acting, and directing all the way through S1.

One thing really struck me: the black female detective is perfect. Not in terms of her character, but in terms of, that's how you do a black female detective. Every word out of her mouth isn't about how hard it is to be black or how the man has kept her down. She's just in charge, and investigating, and is also black. She even has culturally black moments, they just don't shove a fucking agenda down my throat. Similar to Regina King in Southland, though that was more topical and did touch on what it meant to be black in a poor neighborhood, which they did well.

Every once in a while Hollywood gets it right. They used to get it right a lot more often. I'm thinking the pendulum will eventually swing back the other way to where they can address issues like background and identity without resorting to eyerolling levels of hamfisted morality sermons.

Anyway, Barry is fantastic. I love subtle, dry humor and the series is full of it. Agree that it's very well written and acted.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Well, didn't see that coming. I've no doubt he'll survive, surely, but this show goes from campy funny, to pretty dark in 5 seconds and I really enjoy that. Him just fall backwards into that audition was pretty great too. Still love this show

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
The look on his face when his girlfriend goes off and then him just going into his lines without saying anything was priceless.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Well, didn't see that coming. I've no doubt he'll survive, surely, but this show goes from campy funny, to pretty dark in 5 seconds and I really enjoy that. Him just fall backwards into that audition was pretty great too. Still love this show
Right...it feels like a tighter breaking bad and that is saying something. Love this show.