Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
anyway I came here to post this review which I found hilarious until I got sidetracked with that batman shit.

Every single thing that is wrong with Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

A spoiler-packed guide to all that's off about the superhero clash, from Lex Luthor as a malfunctioning android to Bruce Wayne's fickle take on demolition
This piece contains spoilers for Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. Don't read it unless you've seen the film or don't care about spoilers
Like a big, wet glob of fetid bird droppings tumbling down from the sky, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice has landed with an audible splat. It's been almost three years since director Zack Snyder revealed the project at San Diego Comic-Con and in those years, the multimillion-dollar hype machine has been slowed only periodically by rumblings that something was amiss with the film. Amid splashy trailer releases and return trips to Comic-Con there's been a steady drumbeat of skepticism in the background. How bad could it be? Well, it turns out, pretty bad.

Despite the 30% Rotten Tomatoes score, you probably rushed out and gobbled up this picture with the reckless abandon of DJ Khaled confronted with a horse trough full of fried chicken. You - the hypothetical reader whom I am very certain is terribly attractive, very intelligent, and wise beyond your years - probably want someone to explain what it is you just witnessed. I would like to offer up my expertise free of charge so that you might better understand the many layers of this motion picture event. I warn you now that this is a spoiler-heavy article, so if you haven't seen the film and want to remain untainted, please click away immediately. I won't mind. I mean, you've already clicked on it anyway, so cha-ching.

The film opens with one of many dream sequences. Let me just say here early that Batman v Superman is mostly dream sequences, and those scenes that are not dreams still seem to function as though the basic laws of reality do not exist. Granted, this is a film about an alien and an alcoholic billionaire pervert throwing each other around in the rain while grimacing heavily. I should probably cut it some slack.

Anyway, Bruce Wayne dreams about his parents being gunned down in front of a movie theater. This is intercut with Bruce Wayne tumbling down a hole where he discovers a massive gathering of bats in a cave. These bats swarm around him, magically lifting him up and out of the hole while he strikes a Christ pose. In other words, we are off to a smashing start. After that, we witness Metropolis being wiped out by Superman and General Zod from the last movie. Superman destroys one of Bruce Wayne's buildings by accident, which makes Wayne hate Superman. This is an important plot point. You see, Batman only approves of the destruction of private property when he's the one doing the destroying. Later in the film, Batman tears through the city in his own personal tank, blows up some cars, shoots up a building with his Batwing, kills numerous anonymous henchmen, and lures a dangerous mutant back to a populated area without a coherent plan to defeat it. But he's not an alien, so it's OK. I should also mention that Bruce Wayne has a second dream about his dead parents in which blood pours out of his mother's tomb, then explodes to reveal a demon inside of it. I think maybe he has some unresolved issues.

Bruce Wayne is not alone in hating Superman. The United States government is none too pleased with the last son of Krypton leveling large parts of a major city. Lex Luthor, a wealthy businessman and scientist, also hates Superman. Now, you probably couldn't quite figure out why Lex Luthor hated Superman so much. Unlike Batman, he has no clear professional jealousy. In fact, in a brief aside, Luthor mentions the construction projects his company undertook after Superman wrecked Metropolis. If he had just kept his mouth shut and let Superman topple a few more buildings, he could have kept raking in the government contracts for decades to come. Instead, he spends most of the movie trying to get Batman and Superman to fight, then creates a monster in a pool of brown toilet water for no reason. I thought this guy was some kinda genius? It doesn't make sense at first, but upon second viewing, it's clear that Lex Luthor is actually a malfunctioning android and his moronic behavior is due to his circuits being fried. Every bizarre character choice can be chalked up to what I like to call the "Android Defense". Something happened in Batman v Superman that doesn't make any sense? It was probably done by a secretly malfunctioning robot.

Sorry, got a bit off track here. Batman has another dream, where Superman has become a fascist dictator with his own army of stormtroopers. Batman is a lone freedom fighter rebelling against Superman's iron rule. At the end of the dream, Superman punches a hole in Batman's chest. Batman wakes up and sees The Flash (not identified as such, I just know because I'm a nerd) inside a time vortex. Flash explains some important plot points for another movie, then disappears. Why is The Flash invading Batman's dreams? Why did he travel back in time? He's got to juggle a lot of balls and he only has one butler to handle all of his affairs. He's not a huge note-taker and doesn't maintain an iCal. Things slip through the cracks. That's why he sent The Flash back in time in the first place, like a really elaborate Post-It note. Unfortunately, if Batman had never forgotten about his dream, he never would have sent back The Flash to remind him about the dream, which creates a major paradox, which I don't want to get into right now.

I haven't even mentioned Wonder Woman, AKA Diana Prince, warrior princess of Themyscira. Wonder Woman periodically shows up at parties to annoy Bruce Wayne. She steals some computer files from Lex Luthor during a fundraiser for a library or something. Then, Bruce and Diana meet at a totally different party where they stare at a dagger in a glass case. You may have wondered whose party that was, why either of the characters were at that party, and what the point of the knife in the box was. Look, cool people get invited to parties all the time that you don't know about. You should be used to this by now. Stop asking. It makes you look desperate.

Bruce Wayne opens up Lex Luthor's computer files and discovers a photo of Wonder Woman from the first world war, plus some trailers for other Warner Bros movies. Luthor even designed logos for all of these movies in Adobe Illustrator. Why does Lex Luthor have four blatant bits of product placement on his computer? Because he's been maintaining a secret double life as a film publicist. You thought running a multinational corporation while trying to murder an indestructible flying alien was hard? Try selling the Aquaman movie.

Back to Superman, he's quite depressed over the mixed reaction to his theatrical heroics, and I don't mean the reviews for Man of Steel either. Some worship him for his daring deeds, while others are terrified of the unchecked power he wields. Using that divided public opinion against him, Lex Luthor attempts to frame Superman for a variety of very un-Superman activities - shooting up a village, neglecting to stop a suicide bomber, and drinking red wine with seafood. Of course, Superman would do none of these things, but that doesn't stop the public from turning on him, playing directly into Luthor's hands.

Dejected, Superman flies off to Buffalo, New York, or some other desolate, snow-covered landscape. There, we are treated to yet another dream sequence. This time, Clark Kent imagines seeing his father throwing bricks on to a pile of other bricks while telling a story about inadvertently ruining the lives of his neighbors during a flood. At this point, you may have asked yourself why Superman flew out to this barren wasteland. You may have also asked what that pile of rocks was? Maybe you thought it was the place where Clark Kent's dad is buried, but I'm fairly certain it's been established that he was buried on the Kent farm. So why the hell is Superman having visions of his dead dad in the middle of nowhere? As with everything, there is a simple answer. Nothing reminds me more of Kevin Costner's acting than a pile of rocks, bricks and twigs in the snow. So, it's natural that when one sees a pile of inanimate objects, one would pause to consider Kevin Costner. This movie makes perfect sense.

Considering the title of the film, Batman and Superman fight toward the end of the story. It's as brutal and ruthless as it is boring, with the fisticuffs coming to an abrupt end when Batman realizes that his mom and Superman's mom have the same first name. If only Biggie and Tupac's moms had the same first name. They might still be here today.

Lex Luthor's monster, Doomsday, is unleashed and Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman join forces to defeat him. Why did Lex Luthor create a monster he couldn't control when he easily could have just shot Superman with a kryptonite rocket 30 minutes into the movie? Why did he waste all of that time convincing Batman and Superman to fight if he was just going to create Doomsday? What if Batman killed Superman? Would Lex Luthor still have a need for a rampaging, uncontrollable beast?

At the end of the film, Superman sacrifices himself to defeat Doomsday, leaving Batman and Wonder Woman to form the Justice League in his absence. Lex Luthor has gone crazy (because he is a malfunctioning android) and has had his head shaved because long hair is strictly forbidden in solitary confinement, as everyone knows. He could have hidden a knife or a grenade in that moptop. Batman mourns his friend, who he had been pals with for a grand total of a couple hours and had previously been single-mindedly obsessed with murdering. Why was Batman so broken up about the death of a man he had spent two years despising? Because, as a great man (me) once said (right now, for the first time), the greatest friendships are the ones that burn out the quickest. If you learn anything from this movie, it should be that. If I were Warner Bros, I'd be throwing that brilliant aphorism on a T-shirt right now.

Lusiphur

Peasant
Saw it last night. It entertained. Shrug.
Gadot was a pleasant surprise (once I admitted to myself that Lynda Carter can't timewarp into the role) and I enjoyed a lot of the Snyder visual flourishes (saw it in Imax 3D).
However, I do agree with the pacing issues (too many damn dreams) and Peter Jackson better be getting a big royalty payment.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I actually enjoyed Afleck's take on the character however this movie further reinforces the fact that Superman just can't be done right in today's cinematic culture, he just doesn't work.
You guys keep saying that. Superman can't work unless he's grimdarked. Why does Captain America work? They are basically the same guy, but different powers. Newsflash: the viewing public is paying attention to reviews, and wants a good story. I pine for a modernized movie, with a Christopher Reeves vibe.

The problem with DC, is that they are hooked on grimdarking. Batman is their #1 seller. If a movie doesn't do over $1B (like Superman Returns), it's a flop. Therefore, let's make everyone like Batman. This is the DC mentality. They need to spend more time making their characters distinctive. It's like one reviewer said, everything in BvS was enshrouded in sludge, and the holy trinity was nothing more than dark copies of who they were.

They needed to slow down, and build a universe, instead of trying to get caught up to eight years of Marvel movies in a three hour movie sitting.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't even think it's fair to call this Batman a "Punisher" type batman. Most of the "killing" people are talking about are nightmare scenes, and with the warehouse fight I'm not even sure how many of the Redshirts, so to speak, were killed or KOed/Maimed.
Bullshit, he blew up those armored cars that were shooting at him outside, even though the bullets were bouncing off of the batplane (killing the guys inside of them). He stabbed a guy with a knife. There was the whole grenade thing that could have been done differently. He marked guys with a bat symbol, knowing it would get them killed in prison. And then there were the other deaths. In the scenes he was in, I thought it was like watching Arnold in Terminator or Commando.

I'm the biggest Batman homer on this board (go back and re-read this thread if you don't think so), and this was not normal behavior for him. Maybe it would have been for Thomas Wayne in Flashpoint.

One could try to argue they are trying to make Batman more relevant, but this argument doesn't hold up. Look at the Nolan/Bale trilogy.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Batman is a forever wounded child that wants to punch the world in the face for the death of his parents and will keep going out night after night until the death he is seeking finally claims him.

His not killing code is his point of control over the rage inside him and it's that control that lets him tell himself that he is not insane.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Batman is a forever wounded child that wants to punch the world in the face for the death of his parents and will keep going out night aft night until the death he is seeking finally claims him.

His not killing code is his point of control over the rage inside him and it's that control that lets him tell himself that he is not insane.
Thank you, Dr. Phil!

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
rrr_img_129691.jpg

TheBigTor_sl

shitlord
You guys keep saying that. Superman can't work unless he's grimdarked. Why does Captain America work?
Cap works because he isn't Christ in a cape (don't get me wrong, he is still a Christ figure, just not as overtly so.) in a World that is slowly, and possibly too late, coming to realize that no deity is going to come down and save us from ourselves. Captain America is a soldier who represents an America that no longer exists in the hearts and minds of many. That is the point of his character in the modern world and serves as the central theme in both Winter Soldier and the conflict between him and Stark in Civil War. At least that is how it seems to me and that is what I like about his character in the Marvel Movies.

I wish Superman still worked, I really do. My wife hates it whenever Superman 1 and/or 2 (maybe even 3 when I feel like laughing at my younger self who loved that movie )are on because it means I am watching them and she hates those movies. Most people I know that didn't grow up loving gun-dodging, Christopher Reeve's, or Cartoon versions of Boy Scout Superman just think he is wholly unbelievable. He is a character that cannot be evolved to suit the changing of the World without changing who and what he is.

Superman isn't the problem with the Superman character, we are. I could spend hours writing about my views on this but I won't, not a fight I am talented enough to fight.

That is just my feelings on the matter, not arguing, just sharing my views. I agree that Batman is a murderer in this one, we just don't care about him killing killers anymore, that isn't a problem with him though, it's us. The branding was bullshit stupid, I agree. At least he looked guilty for a fraction of a second when he saw the news report however I honestly feel they needed another movie before this to show him getting to that point and have this movie be either a mid-point or the turning point on Batman's road to re-redemption.

Sorry for the long posts, I honestly fucking love Comic mythology even when i don't, maybe even more-so when I don't.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Cap works because he isn't Christ in a cape (don't get me wrong, he is still a Christ figure, just not as overtly so.) in a World that is slowly, and possibly too late, coming to realize that no deity is going to come down and save us from ourselves. Captain America is a soldier who represents an America that no longer exists in the hearts and minds of many. That is the point of his character in the modern world and serves as the central theme in both Winter Soldier and the conflict between him and Stark in Civil War. At least that is how it seems to me and that is what I like about his character in the Marvel Movies.

I wish Superman still worked, I really do. My wife hates it whenever Superman 1 and/or 2 (maybe even 3 when I feel like laughing at my younger self who loved that movie )are on because it means I am watching them and she hates those movies. Most people I know that didn't grow up loving gun-dodging, Christopher Reeve's, or Cartoon versions of Boy Scout Superman just think he is wholly unbelievable. He is a character that cannot be evolved to suit the changing of the World without changing who and what he is.

Superman isn't the problem with the Superman character, we are. I could spend hours writing about my views on this but I won't, not a fight I am talented enough to fight.

That is just my feelings on the matter, not arguing, just sharing my views. I agree that Batman is a murderer in this one, we just don't care about him killing killers anymore, that isn't a problem with him though, it's us. The branding was bullshit stupid, I agree. At least he looked guilty for a fraction of a second when he saw the news report however I honestly feel they needed another movie before this to show him getting to that point and have this movie be either a mid-point or the turning point on Batman's road to re-redemption.

Sorry for the long posts, I honestly fucking love Comic mythology even when i don't, maybe even more-so when I don't.
Funny, I don't remember much Christ symbolism in Superman I or II. Even if there was, that's not the issue here. The issue is that Snyder's version is wooden and unsmiling. The only expression we ever see other than a blank look, is one of constipation. Like when the building was blown up with people in it, and Superman was the only left standing. The look on his face was like he was really trying to squeeze one out. The Christopher Reeves' version was more relatable, and that's why Superman I has the highest RT score of any Superman movie.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
It's what I said about Kirk a while ago. Lyrical is right. There's something fundamentally bothersome whether you're consciously aware of it or not about Superman not being Superman. The darkest moment in Superman history is when Quentin Tarantino explained his contempt for Humanity. That speech worked only because we never had this image of Superman as anything other than a fucking Boy Scout who may or may not know where to put his penis if he ever gets laid.

Our opening image of Superman is crawling into a tub with Lois.... It's bullshit. And the movie only got worse from there.

Also I get the comics go in darker directions but you comic book folks make up less than 1% of the audience. Don't make me post sales #s again if you all try to pull the "I just happen to be the 1 of 22,000 that still buys Superman each month". No one cares. The other 99% think of Reeves.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Went out to lunch today before the grocery shopping. Adjacent parking lot for the theaters were almost full but not completely, hardly anyone hawking for spots, and no line for tickets. I'm hoping that signifies a lower turnout but a data point of 1 isn't much to go on.

Cybsled

Funny, I don't remember much Christ symbolism in Superman I or II. Even if there was, that's not the issue here. The issue is that Snyder's version is wooden and unsmiling. The only expression we ever see other than a blank look, is one of constipation. Like when the building was blown up with people in it, and Superman was the only left standing. The look on his face was like he was really trying to squeeze one out. The Christopher Reeves' version was more relatable, and that's why Superman I has the highest RT score of any Superman movie.

Even Daleks like Reeves Superman ;p

https://youtu.be/jGDMbSR5F5U?t=5m7s

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
haven't seen the movie yet so idk, but this (emphasis mine):

is pretty fucking retarded considering2 of the top 4 superhero movies of all timeare the last 2 films of the Dark Knight Trilogy which not only are part of the modern superhero cinema era (released in 2008 and 2012) and are also the most recent iteration of Batman that the public is familiar with, and widely embraced. TDK is bested only by Avengers 1, and TDKR is just a hair below Avengers 2. Major tentpole ensemble films that took nearly a decade and half a dozen character films to build up to. DC has that with JUST BATMAN.

"modern audience can't accept a no gun, no killing batman"? Except that they overwhelmingly do, being the most popular and highest box office grossing comic book character fucking period. Get the fuck out of here with that shit, What have you been drinking, bleach?
Not sure if you're serious or just looking for an excuse to sperg out.

I don't really care if you agree or not, and you can spout off numbers until you're blue in the face. We all know that Superman and Batman IPs are going to sell well no matter what. We talk about this constantly and were just talking about this within the span of the last few pages. Regardless of how you or I or anyone else feels about this particular interpretation of Supes/Batman, these IPs always have and likely always will generate huge box office gross numbers. So much so that I think your point is largely meaningless.

You say"2 out of 4"as if we also aren't aware that you can also say 2 out of 6, 2 out of 8...2 out of 10. Hell, you can stretch it to 2 out of 12 before you even begin to hit MoS.

Point is, DC's problem isn't that they can't make bank off of Superman/Batman. It's that's those two are really the only ones they've been able to do that with. They had a similar problem on the comics side and kept trying to reboot everything. Marvel IPs on the other hand have been dominating the market. DC doesn't JUST want to have to rely on the occasional Batman/Superman blockbuster, they wanted this movie to be a stepping stone into a larger DCU offering of movies...AND THE SUCCESS OF THAT ENDEAVOR HAS FUCK ALL TO DO WITH HOW MUCH TDK/TDKR GROSSED BY THEMSELVES.

Your problem is that you see the "market" as a stand-alone Superman/Batman movie, when it's anything but, and DC is worried that the appeal of their two biggest characters won't reach past the circles they've both worn into the proverbial floor. Where I disagree with DC is that I don't think they NEED Batman/Superman to reach beyond themselves to draw people to other titles, but I'm least honest enough with myself that I can see what they're trying to do.

anyway I came here to post this review which I found hilarious until I got sidetracked with that batman shit.
LOL, you're like a retard that just saw some glitter.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't really care if you agree or not, and you can spout off numbers until you're blue in the face. We all know that Superman and Batman IPs are going to sell well no matter what. We talk about this constantly and were just talking about this within the span of the last few pages. Regardless of how you or I or anyone else feels about this particular interpretation of Supes/Batman, these IPs always have and likely always will generate huge box office gross numbers. So much so that I think your point is largely meaningless.
Bullshit. The higher rated Batman movies tended to gross better, the lower rated tended gross worse.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchi...?id=batman.htm

1 The Dark Knight $533,345,358
2 The Dark Knight Rises $448,139,099
3 Batman $251,188,924
4 Batman Begins $205,343,774
5 Batman Forever $184,031,112
6 Batman Returns $162,831,698
7 Batman and Robin $107,325,195

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Does anyone who has seen this movie think it would be enjoyable if you had no preconceived notions of what Superman/Batman/Lex/WW should be like? Like, if these were all original IP that you had no expectations of, would it be as bad?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>

Every single thing that is wrong with Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

A spoiler-packed guide to all that?s off about the superhero clash, from Lex Luthor as a malfunctioning android to Bruce Wayne?s fickle take on demolition
This piece contains spoilers for Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. Don?t read it unless you?ve seen the film or don?t care about spoilers
Like a big, wet glob of fetid bird droppings tumbling down from the sky, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice has landed with an audible splat. It?s been almost three years since director Zack Snyder revealed the project at San Diego Comic-Con and in those years, the multimillion-dollar hype machine has been slowed only periodically by rumblings that something was amiss with the film. Amid splashy trailer releases and return trips to Comic-Con there?s been a steady drumbeat of skepticism in the background. How bad could it be? Well, it turns out, pretty bad.

Despite the 30% Rotten Tomatoes score, you probably rushed out and gobbled up this picture with the reckless abandon of DJ Khaled confronted with a horse trough full of fried chicken. You ? the hypothetical reader whom I am very certain is terribly attractive, very intelligent, and wise beyond your years ? probably want someone to explain what it is you just witnessed. I would like to offer up my expertise free of charge so that you might better understand the many layers of this motion picture event. I warn you now that this is a spoiler-heavy article, so if you haven?t seen the film and want to remain untainted, please click away immediately. I won?t mind. I mean, you?ve already clicked on it anyway, so cha-ching.

The film opens with one of many dream sequences. Let me just say here early that Batman v Superman is mostly dream sequences, and those scenes that are not dreams still seem to function as though the basic laws of reality do not exist. Granted, this is a film about an alien and an alcoholic billionaire pervert throwing each other around in the rain while grimacing heavily. I should probably cut it some slack.

Anyway, Bruce Wayne dreams about his parents being gunned down in front of a movie theater. This is intercut with Bruce Wayne tumbling down a hole where he discovers a massive gathering of bats in a cave. These bats swarm around him, magically lifting him up and out of the hole while he strikes a Christ pose. In other words, we are off to a smashing start. After that, we witness Metropolis being wiped out by Superman and General Zod from the last movie. Superman destroys one of Bruce Wayne?s buildings by accident, which makes Wayne hate Superman. This is an important plot point. You see, Batman only approves of the destruction of private property when he?s the one doing the destroying. Later in the film, Batman tears through the city in his own personal tank, blows up some cars, shoots up a building with his Batwing, kills numerous anonymous henchmen, and lures a dangerous mutant back to a populated area without a coherent plan to defeat it. But he?s not an alien, so it?s OK. I should also mention that Bruce Wayne has a second dream about his dead parents in which blood pours out of his mother?s tomb, then explodes to reveal a demon inside of it. I think maybe he has some unresolved issues.

Bruce Wayne is not alone in hating Superman. The United States government is none too pleased with the last son of Krypton leveling large parts of a major city. Lex Luthor, a wealthy businessman and scientist, also hates Superman. Now, you probably couldn?t quite figure out why Lex Luthor hated Superman so much. Unlike Batman, he has no clear professional jealousy. In fact, in a brief aside, Luthor mentions the construction projects his company undertook after Superman wrecked Metropolis. If he had just kept his mouth shut and let Superman topple a few more buildings, he could have kept raking in the government contracts for decades to come. Instead, he spends most of the movie trying to get Batman and Superman to fight, then creates a monster in a pool of brown toilet water for no reason. I thought this guy was some kinda genius? It doesn?t make sense at first, but upon second viewing, it?s clear that Lex Luthor is actually a malfunctioning android and his moronic behavior is due to his circuits being fried. Every bizarre character choice can be chalked up to what I like to call the ?Android Defense?. Something happened in Batman v Superman that doesn?t make any sense? It was probably done by a secretly malfunctioning robot.

Sorry, got a bit off track here. Batman has another dream, where Superman has become a fascist dictator with his own army of stormtroopers. Batman is a lone freedom fighter rebelling against Superman?s iron rule. At the end of the dream, Superman punches a hole in Batman?s chest. Batman wakes up and sees The Flash (not identified as such, I just know because I?m a nerd) inside a time vortex. Flash explains some important plot points for another movie, then disappears. Why is The Flash invading Batman?s dreams? Why did he travel back in time? He?s got to juggle a lot of balls and he only has one butler to handle all of his affairs. He?s not a huge note-taker and doesn?t maintain an iCal. Things slip through the cracks. That?s why he sent The Flash back in time in the first place, like a really elaborate Post-It note. Unfortunately, if Batman had never forgotten about his dream, he never would have sent back The Flash to remind him about the dream, which creates a major paradox, which I don?t want to get into right now.

I haven?t even mentioned Wonder Woman, AKA Diana Prince, warrior princess of Themyscira. Wonder Woman periodically shows up at parties to annoy Bruce Wayne. She steals some computer files from Lex Luthor during a fundraiser for a library or something. Then, Bruce and Diana meet at a totally different party where they stare at a dagger in a glass case. You may have wondered whose party that was, why either of the characters were at that party, and what the point of the knife in the box was. Look, cool people get invited to parties all the time that you don?t know about. You should be used to this by now. Stop asking. It makes you look desperate.

Bruce Wayne opens up Lex Luthor?s computer files and discovers a photo of Wonder Woman from the first world war, plus some trailers for other Warner Bros movies. Luthor even designed logos for all of these movies in Adobe Illustrator. Why does Lex Luthor have four blatant bits of product placement on his computer? Because he?s been maintaining a secret double life as a film publicist. You thought running a multinational corporation while trying to murder an indestructible flying alien was hard? Try selling the Aquaman movie.

Back to Superman, he?s quite depressed over the mixed reaction to his theatrical heroics, and I don?t mean the reviews for Man of Steel either. Some worship him for his daring deeds, while others are terrified of the unchecked power he wields. Using that divided public opinion against him, Lex Luthor attempts to frame Superman for a variety of very un-Superman activities ? shooting up a village, neglecting to stop a suicide bomber, and drinking red wine with seafood. Of course, Superman would do none of these things, but that doesn?t stop the public from turning on him, playing directly into Luthor?s hands.

Dejected, Superman flies off to Buffalo, New York, or some other desolate, snow-covered landscape. There, we are treated to yet another dream sequence. This time, Clark Kent imagines seeing his father throwing bricks on to a pile of other bricks while telling a story about inadvertently ruining the lives of his neighbors during a flood. At this point, you may have asked yourself why Superman flew out to this barren wasteland. You may have also asked what that pile of rocks was? Maybe you thought it was the place where Clark Kent?s dad is buried, but I?m fairly certain it?s been established that he was buried on the Kent farm. So why the hell is Superman having visions of his dead dad in the middle of nowhere? As with everything, there is a simple answer. Nothing reminds me more of Kevin Costner?s acting than a pile of rocks, bricks and twigs in the snow. So, it?s natural that when one sees a pile of inanimate objects, one would pause to consider Kevin Costner. This movie makes perfect sense.

Considering the title of the film, Batman and Superman fight toward the end of the story. It?s as brutal and ruthless as it is boring, with the fisticuffs coming to an abrupt end when Batman realizes that his mom and Superman?s mom have the same first name. If only Biggie and Tupac?s moms had the same first name. They might still be here today.

Lex Luthor?s monster, Doomsday, is unleashed and Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman join forces to defeat him. Why did Lex Luthor create a monster he couldn?t control when he easily could have just shot Superman with a kryptonite rocket 30 minutes into the movie? Why did he waste all of that time convincing Batman and Superman to fight if he was just going to create Doomsday? What if Batman killed Superman? Would Lex Luthor still have a need for a rampaging, uncontrollable beast?

At the end of the film, Superman sacrifices himself to defeat Doomsday, leaving Batman and Wonder Woman to form the Justice League in his absence. Lex Luthor has gone crazy (because he is a malfunctioning android) and has had his head shaved because long hair is strictly forbidden in solitary confinement, as everyone knows. He could have hidden a knife or a grenade in that moptop. Batman mourns his friend, who he had been pals with for a grand total of a couple hours and had previously been single-mindedly obsessed with murdering. Why was Batman so broken up about the death of a man he had spent two years despising? Because, as a great man (me) once said (right now, for the first time), the greatest friendships are the ones that burn out the quickest. If you learn anything from this movie, it should be that. If I were Warner Bros, I?d be throwing that brilliant aphorism on a T-shirt right now.
This review, while obviously overblown and exaggerated, does mention a lot of the issues I had with the movie. Take out all the hyperbole and ridiculous things this guy says, and you still have a shitload of things that don't make sense in the movie. A shitload.

Sure, I'm a Superman fanbois, and this take on him was as uninspiring as you can get. Similarly, Batman was on the verge of being someone to root against in this film up until the point they decide to team up. Both of those characterizations put together make for the exact opposite of what a Batman v Superman movie should be. Except for the fact that Luthor was the biggest douche in the film, there was almost no one at all to even root for until the end. How does that even happen in a movie with these two??

We can argue until we are all blue in the face about whether or not a particular take on Batman or Superman will sell tickets, but the reality is that somewhere, somehow, there IS a story that could have been told that was fairly true to their characters, entertaining to watch, AND made a shitpile of money. This was, however, almost the exact opposite of the first two points.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Bullshit, he blew up those armored cars that were shooting at him outside, even though the bullets were bouncing off of the batplane (killing the guys inside of them). He stabbed a guy with a knife. There was the whole grenade thing that could have been done differently. He marked guys with a bat symbol, knowing it would get them killed in prison. And then there were the other deaths. In the scenes he was in, I thought it was like watching Arnold in Terminator or Commando.
Bullshit on your bullshit! LOL

Make no mistake, the nit I'm picking here isn't that this Batman isn't more violent that all other versions, it's that you're comparing him to the Punisher as if DC was trying to mimic him with this version of Batman. And with a straight face, no less.

He stabbed a guy with a knife.
This is why I know that this discussion/debate will never be resolved or go anywhere. To me that's such an insignificant thing to quibble over that it's almost like you and others are struggling to find as many things to complain about as possible.

You don't WANT this Batman, your mind is already made up. I don't really care all that much myself, this is just another Internet argument to me and people foaming at the mouth over it seems fucking bizarre.

I'm the biggest Batman homer on this board
No way! Pull the other one.

Maybe it would have been for Thomas Wayne in Flashpoint.
I actually think that this has merit, in that they're borrowing so heavily from alternative source material. In the comics world we could all just shrug and be like"it's not canon, lol", but Christ on a crutch, people are acting like someone just murdered their firstborn here.