Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Get Snyder off of this. I don't want to see Snyder's take on the Batman series. Guess what? He's in charge of that. So expect a trilogy of the "Dark Defender."
I haven't seen that reported yet. He's definitely doing Justice League Pt 1 and he's producing Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman but beyond that I don't think his role is etched in stone. The rumor mill has Affleck as the favorite for directing the new Batman stand alones. But Snyder is definitely the major player in the current plan for their cinematic universe. If their movies keep making a lot of money that won't likely change short of him just burning out.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I hope in his self-directed one some guy makes a remark about one of the terrorists in Gotham being Muslim and Batfleck just stops and starts saying "That's just gross... it's just gross and it's racist!"

Royal

Cute

MoS was the first movie in the new iteration of the DCCU. It made close to 670 million worldwide. Compare that to Winter Soldier (came out a year prior, recognizable hero, not overwhelmingly team centric) which made almost 715 million. MoS was more expensive to make but it made back triple it's production cost.

Even though they weren't that long ago the Bale Batman movies can't be lumped in with these newer ones because they were produced under a different regime. What they did or didn't do will have little bearing on the internal rationalizations that will be going on over at WB with respect to validating the judgement of those at the helm.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Probably why the last Captain American was so good - they weren't just fighting the equivalent of mindless zombie hordes. I still like the marvel movies a great deal, but the fact that DCU isn't trying to make the same movies as Marvel isn't a bad thing to me.

Zyke.

This is so true. Winter Soldier was a serious movie, not the colorful type stuff, not the childish tone and humour, no fighting against zombie hordes or trying to shut down a beam to the sky.
You see that the stakes are high, there are consequences if cap and his team fails.
Not a comic book expert but DC always used the darker tone and marvel is "lighter" but when people praise Avengers, I really don't get it.

(Haven't seen age of ultron though and probably never will)

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Cute

MoS was the first movie in the new iteration of the DCCU. It made close to 670 million worldwide. Compare that to Winter Soldier (came out a year prior, recognizable hero, not overwhelmingly team centric) which made almost 715 million. MoS was more expensive to make but it made back triple it's production cost.

Even though they weren't that long ago the Bale Batman movies can't be lumped in with these newer ones because they were produced under a different regime. What they did or didn't do will have little bearing on the internal rationalizations that will be going on over at WB with respect to validating the judgement of those at the helm.
Ww is meaningless, the studio takes a tiny fraction of the box office. Domestic is all that matters and MoS lost almost a hundred million dollars.

Yeah you can fuzzy math dvd/br, licensing, toys, and monetize "brand awareness" into a dollar amount and claim it made money but lol.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Ww is meaningless, the studio takes a tiny fraction of the box office. Domestic is all that matters and MoS lost almost a hundred million dollars.

Yeah you can fuzzy math dvd/br, licensing, toys, and monetize "brand awareness" into a dollar amount and claim it made money but lol.
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about

dechire

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So I didn't hate the movie Id probably rank it higher than Iron Man 3 or Dark World but with severe problems with the characters. At this point we know what to expect out of Snyder so I think a lot of the blame should go to the writers Goyer's and Terrio. I can never figure out if Goyer gets this shit or not and i'm leaning "not". I weep for Sandman. I did enjoy Affleck as Bats and I'd like to see more of that. DC please be smart to have him direct. Aquaman looks about as meh as I expected and I have low expectations for this worlds Flash. Wonder Woman should be fine, my wife really liked her and commented several times on her.

DC cant do what Marvel does, the bright funny irreverence would be seen as copying them however the amount of grim-dark in DC is a bit much. Its OK with Bats but the other characters should all balance that out more. That being said Suicide Squad should be an easy win for DC as I think it works perfectly in this universe. With Marvel movies you can see the love the cast and crew turn into the movies and they feel fun; With DC movies its a fucking chore and the only bright points are when someone either loves the characters or at least respects them. In that regard Batman has had the best time of it.

Oh well if we give it 20 years all this shit will be rebooted at least DCs animated stuff is solid and the TV series are chugging along with a mixed bag of success.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Oh well if we give it 20 years all this shit will be rebooted at least DCs animated stuff is solid and the TV series are chugging along with a mixed bag of success.
What does it say when every DC animated movie had a superior story than BvS?

Royal

Mm-hmm ...

Man of Steel: Production Budget - 225 million, Box Office domestic/worldwide - 291/377 million
Captain America: The Winter Soldier: Production Budget - 170 million, Box Office domestic/worldwide - 259/454 million

Again, very comparable numbers even though MoS was a bit more expensive to make. It also made more domestically which you seem to think is all that matters.

You mentioned fuzzy math and that really is all Hollywood accounting is. It's notoriously manipulated. But you can judge from the studio's actions afterwards to know that MoS didn't loose them 100 million. They wouldn't have handed BvS to Snyderandincrease his budgetandlock him in for Justice League if it did.

Caliane

That DC owns the animated medium for comics and has for a looooooong time. I am re-watching Justice League as I type this.
ahem... Disney. Unless DC gets their shit together quick. even the animated front is done.
Marvel is owning video games, and has made massive inroads in animation. bunch of shit on TV, and has pixar now. Big hero 6 was a Marvel comic.

Marvel owning the hell out of Netflix of course. while DC/marvel kindof even on networks with Flash/arrow/Supergirl vs Shield/AgentCarter.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
yeah the big difference between marvel cartoons and dc cartoons is that marvel is like 50/50 on good/bad whereas dc is almost 100%. Not counting the movies, which went to shit after Flashpoint.

Devlin

Golden Squire
Superman has always been a fucking boring character, he's boring in the comics and he's boring in the movies.

The Christopher Reeves movies were special because they were the first of their kind but Superman is still fucking boring in them because when you're the ultimate deus ex machina there isn't anything to get excited about.

He doesn't even have a personality, he's the superhero you'd least like to hang out with.

dechire

Bronze Knight of the Realm
ahem... Disney. Unless DC gets their shit together quick. even the animated front is done.
Marvel is owning video games, and has made massive inroads in animation. bunch of shit on TV, and has pixar now. Big hero 6 was a Marvel comic.
Hardly while a fantastic little film Big Hero 6 is a comic to movie that so completely different that it would be hated by purists if there were any purists that gave a shit. DC has years and years of animation to beat before Marvel can do it none of the current animated shows come close. We have an animated thread somewhere I suggest we migrate over there and continue.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Finally the only review that matters is up. Entire movie felt like they were trying to shove in years of established cinematic universe continuity into one movie, hopefully they learn from their mistakes with this.

Devlin

Golden Squire
I have to say I'm very pleased it's doing well because the alternative would be to bin everything and start again and I'm fucking sick of Batman/Superman origin stories.

This way they have the opportunity to correct their mistakes by hiring a new director and writer for future movies in the franchise and introduce more light hearted characters.

The half in the bag review made a good point, DC has a shitty cast of heroes compared to Marvel. They have shitty outfits and shitty gimmicks (Hawkman, Aquaman, Shazam, Green Arrow, Big Barda). They can't win if they bring those characters to the screen with a direct representation of the comics and they can't win if they change them.

Suicide Squad at least utilises DC's villains which are about a million times more interesting/cooler.