Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Woolygimp

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Terrible movie. Ben Affleck as batman? For real?

Was there anyone out there that actually thought the twist ending was actually a twist, and that Superman would actually die? DC heroes/villains have no inner conflict, no weaknesses, they're like children with superpowers. Superpowers so strong that they can't fucking die? How is that interesting? That's why Marvel works so well; the heroes behave like humans, the conflicts seem real, and instead of god vs nerd (Superman vs Lex) it's mortals vs god (Avengers vs Thanos) and shit gets wrecked.

I thought Batman didn't kill people or had a moral code, but he really loved using rockets and guns in this movie. He saw Superman destroy have of Metropolis, and he decided he'd do the exact same thing. Everything so forced, so predictable...

And I love Neil DeGrasse Tyson, but I actually lost respect for him just because he was in this movie. I've never watched a Superman movie where I wasn't bored to fucking tears, period. He's the dumbest fucking comic book hero ever written. Hey, weak to kryptonite... except I'm actually not and can't die! Jokes on you nerds!

Marvel doesn't take its movies ultra-seriously, so they're fun as hell. Like Star Wars. These DC piles of shit are like watching a documentary, except it's fiction. Putting comic book heroes in the real world and then making them super-seriuz just does. not. work. How the fuck were DC comics even popular to begin with? Whoever wrote these heroes needs to die...even Batman sucks. I'll take the talking Raccoon and blue space Alien with the whistling pencil of death over this shit any day of the week.

I never watched the movie before. I started watching it 2 days ago. I made it to the 60 minute point, and it was SO BORING. I know it'll get better soon when the action comes around, but god damn was it bad for the first third. I was watching the 3 hour version.
No, you're wrong. Since the action is completely predictable, the twist not even a twist, there's really no climax. Nobody is in any danger, they do exactly what you'd expect them to do, and it turns out exactly the way you thought it would, and there's not even one line in the entire movie that will make you smirk the slightest. "Oh, I don't deserve you Alfred." "No. You do not." "And so fools the house of Wayne." afklsdhfjadskl

You're better off watching a history channel "How It's Made!". Just look at the names: "Batman" "Superman" "Wonder Woman" Jesus, does everything have to have the persons gender in it? If they made a Mexican superhero he'd be Ultra Mexican Man.

Woolygimp

Btw, Marvel heroes are not corny. A man who uses his wits, is proficient with a space gun, but also very immature and childish, would die if he's shot, and an anti-hero is a lot more interesting than Superman who is basically Hulk + Thor + Cyclops + Wolverine + Quinjet with a Martha Stewart personality, and hair gel so strong that even if he's thrown through 5 buildings his fucking hair doesn't mess up, nor does he sweat. Almost everyone in the theatre laughed at the, "I think that went over his head." "Nothing goes over my head, my reflexes are too fast. I catch it." line in GotG. Then the Guardian's soundtrack is perfect when I want to listen to 70s/80s music.

Then when he dies, he really doesn't die. What the fuck? General Zod fucking died, and stayed dead. Why is a broken neck any more fatal than a spear through the fucking heart?

I'd rather watch paint dry. I can see why DC heroes were popular in the 50's with people who chain smoked 500 cigarettes and thought WD-40 was a condiment, but holy fuck... there's actually a couple fans in our generation? What the fuck. Tony Stark is like genius version of Donald Trump with a super-suit. It's great.

One reviewer said that the MCU uses a brighter color palette, but has darker themes, than the DCU. I agree. In this movie, Batman and Superman were hitting on each other like a bunch of five year olds on the playground. Although, the Ultimate Edition does better in explaining their motives.

So far, I'll go on record that this movie would have been closer to a 50% score (than a 27) if it wasn't so over edited. I haven't finished it yet.
I'd have given it a higher rating if it were shorter. And Superman is so powerful that he can't dodge a fucking grenade, twice? Faster than a speeding bullet, but slower than a grenade. He could have just grabbed Batman, put his hands behind his back, thrown away the grenade launcher, brought him into to about 10,000 feet and talked sense into him.

Woolygimp

I haven't even seen the movie. It's just that of course he will be in the future of the dc universe in some fashion. Maybe the death is real but if so there will be a rez of some kind.
They confirmed that Superman didn't die and he'll be back. I mean, I've been around 30 years and I've never seen dirt spontaneously start floating. There was nothing ambiguous about the ending at all, except how fucking retarded it is that he doesn't stay dead. Zod didn't reopen his eyes and bitch slap Lex Luther when he was his plaything, but Superman is super?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
They confirmed that Superman didn't die and he'll be back. I mean, I've been around 30 years and I've never seen dirt spontaneously start floating. There was nothing ambiguous about the ending at all, except how fucking retarded it is that he doesn't stay dead. Zod didn't reopen his eyes and bitch slap Lex Luther when he was his plaything, but Superman is super?
Obviously he will be alive because they want him to be alive, and because comic books, but if you *really* wanted to give an explanation it wouldn't be too far out of the realm of possibility to say that since Superman has lived here for 30 years and absorbed so much power from our sun and atmosphere his "death" isn't anywhere near the same as Zod's, who had only been here for a week or two.

I mean, it is all dumb and shitty, and I hate even looking like I might be defending anything about this shitshow of a movie, but it isn't that hard to come up with a comic reason for shit like this. Zod caught up in the flying and heat vision and shit because he was trained to be a warrior (not on a farm, still love that line), but there's no way to catch up with 30 years of exposure.

I still can't bring myself to watch this longer version. My heart just isn't in it. I can rewatch MoS (skipping the first 20 minutes) any time and sort of enjoy it, but there's just nothing I even liked about Superman or Batman in this movie. And I despise Eisenberg, particularly in this movie, so more of him isn't going to make things better.

Woolygimp

Obviously he will be alive because they want him to be alive, and because comic books, but if you *really* wanted to give an explanation it wouldn't be too far out of the realm of possibility to say that since Superman has lived here for 30 years and absorbed so much power from our sun and atmosphere his "death" isn't anywhere near the same as Zod's, who had only been here for a week or two.

I mean, it is all dumb and shitty, and I hate even looking like I might be defending anything about this shitshow of a movie, but it isn't that hard to come up with a comic reason for shit like this. Zod caught up in the flying and heat vision and shit because he was trained to be a warrior (not on a farm, still love that line), but there's no way to catch up with 30 years of exposure.

I still can't bring myself to watch this longer version. My heart just isn't in it. I can rewatch MoS (skipping the first 20 minutes) any time and sort of enjoy it, but there's just nothing I even liked about Superman or Batman in this movie. And I despise Eisenberg, particularly in this movie, so more of him isn't going to make things better.
Origin stories are usually always better than what comes after. The only exception is Wolverine: Origins, lol. Being introduced to a character before they have their powers, where they're weak (Peter Parker getting bullied) and seeing them transform usually makes for a good movie. Man of Steel wasn't very good, but it was worth watching because of the originality of seeing Krypton society displayed. The first 20 minutes were better than the rest of the film, Russell Crowe could make shit shine.

IDK, something about Superman just really bothers me. He's a walking Deus Ex Machina basically. The writers can do anything they want, resurrect him, tear down a building, go catch a meteor in out space, fly through the fucking sun, and so on Then the mechanics don't make any sense, he's weaker in different atmospheres but he can survive a nuclear blast in outer space without an atmosphere? It's just boring.

Devlin

Golden Squire
Inb4 someone says Superman isn't boring and goes on to give no evidence whatsoever of him not being boring.

Caliane

Inb4 someone says Superman isn't boring and goes on to give no evidence whatsoever of him not being boring.
yeah. I mean, aside from 85 years of comics. And, TV.
no evidence at all.

(March)
1 Batman 50 $5.99 DC 163,406
2 Mighty Morphin Power Rangers 1 $3.99 Boom 119,536
3 Star Wars 17 $3.99 Marvel 107,058
4 Superman 50 $4.99 DC 91,396
5 Amazing Spider-Man

Superman is really boring. no one reads Superman comics.

All-Star superman isn't considered one of the best comics in the last 20 years. Nor, Red Son.

Only thing more dumb is you all say DC characters, when you mean Superman exclusively. "DC characters have no flaws" Clearly, either you never read any DC comics, or you mean just Superman. Batman sure as hell has character flaws, Constantine does, Booster does, Blue Beetle does, Martian manhunter does, Hawkman does, Hawkwoman does, all Lanterns do, Guy Gardner doesn't have character flaws? Hal Jordan doesn't? Kyle rayner doesnt? Carol doesn't? the fuck? Teen titans, titans, JLI, Stargirl, Zatanna, etc. on and on. The shit you people are saying is patently absurd.
Go read Omega Men.

Suicide squad is coming out soon.

Woolygimp

yeah. I mean, aside from 85 years of comics. And, TV.
no evidence at all.

(March)
1 Batman 50 $5.99 DC 163,406
2 Mighty Morphin Power Rangers 1 $3.99 Boom 119,536
3 Star Wars 17 $3.99 Marvel 107,058
4 Superman 50 $4.99 DC 91,396
5 Amazing Spider-Man

Superman is really boring. no one reads Superman comics.

All-Star superman isn't considered one of the best comics in the last 20 years. Nor, Red Son.

Only thing more dumb is you all say DC characters, when you mean Superman exclusively. "DC characters have no flaws" Clearly, either you never read any DC comics, or you mean just Superman. Batman sure as hell has character flaws, Constantine does, Booster does, Blue Beetle does, Martian manhunter does, Hawkman does, Hawkwoman does, all Lanterns do, etc, etc. Guy Gardner doesn't have character flawS? Hal Jordan doesn't? Kyle rayner doesnt? Carol doesn't? the fuck?

Suicide squad is coming out soon.
God, just reading the names of those characters fucking annoys me. Like I said, I can see why Superman was popular with the WW2 generation. His biggest flaw is that he's flawless. He is the very definition of a Deux Ex, and that doesn't make for a good story.

Marvel is just so much more interesting, you have all these different worlds spread out over the galaxy, linked by a World Tree in Asgard. You have it all; ancient viking civilization, spaceships, vulnerable alien and human heroes, etc. with enough variability and originality to make for a fun story. You can't really introduce any humor into a movie about a boy who was left in a cave after his parents were murdered,

DC tries to be dark, gritty, and serious but these are fucking comic books. I don't read comics, but DC heroes do not transfer well to the big screen. I'm tired of watching about how powerful Superman is, when he's basically never going to lose, ever. The only variable is how long it takes for him to defeat his opponent, there's no question as to if he will. Even Man of Steel tried to explain away the dumb fucking S on his chest to mean "honor" or something in ancient Kryptonian. It's a fucking S and it stands for Superman, and super stupid.

Watching Thor and Loki, both of whom have unique and very different powers, go at it so much more interesting.

Woolygimp

Btw, Gotham has the universe's dumbest villains. All they have to do is commit crimes during the day, while Bruce is sleeping in.

Caliane

God, just reading the names of those characters fucking annoys me. Like I said, I can see why Superman was popular with the WW2 generation. His biggest flaw is that he's flawless. He is the very definition of a Deux Ex, and that doesn't make for a good story.

Marvel is just so much more interesting, you have all these different worlds spread out over the galaxy, linked by a World Tree in Asgard. You have it all; ancient viking civilization, spaceships, vulnerable alien and human heroes, etc. with enough variability and originality to make for a fun story. You can't really introduce any humor into a movie about a boy who was left in a cave after his parents were murdered,

DC tries to be dark, gritty, and serious but these are fucking comic books. I don't read comics, but DC heroes do not transfer well to the big screen. I'm tired of watching about how powerful Superman is, when he's basically never going to lose, ever. The only variable is how long it takes for him to defeat his opponent, there's no question as to if he will. Even Man of Steel tried to explain away the dumb fucking S on his chest to mean "honor" or something in ancient Kryptonian. It's a fucking S and it stands for Superman, and super stupid.

Watching Thor and Loki, both of whom have unique and very different powers, go at it so much more interesting.
you obviously don't read comics, watch TV, or even watch movies, because the things you are saying do not match reality at all.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
And to say that Superman is more boring than anyone else because he can't lose is being purposely disingenuous. No other superhero has a chance of losing either. Do you hate Wolverine just as much because he's just going to heal from any wound and win in the end? Humorously enough, the only movie where he actually sort of "lost" is Origins, clearly the worst of all the ones he has been in.

You're talking about the protagonists of stories. Unless it is a tragedy, which none of these movies or comics really are, they are all going to win. That's the point of the story in the first place. I don't understand why Superman in particular chaps your hide for that reason. Iron Man isn't going to "lose" any more than Superman is.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I distinctly prefer Marvel over DC and I'm gonna have to side with everyone against Wooly here, you clearly have not actually read any of the comics. Your single points of reference appear to be talking points of other people who have not read the comics and the movies that everyone (even DC fans) complain about being bad. Well, yea, the movies are bad. Duh. They're not bad because of the source material, but bad because they're bad.

Marvel has had some real shit writing and stories over the years, and lately. The MCU is quality (and still has some terrible stories/writing in between the awesome) because they were smart about it and got people that largely knew wtf they were doing. Even the Thor movies, IM2/3, AoU, which were all kinda bad compared to the best MCU ones had really good dialogue in a lot of spots, like when I'm re-watching one in the background so I don't give a shit about the story so much and I just hear great lines, it makes me appreciate even the bad ones.

A significant amount of your gushing over Marvel aspects are things that have been refined and polished over decades, much like the things in DC have. Your collection of Marvel quality is also noticeably cherry picked, much like what you are hating on in DC.

Just complain about the movie if you didn't like the movie, but your rant against the concepts as a whole that bear nothing in relation to a bunch of the comics is kinda stupid.

Devlin

Golden Squire
Hawkman & Hawkgirl - how have these shitty characters not been retired yet, their gimmick sucks a fat dick.

Green Lantern - gets his power from an actual Green lantern, why? Who knows why?

Martian Mahunter - his look is terrible and he's from a time people thought aliens lived on Mars, they don't.

Aqua man - nuff said.

Green Arrow - Robin Hood, ugh.

Zatanna - her magic is taking backwards and a she wears the same costume as a Playboy bunny.

Woolygimp

Yeah, Marvel superheroes probably won't lose either. Thor is powerful, but he's not "all-powerful". He needs friends, he needs a team, and he can't do everything himself. If you took the climax of Age of Ultron where the box was defended by every Avenger, and two more, it took them all. Superman could've done it with one hand behind his back, and then lifted the entire floating island out of the sky by himself. Henry Canvil is like watching Days of Our Lives.... and if he has said anything in his life that funny enough to make a five year old laugh then I'd be amazed.

And side with everyone against Wooly? What the fuck, there's only one person disagreeing with me and that's including you.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Superman loses all the time. He just died. New Krypton got blowed up by Braniac a few years ago. He got solar poisoning and had to live in the sun for 850 centuries. He got nuked and barely survived. He has a tenuous relationship with his Clone/son Conner. His dad dies over and over and over again. He can't fix Kandor. He can't eradicate evil without becoming a tyrant due to the free will of humanity.

Superman is great. Goyer/Snyder are the issue.