Beginner/casual golf clubs?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I know this is the beginner/casual golf club thread but I didn't feel like creating a new one.

I demoed the new Callaway Big Bertha Alpha and the Apex irons at my club's simulator a few weeks back and goddamn were those clubs nice. I was smashing the bertha but didn't trust that they hadn't jacked with the simulator to get us to buy shit so I took out my current Titleist 910D3 and started hitting that for comparison. I was hitting the Bertha 15-20 yards further consistently. Makes a great sound when you smack one too. The Apex irons have a great feel to them and I like the weight. Was hitting those well too. Only problem with both the Bertha and the Apex irons is they are really goddamn expensive but I may just end up getting the Bertha with my pro shop credit.

Jx3

Riddle me this...
I dont think I've gotten through an entire round of golf sober.

dolaan_sl

shitlord
I am eyeing the Mizuno MP-54 irons. I need to hit them some day soon and compare them to Callaway, Titleist, etc. I have heard great things about them and I really like the company so I am leaning that way.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I know this is the beginner/casual golf club thread but I didn't feel like creating a new one.

I demoed the new Callaway Big Bertha Alpha and the Apex irons at my club's simulator a few weeks back and goddamn were those clubs nice. I was smashing the bertha but didn't trust that they hadn't jacked with the simulator to get us to buy shit so I took out my current Titleist 910D3 and started hitting that for comparison. I was hitting the Bertha 15-20 yards further consistently. Makes a great sound when you smack one too. The Apex irons have a great feel to them and I like the weight. Was hitting those well too. Only problem with both the Bertha and the Apex irons is they are really goddamn expensive but I may just end up getting the Bertha with my pro shop credit.
I'm surprised that your "club" wouldn't let you hit it on the range. Unless I am assuming this is some private country club instead of just some golf course you play at.

Khane

I am eyeing the Mizuno MP-54 irons. I need to hit them some day soon and compare them to Callaway, Titleist, etc. I have heard great things about them and I really like the company so I am leaning that way.
Mizuno has always made nice clubs but the prices have come up a bit recently. Though the new Callaway iron sets are ridiculously overpriced.

I'm surprised that your "club" wouldn't let you hit it on the range. Unless I am assuming this is some private country club instead of just some golf course you play at.
I'm in CT, there was snow on the ground. When the range is open the demo days are done outside but in this case it was just a special winter demo at the simulator. And yes, it is a private club, I'm a golf high roller.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Bro I am in CT too - and it's wonderful to be able to play again. Played 9 after work friday, 27 saturday, 18 sunday. I will start playing 9 before work pretty soon... High 40s before 9am and I'm in.

As far as beginner sets go, there are a ton of SGI (super game improvement) irons available nowadays. I just got a new set of TMAG MC 5-pw and I love them.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Getting really into golf this year. Someone in the family gifted me an old set. Nothing crazy, some Calloway irons, a humongous driver, and another Calloway Big Bertha. They're pretty beat to shit and need to be re-gripped, but it was an awesome gesture. I've been to the range a few times and consistently hitting around 200-250 yards, really working on my form lately though. Watching Tiger Woods.

My wife doesn't have a driver, just some hybrid club. We're going tomorrow to look, what brands are good for a woman? She's really short (5 feet even) and has a slower swing than most people. Ideally we'd like something that doesn't have to be cut down and a driver that will help her get a little more distance with the slower swing. She hits aruond 100-150 yards with the Hybrid now.

Khane

For beginner clubs it really, really doesn't matter. Just buy a cheap full set (you can a full set with bag for like 100-150 bucks total) and play to see if you both enjoy it.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
A lot of times places like Dick's or Golf Galaxy charge you for a fitting and then just pretend to custom fit the length of the shaft and just give you stock clubs anyway.

Don't worry about the brand at all. It's not going to make a difference for you at this stage. That set looks fine. The fact that it's only 6-PW might be detrimental a year or two down the road if you actually find yourself golfing a lot. For now though the hybrid will fill the gap of 3-5 iron all by itself until you really start hitting the ball cleanly more often.

Give this site a browse before buying, they have a lot of great deals. I buy a lot of apparel and golf balls through them:

Discount Golf Clubs | New Golf Clubs | Golf Equipment from TaylorMade, Adams Golf, Mizuno, Callaway, Cleveland, Wilson, Nike
I am so happy with the search feature here because I found this post. ^

Steady is soon to have a birthday. I have decided to give him a gift certificate for golf/cart/range to a nice course at which he has not played (he won't spend the money on himself). I put enough on the gift card for him to take a friend or 3 depending on the days/times...and it is up to him how he wants to spend it....all at once or trickling.
I thought I would get him some new golf balls etc as well. Thank you SO much, Khane Khane for this old but relevant to me post. This place has great pricesfor Chrome Soft X with free personalization. I am so happy.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
All previous suggestions stand. Her vagina will not significantly alter how the clubs work.

I know this is an old post, but I have to say it's completely wrong. Getting your nutsack to move in time and counterbalance your swing is THE MOST important factor in the perfect golf swing. Why do you think you have to wear slacks and not jeans at the golf course? I'll tell you why, it's ball room.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I also just recently started golfing. My company does a tournament every year for our customers. They have always wanted me to play on a foursome because apparently folks like talking to the geek types. Every year I threatened "By next year I will learn how to do this..." This year was the first year I followed through on it.

I took the engineering approach to anything..
A) Read the docs (i.e. watch 4 hours of shit on YouTube)
B) Practice it in a lab (I went to top golf for lunch 4 or 5 times)
C) Find a way to relate it to other experience. (When I was a teen I competed in state-wise putt putt tournaments.)

I went on Craigslist and bought a set of clubs for $30 from some chick who met me at a gas station to give me to them. Apparently her boyfriend had moved out and left them in her garage.

I get to the tournament and am paired up with some guys from one of my big customers I get along great with. Had a great time and they commented "Wow, you have the best clubs... that 1992 had to offer!" This included apparently an original Big Bertha which several of them got a chuckle out of.

Due to my skill level combined with it raining, and being a best ball shotgun start tournament I lost 17 of the 30 balls I took onto the course but had a great time.

The wife then wants to go to Top Golf. She realizes quickly she really doesn't like it, but loves that she can get drunk while I practice my driving. Out anniversary is a week later and she drops one of these on me :

s-l640.jpg

Now I feel like I need to actually try to get decent at this so I'm not that guy who sucks with pretty clubs, but the rest of my clubs still suck so I guess I'm safe.

Combine this with that I just got a Caddy and I've pretty much embraced the full horror of "middle aged white guy"

Khane

Haha dude that's funny. You just started golfing, your wife bought you a $500 driver as a gift AND you have a caddy? Do you mean you have a walking cart or did you actually join a private club and now use a human caddy?

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Haha dude that's funny. You just started golfing, your wife bought you a $500 driver as a gift AND you have a caddy? Do you mean you have a walking cart or did you actually join a private club and now use a human caddy?

My bad, Cadillac CTS. Like I said, I've played a grand total of one actual round of golf. Just trying to figure out how not to be a waste of space swinging a club right now.

Khane

Just have fun with it. You'll ruin the game for yourself if you take it too seriously right off the bat.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Rise! Rise from the grave!

Ok. I went to the golf store near my house, to try out some used clubs since they are cheap as fuck now. Took some blind swings and I chose fuckin Wilson clubs. WILSONS! They felt way better to me than the Pings and the Callaways.. Is this normal? I assume because I have zero idea what I should be looking for. But I did choose them 3 outta the 3 times.

Khane

Really any cavity back is going to be fine for the average golfer. The shaft makes much more of a difference in feel and accuracy based on swing speed. If you have average swing speed and try playing stiff or X flex shafts they're gonna feel terrible regardless of the club head. And if you swing a bit faster regular flex are gonna be almost impossible to hit straight.

What I'm trying to say is stroking is all about the shaft

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Really any cavity back is going to be fine for the average golfer. The shaft makes much more of a difference in feel and accuracy based on swing speed. If you have average swing speed and try playing stiff or X flex shafts they're gonna feel terrible regardless of the club head. And if you swing a bit faster regular flex are gonna be almost impossible to hit straight.

What I'm trying to say is stroking is all about the shaft

mvJXAvx.gif