Best 80's Action Movie and Why it's probably Die Hard

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Also disappointed nobody said

MV5BYWMzMDNlMDQtMTYyYi00OTM3LTllZDYtYThhMTk5MzNhZTRhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDUyOTUyNQ@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,678,1000_AL_.jpg

• 4Worf
  • 1Picard
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

tera

Lord Nagafen Raider
ITT: People that don't know the difference between Action and Adventure movies.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
This was mentioned once before in a group of others, but DESERVES to be singled out.

Possible the finest movie ever written and put on film! (I once wrote a paper in college discussing the greatness that is this movie)

It contains everything that defines the 80's.....unnecessary complicated karate moves, villains with a monster truck, a pounding soundtrack, plot holes as big as the same monster truck, and slow sex moves on top of a barn.

My one and only submission (with two videos ) for your humble consideration,

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'd probably lean Predator over anything else. It's more violent than Die Hard, better weapons, stealth, etc. But it was a great decade for the genre.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Back to the future was good too. Not sure if you classify that one as "action" though. But a good 80s movie nonetheless. I remember when I was like in 7th grade that movie went to my local $1.50 movie place, called Dearborn Twin on Michigan avenue, I must of seen that movie like 10 times while it was there. Like twice a week I would get home from school, ride my bike to the twin and watch that movie. They tore the place down and made a tire shop there now.

BTW, back in the 80s and 90s, these $1.50-$2 movie places were everywhere. Second runs on popular movies like a few weeks to a month after release. When we were teens I remember it was the only movies we went to. It was basically teenager hangout spots.

• 1Solidarity

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
God I miss those movie theaters. The one by me as a kid had 50 cent Tuesdays which even went for popcorn and a soda also. It cost my parents 3 bucks to get rid of me for hours because the left over money went to the arcade next door.

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
We still have one of those around here, I think it's like $2-3 dollars now been a while since I last went. They run movies like a month behind or two. I should use it more often.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Anyone mention Krull yet. Having a hard time remembering the obscure ones that still kicked ass.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Aliens and predator are a tie for me. Both are extremly re watchable to this day. Aliens just fucked my world up in the movie theaters. Predator was just so well made, you can't ever hate on that movie even almost 40 years down the road.

There ain't no creature as iconic as those two either.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

SuperNaught

Trakanon Raider
It's difficult to pick one. That was a great decade for movies.

The Abyss is a favorite of mine. Not sure that counts as action.

Aliens, Predator and Terminator are high up there. And yeah, Big Trouble in Little China. Not the best but still like it. I too never drive faster than I can see.

omgjackburton.jpg

• 1Like

Jait

Molten Core Raider
It’s funny that Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi doesn’t get mentioned often. But also just as much a part of ridiculous 80s action plots.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
It’s funny that Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi doesn’t get mentioned often. But also just as much a part of ridiculous 80s action plots.

Because looking back, its shit. I mean, it was ahead of its time in effects and shit, but other than that its shit.

• 1Like
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Jait

Molten Core Raider
For some reason thinking of Empire reminded me of Ice Pirates. Another good one. And for what it was and not what it wasn’t: Dune.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Some really iconic franchises in the 80s.

Mad Max series though honestly I prefer the first one in 1979. I think Predator, Terminator, and Aliens are the most iconic, and love them. Seen them a dozen times or more.

That being said my favorite action character from the 80s has to be Jack Burton. It definitely was not growing up. It was probably Arnold as Matrix or Dutch, but as I got older Carpenter and Russell's pairings have become my favorites. They made 3 of the most iconic movies of the century. The Thing, Escape From New York, and much less respected but perhaps my favorite Big Trouble in Little China. Jack is really easy to identify with. He has the swagger of the every day working guy that is just bad ass enough to get the job done. The Thing is probably the best creature feature of all time. It has spawned so many homages (yes I know it was not the original but it is the best). Oh and call me Snake.

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
This thread has pretty much become a list of movies I need to add to my plex server.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users