Best PC RPGS of the last decade

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I guess I'm just fucking old because up until Steam made it easy, this was every single PC game on the market. I was constantly having to download patches and drivers to get games to run correctly along with editing config files by hand to make sure everything was to my liking. Also, input type has no bearing on whether a game on the PC is great or not. In fact, it is part of what makes PC gaming head and shoulders above console gaming. On a PC you can use the ideal input be it kb+mouse, controller, joystick, etc. PC gaming has far fewer limitations all around and that makes it awesome.
Yeah I think I accepted the reality of PC gaming requiring some technical competence back when I was setting what fucking SoundBlaster version and IRQ I was using or whatever.

Forget the console vs PC argument and whether Dark Souls is better on PC (it is btw), Dark Souls is through and through an RPG in every sense of the word.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
You cant tell me you dont miss having to make a unique boot disk for each game you own, each with a slightly different config.sys and autoexec.bat file. Kids nowadays dont have to make decisions like do they want sound, or do they want to use a mouse, because you dont have enough free memory for both, gotta choose 1. Aaah, the good old days.

To stay somewhat on topic, I had to play through the entirety on Ultima Underworld 1 with no sound, exactly because of that issue. Was still a great game anyways.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Still pissed me off. I had recently bought a Soundblaster Pro(or more accurately, begged my parents for one) just for Ultima 7, so I could get the voices in the cutscenes.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
If you haven't played Dark Souls, do it. It may be the best game of the last 2 decades, let alone the best RPG.
Seriously, Bloodlines. Easily the best RPG I've played since Planescape. It's essentially bug-free with the patch and will probably cost something close to 5$ from steam/gmg.
Should I try Bloodlines? never really played it.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
Should I try Bloodlines? never really played it.
The storyline and atmosphere is really nice. I found the combat to be the weak point of the game. As was mentioned, the unofficial patch is an absolute requirement before you play.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
KOTOR was also really good. I love stories with crazy twists, and maybe I was naive going into it but I didn't see the twist coming. Mind blown.
I never saw it coming either and I totally had a holy shit moment when it was revealed. Unfortunately thats why I could never replay that game again because otherwise it wasnt that great of an RPG in retrospect.

Planescape: Torment is my favorite RPG of all time. If you know Chris Avellone (and love him) this is one of his most well known projects. It's amazing. The story is fucking phenomenal.
tried to get into this game and play this game like 5 million times and never could. always stopped after a few hours. just dont get why people like it so much

iannis

Musty Nester
The mechanics are dated. It's a slow build story.

Shit gets SUPER fucking dark super quick, but it doesn't really melt your face until about halfway through. And it's in the partial stories of the companions and you as the player piecing together that your Nameless Man is one truly evil motherfucker. All the fucked up shit that your companions have gone through -- yep, guess who did that to them.

Basically it's all slow exposition until you hit the Witch, and then bam. Nuts in your face. Giant hairy ones. Fuckin' Blood War dude, fuckin' blood war.

That's one of the reasons people like it so much. Most of the fantasy games you're the hero. Especially up until that point. Planescape played on that expectation, subverted it, and still allowed you to try to "redeem" yourself in little ways if you felt like it. This was before the moral choice crap was a thing. The game actually did present a couple of moral choices.

But it is so dated now that yeah. It doesn't age well. The story does, just not the game.

iannis

Musty Nester
The thing that I love most about PS:T is that no matter how you choose (you can be the most virtuous motherfucker the game allows you to be) it ends the same way. It is an absurdly bleak and pessimistic story. But it's great. lol. Hope? Redemption?

FUCK YOU, BACK TO THE FRONT.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I tried to get into PS:T a few times. Also couldn't do it. I think I just replayed BG too many times and am spoiled by modern gaming.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
i owned the game a year or two since it came out, so 02? 03? i coulnt get back into it then

i hate being handheld as much as the next guy but this game offered virtually no clues about what the fuck to do next. you just ran around clicked everything and talked to everyone and that was annoying.

also i guess you never actually leave that shit hole of a town so fuck that too

as far as masquerade bloodlines goes, what patch number should i be using? there's like a gajillion of different official, unofficial, etc. versions

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
on the subject of Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II

owned both for a decade, never could get into them either.

something about controlling 6 characters in real time is simply too confusing for me at the time I guess. Should i give them another chance? i really never played or got through many PC RPGs.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Hey you can always solo it. Just roll a mage/thief/warrior multi-class and do it all yourself.

But yeah, it's one of the best RPGs ever made. It's just kinda dated now.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Played masquerade bloodlines, did the first 3 quests and the tutorial, its Ok. i guess. Combat is decent, dialogue is OK and killing hookers is fun even as rudimentary as it is. i wish they expanded more on the hooker killing mechanics. as a matter of fact, i wish there was a game where you can play a serial killer

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
I tried to get into PS:T a few times. Also couldn't do it. I think I just replayed BG too many times and am spoiled by modern gaming.
Yeah, I can't get into PS:T either. I tried really hard a few months ago and decided that I would force myself to player longer then 1-2 hours. So I put a whole night into the game and was bored the entire time. I still enjoy old rpgs like Fallout and the Ultima series too so it isn't a age thing. The game is just boring. To each their own I guess. /shrug

It's a little more than a decade old, but Wizardry 8 holds up really well if you're interested in a more old school RPG. It's available on GOG.

I thought NWN2 was fantastic, but I'm a sucker for all things D&D.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
BG1/2 can be beaten playing just one character. Or if you really want just make a party of 6 fighters or something and right click your way to victory. Doesn't really matter.

PS:T is one of those games thatisboring but if you enjoyed the dialogue then you convince yourself it wasn't as bad as you thought it would be. If you go in expecting Baldur's Gate you're going to have a bad time. If Baldur's Gate is like playing dungeons and dragons, then Planescape is like having a good DM but no dice.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
BG1/2 can be beaten playing just one character. Or if you really want just make a party of 6 fighters or something and right click your way to victory. Doesn't really matter.

PS:T is one of those games thatisboring but if you enjoyed the dialogue then you convince yourself it wasn't as bad as you thought it would be. If you go in expecting Baldur's Gate you're going to have a bad time. If Baldur's Gate is like playing dungeons and dragons, then Planescape is like having a good DM but no dice.
Ok, once school starts I really need to play it, sounds a lot like Witcher 1
biggrin.png

Caliane

PS:T is one of those games that really should have just been an adventure game or interactive novel. yeah. the combat really sandbags it.