Best place to live

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Where's a great place to live if you fucking hate people but want high speed internet?
I won't lie, the Google fiber thing is a big reason Raleigh was on my list. Just not having to deal with Comcast is a huge plus.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Where's a great place to live if you fucking hate people but want high speed internet?
Across the road from a senator. I lived in BFE East, TX where dial up was tops. It was 20 miles from there to the nearest stop sign and 45 miles to wal-mart.

Kay Bailey Hutchison bought the land across the road while still in office and they put a CO for DSL at the end of my driveway. This was before 50mg become a common place. It was on par with cable at the time.

The nearest "town" had 300 people (300 on the sign going east to west, 225 going west to east lol) and to have DSL at the end of my driveway was pretty nice.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, the stadium we went to was in Viera (saw the Nats and Mets) but our hotel was in Indialantic right on the beach.

The breakfast spot was the Beachside Cafe. Not fancy at all, but the food was outstanding and it was impossible to leave anything but full. We found it the first day and literally ate there all 5 mornings. Gained fucking 5+ pounds too, but it was worth it.
Not seen that spot yet, gotta check it out, Indiatlantic is a regular haunt for us when we're doing nicer dining. Islands Fish Grill is our favorite seafood place we've found locally so far for fine dining seafood. (Plenty of divey ones closer when in the mood for those though)

Found a really good one in PSJ, forgetting the name at the moment though. Something Greek.

DMK_sl

shitlord
Gold Coast Australia. Warm winters. Not TOO hot summers (still hot at points) about 20 different beaches all along its coast. 20 minutes inland and you are into the hinterland with acreage properties. 80 dollars flights to Sydney if you want to see Australia's main city. 1hour traffic free drive to a bigger city in Brisbane but Gold Coast is a city itself. Theme Parks for kids. Probably the hottest women per dude in Australia. Gold Coast is one of the best places to live in the world hands down.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Don't consider San Jose. It fails the culture. Unless you really enjoy Asian cuisine.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Austin is going to become a complete cluster-fuck in a couple years if not sooner. The cool places are closing down, high rises are going up. It is a boom town that does not have the infrastructure to handle the influx of people coming here. Cool stuff to do here though.

As far as getting a job here...Truth, I have experienced it and know plenty of folks that go through it these days. I am looking to move.

I have lived all over the U.S. Chicago without a doubt is probably the best, but the winters and the traffic suuuuck.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
A guy I work with got a job in Stuttgart, DE a few months back. Now my boss is heading there, and I just got a job opportunity there. I won't go now because I am about a year from completing my MS and I want to get a couple more certs plus some more exp before I change zones. However, the offer was enough to get my wife thinking about overseas opportunities. Any Americans done anything like that? We are thinking the usual places for US military work: Germany, Japan, Korea. Now I probably can't be trusted around a sea of Asian women so Europe is the more likely scenario.

I worry about my kids. Especially if we end up staying there for a while, then what happens when they graduate high school and stuff.idk, a lot to think about.

Northerner

N00b
San Francisco if you can afford it. Honestly, it is a pretty fucking spectacular place to live.

Nods to N.Y. and to London (although, again, not exactly cheap) and a little love to Toronto and my home of Calgary. That's just homeboy love though of course. If it works for you then Edinborough is a pretty cool place oddly too. Kinda hip vibe for what is basically an oil ghetto with chavs and hooligans. The city is like Portland mixed in with Detroit (although almost all white with some pakistanis and indians mixed in for the making of foods).

Seriously though, SF is pretty goddamned amazing if you can cover.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Those are like the most expensive cities in the world bro, London especially

Honestly phoenix isn't bad. It doesn't shit culture out the ass but it is extremely cheap when you consider its the 6th largest city in the country. Summers suck balls but we have amazing falls winters and springs. Never have to worry about any natural disasters, ever. And you're only 1 to 2 hours away from great outdoors areas. With all the money you save living here you can just take trips to ask the places you want to go.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Come to Philly. Good climate, certainly tons of history and culture... and we'll keep you safe from the robot onslaught.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I like Asian cuisine... Are you saying San Jose has no culture other than Chinese food?
Little to none. It's a short drive to San Francisco or even Oakland/Berkeley though.

I don't know how old you are, but if I were you I would stay close to your family. "Amazing" places to live are just places once you get there and you have to ask yourself how much you will really participate in the cultural stuff. I used to hear from people in California all the fucking time "I would never live far away from the ocean" but then when you ask them when they last went to the beach it was 10 years ago. News Flash - You can go to the beach every 10 years no matter where you live. Part of that is the fact that the beaches in Northern California are cold and windy and generally unpleasant, but the point stands. You will always want/need to see your family. Having access to an authentic Laotian restaurant is very optional and something you're probably not going to take advantage of that often. Also, with the money you save by not living in these so-called cultural centers, you can afford to take more vacations and visit all of the cultural centers instead of the one you're paying an extra $2000 a month for the privilege of living close to and if you're close to family you won't have to waste your vacation time going to see them either.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Not sure it would fit, because item #1 is mostly contradicted but regardless here's my review of Brevard County, FL [outside Cape Canaveral - specifically Merritt Island]

-Climate: Sun, check. Arid/Semi-Arid, no humidity is technically high, HOWEVER outdoors due to an almost constant 4-7 mph breeze from the Gulf Stream often doesn't feel that hot outdoors (A/C however indoors is a must in most cases). ZERO winters (literally no snow recorded for the county that I see). Supposedly the average annual high is only 92F (this is supposed to be the hottest week of the year this past week, and our max was 92F one day)

-Affordability: Value is all over the place, there's literally multimillion dollar mansions to properties under $150k without leaving Merritt Island, even gorgeous canalfront properties like what I'm currently renting regularly sell around $300k. If you're willing to go off the island you can get enormous places in Palm Bay for example for under $200k with a pool. If you like being near water at all however, it's the most affordable community I've ever seen without making some large sacrifices.

-Culture and Cuisine: Well on Culture, we've got Ron Jon and Cocoa Beach as one aspect of culture - all the space program stuff here - and of course more mainstream "culture" aplenty if you hike 60-90 min away to Orlando. Cuisine is relatively hit or miss in the county itself, but again, Orlando and outlying areas to Orlando (60-90 min away) and you literally have anything you can dream of, for obvious reasons.

-Convenience: Traffic - Very light, goes for the entire county. Public transportation/walkability - not so great great for an area with this low of a population density though. (I'd compare it MD for both - while still rural) Crowded, not at all. Crime is below the national average, I think the lowest crime county in the entire state. Shopping is pretty amazing for such a small area, thanks to Cocoa Beach being next door we've got an amazing amount of shopping all within around 3 miles for quite a low population. (Besides Best Buy at least, only thing that involves a hike - that's about a 40 min trip to get to)

-Local Points of Interest:60-90 min from all the Orlando attractions (I don't need to go into it). Port Canaveral (scheduled to be the biggest cruise port in the US by 2020). Lots of springs/natural hiking trails (esp bird watching ones) nearby. Literally ON water to the point where I'd estimate 20-30% of the local population own a boat of some size. Literally can fish from quite a few homes - depending on where on the island even have manatees that will sun in the canal. [Ours is one such during the winter]

ZERO mountains (its Florida after all).

-Nearby Points of Interest: Already covered most of the 60-90 range since Orlando is so ubiquitous. Keys are around a 4 hr drive or so and seem like they'd be awesome (not visited yet).

And to just reinforce an aspect you seem to have heavily implied - due to the combination of a number of factors:
1) Affordability
2) Wonderful area with plentiful opportunities for entertainment of various sorts
3) ZERO state income tax
4) A very lenient homestead exemption on property tax
5) A generally tech/engineer heavy population due to NASA, the Air Force, and aeronautics industry being so large here.

There is a really booming population of "nerd culture" here that has really been pretty amazing - there's other groups like retirees and such too - but tons of work at home tech types have flocked here because of so many things that appeal to nerd culture.

[And while I do have a bias towards Merritt Island specifically, North Melbourne/Viera/PSJ is quite nice as well - slightly more affordable even I think, further from water though [like 20 min away] but would also have you within 35-40 min of Orlando, etc]

A possible negative to the county, and ESPECIALLY to Merritt Island however, is if you like a diverse mix of racial groups - Merritt Island itself is incredibly white, something like 97-98% with the county being in the upper 80% range.
Please don't recommend Florida to people. I know there are enough of us on this board to say that you should NEVER live here. Too much fucked up shit in this state. Awesome place to visit/vacation, but don't live here. The only positives is that real estate is dirt cheap across the state with obvious exceptions of say Miami, and no state income tax. However the people are generally horrendous (albeit the diversity is nice), and you have a shit ton of northeast transplants.

The fact that this subreddit is as popular as it is shows you just how much dumb shit happens in Florida:Florida Man!

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I kind of agree about California beaches. The Pacific is just too fucking cold for me to give a shit about it. That's why when I leave CA I'll be heading to the Florida gulf coast. It's redneck as hell, but then I also lived in Kentucky for a decade. But the water on the gulf is amazing.

You're the second person recently to mention SLO. How similar is the weather to San Diego?
SLO is pretty amazing. I remember when I went to basic training, one of the guys in the bunk next to me was from there and always talked about how awesome it was. Last year the wife and I finally got to visit it (12 years after basic training) on a drive up the PCH. That area is just gorgeous. I know it's up the road a few hours, but Pebble Beach is honestly the favorite place I've ever been to ever (just edging out Aruba and USVI).

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I spent 20+ years living in San Diego, CA and I would recommend it. The place we lived and enjoyed the most was San Marcos, CA it's in the northern county area of San Diego. Crime is low, weather is good. accessibility to the 15 or 5 freeway is equidistant pretty much. Just the community alone you can find whatever you need to shop for. The housing can range from $1M down to $300k or lower so you can find the area that suits you the best. Schools are not bad depending on the age of any kids you have. High school you get better choices the elementary schools aren't bad, the middle schools are a little terrible. Overall loved it.

Only moved to come over to Raleigh, NC area. We aren't directly in Raleigh, about an hour south, but the wife works there. We like this region of NC a lot so far which has only been about 6 months. Has everything we need without insane price markups like San Diego was just for being southern California. There are areas with crime for sure but I don't live or work or shop in those areas. So far pretty obvious where not to go. I am not sure about the schools, our kids start high school this fall so we will find out how good or bad they are. We get mixed reviews on the school we chose for them.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Gold Coast Australia. Warm winters. Not TOO hot summers (still hot at points) about 20 different beaches all along its coast. 20 minutes inland and you are into the hinterland with acreage properties. 80 dollars flights to Sydney if you want to see Australia's main city. 1hour traffic free drive to a bigger city in Brisbane but Gold Coast is a city itself. Theme Parks for kids. Probably the hottest women per dude in Australia. Gold Coast is one of the best places to live in the world hands down.
All my Australia job options will lead me to Sydney, it seems. I've heard a lot of good things about Australia in general- other than crocs, sharks, snakes, and spiders.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Oh I was offered SLO over NC and chose NC because of cost of living. The other issue is from the few times I have been to SLO and heard about it the area is just a little too close to PNW weather just gloomy and cold and rainy and I am not about that. We get rain over here throughout the year and we get snow (a little) in the winter but overall I feel the weather is just pretty medium.