Better Call Saul

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Well right after he hangs up with "Don Juan" (the bald mexican boss) Gus said something like "I just spoke to the man responsible for the attack", and he explains to Mike that "he was trying to protect his business by protecting our business". So, maybe the cartel doesn't want Lalo out of prison and since he doesn't know Lalo in prison is still causing trouble to Gus business, and doesn't know either that Gus orchestrated Lalo's bail, maybe $7m is just too much for one guy at some point? During the episode, they're also explaining the DA's office never really expected the bail got paid, and $7m is gonna raise a lot of attention.

There's also something Gus said in another episode, like everything's happening to Lalo in this site of the border is his responsibility. Maybe the cartel thought "oh well he got caught, let's move on". But on the other hand, it's quite clear that while Gus business wise is "with the cartel", the Salacamancas are "in the cartel". Gus is a huge silent, trouble free money maker, while the Salamancas are causing a lot of trouble. Maybe we'll get a more solid explanation in the finale. And let's not forget Lalo initially going back to Mexico brought a lot of joy and relief to someone:

View attachment 262904
yeah, seems Lalo and the Salamancas are loose cannons and the cartel guys preferred the Gus way of keeping shit on the downlow. i guess Lalo is gonna choke some bitches now and put crazy Tuco in charge of it all. which means i guess next season we get Lalo and Tuco together.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Can you actually walk into a bond office with 7 million dollars of unlaundered drug money and pay bail with it?

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Can you actually walk into a bond office with 7 million dollars of unlaundered drug money and pay bail with it?

Only if you want to live in some IRS office for the next years of your like and being RICO'd as fuck. They make it obvious the $7m bail wasn't really supposed to be paid. Call it a judge oversight.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
its a fake ID anyway, there really isnt much they can do once he was released. it was on them for not getting his real ID. but even then. yeah and? he is a citizen of mexico, you cant really audit foreigner's taxes.

Caliane

"the only thing that kept me going, was knowing you were here."
flashforwards to cinnabon Gene... I'm pretty sure that was forshadowing Kim is alive in the "present". So, I'm even more on board with her having to go into criminal witsec, being Jimmys first dealings with those guys.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1587135868963.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
"the only thing that kept me going, was knowing you were here."
flashforwards to cinnabon Gene... I'm pretty sure that was forshadowing Kim is alive in the "present". So, I'm even more on board with her having to go into criminal witsec, being Jimmys first dealings with those guys.
i came across a little fact the other week. its not a secret or a spoiler, just an odd coincidence. Gene works at a Cinabon in Nebraska, in Kim's flashback we find out she grew up in dun, dun dun. Nebraska! that gave me a little bit of hope she wont be bumped off.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Yeah, great season...I assume it will be 2 years before the next.

But great all around .

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah, great season...I assume it will be 2 years before the next.

But great all around .
yeah, looks like i'll have to rewatch this season again by the time we see a new season. it was a great season, this episode wasnt as intense as last week's , but still pretty cool. Mexcian Ninja is now the Mexican Terminator. they practically made this guy a video game character. not sure if thats a good thing. and yeah Nacho is fucked, but it also potentially puts the crosshairs back on Saul. i do have a criticism. if Kim is going full Saul now, then she gets burned hard or gets killed because of it. its going to pose a problem for the Saul character. is it logical for the guy who is a lifelong con man watch his wife get fucked over by that method and still want to do things the "slippin jimmy" way? i dunno, man if i lost the woman that i loved from a venture i concocted, i think i would be cutting that shit out from then on. but he clearly hasnt stopped. which suggests Kim gets out before shit gets real or she dies from other circumstance.

one last question. did anyone think Kim's interest in specific public defender cases have any influence on what she has planned for ruining Howard? or did her public defender plans get put on the back burner because he tried to "help" her out by bitching about Jimmy? cuz i still dunno why she only wanted certain PD cases. and i dont understand why she got super salty over Howard. the guy is a dick, but he's harmless.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
yeah, looks like i'll have to rewatch this season again by the time we see a new season. it was a great season, this episode wasnt as intense as last week's , but still pretty cool. Mexcian Ninja is now the Mexican Terminator. they practically made this guy a video game character. not sure if thats a good thing. and yeah Nacho is fucked, but it also potentially puts the crosshairs back on Saul. i do have a criticism. if Kim is going full Saul now, then she gets burned hard or gets killed because of it. its going to pose a problem for the Saul character. is it logical for the guy who is a lifelong con man watch his wife get fucked over by that method and still want to do things the "slippin jimmy" way? i dunno, man if i lost the woman that i loved from a venture i concocted, i think i would be cutting that shit out from then on. but he clearly hasnt stopped. which suggests Kim gets out before shit gets real or she dies from other circumstance.

one last question. did anyone think Kim's interest in specific public defender cases have any influence on what she has planned for ruining Howard? or did her public defender plans get put on the back burner because he tried to "help" her out by bitching about Jimmy? cuz i still dunno why she only wanted certain PD cases. and i dont understand why she got super salty over Howard. the guy is a dick, but he's harmless.

I think it's clear she wanted the hard cases because she wanted to do more meaningful work. I don't think there's anything deeper there but you never know.

As for dislike of Howard, I don't think it's just about him but what he represents (much like Jimmy's reaction). Jimmy was looked down upon by these guys and never got respect and Kim sees him as the embodiment of greed and disregard of doing a greater good with the law. He's like another Mesa Verde. But yeah, he's really not such a bad guy -- Chuck was always the greater dick at HHM when it came to Jimmy's life and Howard even helped Kim out in the beginning, I thought.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Howard is just a test. Kim wants to see how far Jimmy is willing to go to see if she is going to stay with him or not. Kim doesn't give a fuck about Howard, she just wants to know whether she married an absolute scumbag or not.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Howard is just a test. Kim wants to see how far Jimmy is willing to go to see if she is going to stay with him or not. Kim doesn't give a fuck about Howard, she just wants to know whether she married an absolute scumbag or not.

She knows. That's why she quit and is doing all that free work.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Saul is a lot like Walt. Walt did completely horrible things, but he would feel bad about it afterward. but walt and jimmy would also continue doing horrible things. which means both are truely horrible people. Walt was just a monster on a much grander scale. personally, i dont think this is a test. i think she knows how much of a scumbag Jimmy is. maybe's she's just trying to ruin howard because of sandpiper and getting a big score. killing two birds with one stone. its interesting that we hadnt heard about Sandpiper for a while and then all of a sudden it comes right back. then of course we still have Cinnabon Jimmy to settle. he said he was going to take care of those guys who know his identity on his own. we gonna get resolution on both these things next season? seems like we still have a ways to go. not sure why next season has to be the last.

spronk

FPS noob
I can't read Kim at all so I'm probably wildly wrong but Kim reminded me more of Walt than Saul. She wants certain things and doesn't really care about who she hurts to get them, but also simultaneously concocts wild and elaborate internal justifications as to why what she does is ok. "if I save a bunch of poor people from the judicial system, its ok for me to fuck over Howard".

Saul reminds me more of Jesse, the guy who knows what he is doing is wrong but does it anyway. He also is struggling mightily with cutting ties with what he sees as the "good" people in his life to avoid blowback on them, just like Jessie. I guess they both have a bit of Walt and Jessie in them.

Great season, episode 9 was definitely the crux of the season but the thing I loved about the whole season is how almost every moment of every episode was logically constructed from the basic question of "what will this character do next based on everything we know about them". Contrast that with Westworld, where every scene is basically just "ok here's a cool idea who gives a fuck if it contradicts character progression".

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Div

Silver Knight of the Realm
Well I was certainly hoping for some other then a cliffhanger. I find it extremely annoying when shows do this as a way to get you to come back next season. Its weak.

Regardless though, this was probably my favorite season, and next season is the last so can't wait.