Better Call Saul

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Probably because everyone else involved with the Fring cartel and the Heisenberg empire is pretty much dead, so the feds / DEA would look to pin their failures on someone and Saul knows it'd be him. However careful he was, people like Huell, Francesa, Skinny Pete, Badger and Bill Burr would cut deals and blame him for everything so he'd be looking at a long time in the slammer since there is likely evidence directly tying him financially to Walter White / Jesse and RICO laws would apply.

speaking of which Skinny Pete made a minor cameo too as one of Kim's nervous clients, that was cool

What? Everyone being dead means case closed, not that they have to arrest someone for the crimes a bunch of dead people commited. If that were true, then Skyler would be a far better target than Saul, anyways.

They also showed him always taking measures to prevent anything from coming back on him. It made sense at the time when everything was very volatile, but not so much anymore.

None of the people you mentioned would be able to connect him to more than the petty crimes they were involved in, which is no different than at any point of Saul's existence

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
People are actually going to watch any of those? Really?

internet seriously GIF
i plan on watching She-Hulk. not the whole thing, but the first episode to see what its like. they shitted up actual Hulk so I'm curious where they go with this.
i am also interested to see if that indian woman is really as fat as she looks. that Titania press photo is mind boggling.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
in certain angles you can see how much older Odenkirk is than Kim and it makes it kind of hard to believe that she would be head over heels for this 60 year old man. she's no spring chicken either, but she looks good for her age.
They're only 9 years apart. Bob looks fine with the makeup. It's that Rhea looks pretty amazing for 50, even accounting for the makeup.

Also, the show makes it obvious it's more than just a physical attraction that pulls her in.

DickTrickle

What? Everyone being dead means case closed, not that they have to arrest someone for the crimes a bunch of dead people commited. If that were true, then Skyler would be a far better target than Saul, anyways.

They also showed him always taking measures to prevent anything from coming back on him. It made sense at the time when everything was very volatile, but not so much anymore.

None of the people you mentioned would be able to connect him to more than the petty crimes they were involved in, which is no different than at any point of Saul's existence
I don't know that there's any smoking gun in BB but he knows how many illegal things he did over the years and probably just fears that something, somewhere along the line would come out. Everyone related to Walter White probably got a deep look.

That American Greed mockumentary they did about him before the season makes it pretty clear that he is suspected of criminal activity by law enforcement.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I don't know that there's any smoking gun in BB but he knows how many illegal things he did over the years and probably just fears that something, somewhere along the line would come out. Everyone related to Walter White probably got a deep look.

That American Greed mockumentary they did about him before the season makes it pretty clear that he is suspected of criminal activity by law enforcement.

For most people that's definitely a valid reason, doesn't really seem like it fits Saul's character though. Even before BB there's a hundred things he could go down for at any time if they come out.

Though maybe the mockumentary explains it better, I haven't seen it and didn't even know it existed

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
For most people that's definitely a valid reason, doesn't really seem like it fits Saul's character though. Even before BB there's a hundred things he could go down for at any time if they come out.

Though maybe the mockumentary explains it better, I haven't seen it and didn't even know it existed
that fake doc mostly insinuated guilt due to Saul's shady associates such as Walter White and other criminals and his "unorthodox" tactics. it didnt list anything specific, for good reason because it would have spoiled the season. if they really crawled up Saul's ass they could find probably something but not much concrete since he used burner phones and didnt leave much of a paper trail. his associates are all mostly dead too. i guess the big something would be how involved was he with WW and his connections to organized crime. he was basically like John Gotti's lawyer. Bruce Cutler. who kept getting Gotti off and so the feds went after the lawyer to get him out of the picture and then they were able to nail Gotti.

Formerly a Brooklyn Assistant District Attorney, Cutler gained notoriety in the 1980s when he won three acquittals for Gambino Crime Family boss John Gotti (including one where at least one juror accepted a bribe in return for voting to find Gotti not guilty).[3]

When Gotti was indicted in 1990 for the 1985 murder of Paul Castellano and several other crimes, presiding judge I. Leo Glasser disqualified Cutler and two associates from representing Gotti. Citing evidence from wiretaps at Gotti's Ravenite club, prosecutors contended that Cutler and his colleagues may have known about criminal activity. Since the attorney–client privilege does not apply in these circumstances, prosecutors argued that Cutler was "part of the evidence" and thus liable to be called as a witness. They also argued that Cutler had represented other potential witnesses and thus had a conflict of interest. Glasser sided with the prosecutors, contending that Cutler was the "in-house counsel" for the Gambino family.[4][5]

spronk

FPS noob

There was a LOT more than petty crimes that Saul was involved with. He was directly involved with the whole scheme Skyler and Walt did to buy the car wash including the fake toxic water stuff that Bill Burr did, thats state and federal crime there. He laundered millions of dollars for Walt and Jesse and that had to go through legit businesses (like the nail salon, which Saul has to own a few of) and since the source money was meth drug money it all gets tied together with RICO and fruit of the poisoned seed. Now you have state, fed, AND taxes involved. The feds do not need to prove the money was drug money, they just need to say you can't trace the money to a legit source and of course all the owners of those businesses would immediately confess to Saul bringing in bags of cash every week.

Don't forget either the call into Hank that made him think Maria was in the hospital came from Francesca, and she was involved with a ton of shady shit with Saul. If she flips, and of course she fucking will, she has a lot of dirt on Saul. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some of that in this weeks episode, like her taking home evidence or taping stuff.

RICO charges do not require active participation in a criminal conspiracy, only being part of it with knowledge. As Chuck said attorney/client privilege is gone the second the govt proves the lawyer knowingly participated in criminal activities. Nixon's DA spent 2 years in jail just because he knew a little about Watergate and didn't warn authorities, he didn't actively participate. This isn't even going into any of the cartel stuff, the stuff with Lydia, the white power prison gang, just on and on where Saul had light touches but touched in some way or another almost every big criminal enterprise in ABQ. and yeah, all of them died which is great for him, but being literally the only person still alive means he is the biggest target for prosecution now too.

I mean history is full of district attorneys who got fast tracked into politics because they got a headline big deal case that made them famous (our current Vice President), every DA in New Mexico would be salivating at the chance to prosecute Saul Goodman. Its OJ or Johnny Depp levels of trial fame, especially when news casters directly tie Saul to Heisenberg, Walter White, Gus Fring, Los Pollos Hermanos, and the mexican drug cartels. People wildly misunderestimate how much real power the feds have not in prosecuting cases but how they can take away all your money by simply insinuating you can't prove it was legit money. Asset forfeiture is something that would make our founding fathers flip out.

the fake documentary

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Only BCS/Breaking bad have the guts and earned ability to have an episode like we just had. Slow slow character and story telling. They spent the entire hour on an episode where nothing really happens. Wasn’t my favorite but feels like with only 2 ep left, I’m happy to have Vince tell the story.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Only BCS/Breaking bad have the guts and earned ability to have an episode like we just had. Slow slow character and story telling. They spent the entire hour on an episode where nothing really happens. Wasn’t my favorite but feels like with only 2 ep left, I’m happy to have Vince tell the story.

DickTrickle

For those who might be unaware, the Jeff character was the guy who realized Gene was Saul at the mall in a previous season. Unfortunately, the original actor had a scheduling conflict so they had to recast Jeff.

• 1Like

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
I really enjoyed this episode. Oceans 11 type deal. Plus it was nice to see the future stories.

A few things of note:

KC Royals lunch box?!! Represent!

As someone who closed up a store in a mall many years ago, the patterns and quietness seems awfully familiar.

spronk

FPS noob
I thought it was fine but its a bit bizarre how it ended. Those two guys have got a "taste" for the criminal lifestyle now and are gonna do another job on their own, aren't they? And they are definitely gonna get caught. Maybe not their first or second trial, but at some point in the system or even jail one of them will slip that they know where Saul Goodman is. One person can keep a secret, two people maybe, once three people know something its just information, not a secret. Saul should know that by now.

Seems just silly on Saul's part to let it go like that and think he can keep going as Gene, but I guess if the next episode he packs it up and has moved on looking for Kim it would make more sense.

Also the difference between a show that has earned some leeway and those that haven't. I didn't love the episode but two insanely amazing episodes, back to back, have built up a lot of goodwill so its fine, and it does resolve pretty much all the outstanding plotlines - the cabby blackmail story is over, Gene's existence should really be over, we know the rough time now (its a year or so after BB based on the football names and scores dropped).

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I thought it was fine but its a bit bizarre how it ended. Those two guys have got a "taste" for the criminal lifestyle now and are gonna do another job on their own, aren't they? And they are definitely gonna get caught. Maybe not their first or second trial, but at some point in the system or even jail one of them will slip that they know where Saul Goodman is. One person can keep a secret, two people maybe, once three people know something its just information, not a secret. Saul should know that by now.

Seems just silly on Saul's part to let it go like that and think he can keep going as Gene, but I guess if the next episode he packs it up and has moved on looking for Kim it would make more sense.

Also the difference between a show that has earned some leeway and those that haven't. I didn't love the episode but two insanely amazing episodes, back to back, have built up a lot of goodwill so its fine, and it does resolve pretty much all the outstanding plotlines - the cabby blackmail story is over, Gene's existence should really be over, we know the rough time now (its a year or so after BB based on the football names and scores dropped).
seems more than a year or two after BB given how old saul is, he is basically bald lol.

DickTrickle

Stress will do that. They gave you the date based on the newspaper article and the football discussion, and I believe that is only one or two years after BB.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
seems more than a year or two after BB given how old saul is, he is basically bald lol.
he's basically been bald since bb, in that eps when kim leaves and he's getting up in his mansion as saul w/ the hooker he does a comb over

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
According to YouTube guy, this latest episode takes place about a month after WW dies at the end of BB.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Haven't watched the video, but that seems like a ridiculously short timeframe. That'd basically mean Saul got moved, immediately had a heart attack, and then started scheming again? Literally no time laying low?

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users