Better Call Saul

spronk

FPS noob
interesting thing about kim i saw mentioned online was how in the last 2 episodes she refused to make any decisions, she would just mumble something out if anyone asked her anything, miracle whip or mayo; outback or chilis; did you like the food at this restaurant; is this design good or not? she was so traumatized by howards death that she is afraid any decision she makes will hurt someone else. She finally makes a decision to turn herself in.

realistically saul's life would be pretty shit in prison, at first glance yeah he has a LOT of street cred and is a celeb like OJ was in prison but he would likely get taken by some sort of drug lord or crime boss and used for prison/legal shenanigans inside. The prison he was sent to was basically ADX Florence which is where people like Unabomber, El Chapo, ISIS terrorists, etc were sent to.

Here's Sammy The Bull Gravano talking about him serving years at the supermax. Many people who spent years there said they would have chosen the death penalty over serving time at the ADX.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
long "is there really a point to this" scenes that was a massive writers flex,

it's the fucking cinematography you absolute sad excuse for a clown. The fucking director of photography in conjunction with Gilligan/Gould set the visual tone for the series. The long scenes and the montages are there for a reason, they're a form of storytelling in themselves. So yes, the writers may have some input but they're not acting independently of the DOP

Kiki

Log Wizard
Having them both get off without legal consequences would have really undermined their characters. Kim was burdened by guilt and any attempt to obfuscate the truth to avoid consequences would have made her confession entirely pointless and her contrition empty. Saul's weakness wasn't just about money, but about his inability to confront the truth and deal with being hurt. The end had him stop running away from that.

Sure, it just felt lame like it was following some "crime doesn't pay" trope. Some of the best movies are where the bad guys win.

Kiki

Log Wizard
Here's a better ending: He pulls the Saul Goodman in an epic courtroom battle and gets 7 years. Then he and Kim start running scams in prison for cigarette currency, some of the guards are in on it, etc. Fade out.

Or he should have taken the fall entirely and saved Kim from her civil suit somehow, sacrificing himself for the only love he's had in his life, still completing the redemption arc.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think this was more bittersweet than anything. Not even sure there's a great way to end the series.

I do think it was odd that Saul confessed to the Howard thing when Kim signed an affidavit. They were talking a civil suit, so it doesn't even matter. Hamlin's widow can sue her still, period. He should've taken his 7 years, because Kim was fucked either way.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
like was kim "dead inside" from the guilt? and just going with whatever was happening in fl, it was only 7 years, hell this white lady killed that black boy 70 years ago and shes still fine living it up to 88, you don't see her turning herself in

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
like was kim "dead inside" from the guilt? and just going with whatever was happening in fl, it was only 7 years, hell this white lady killed that black boy 70 years ago and shes still fine living it up to 88, you don't see her turning herself in
I think it was guilt as well as she just hated the mundane office life she was living. The episode that showed her at work with the stupid birthday parties and such was so relatable and cringe. She missed the excitement with Saul.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I think it was guilt as well as she just hated the mundane office life she was living. The episode that showed her at work with the stupid birthday parties and such was so relatable and cringe. She missed the excitement with Saul.
i viewed that as her atonement, shes has such guilt that she doesn't want to experience joy anymore and wants to be a drone

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Blue Bell is God damn delicious, that's why.

Although ironically maybe it does match with RL, a few years ago Blue Bell had to shut down because 3 people died from listeria poisoning, but blue bell is back this year and flying off the shelves because people are dumb.

Proof spronk spronk is a moron. Grats Gravel Gravel

1660685510912.png

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Fuck, I'm agreeing with Lanx. She was definitely punishing herself with her life in Florida and making sure that she was in no position to have a meaningful impact on anyone's life. She refused to make even the simplest of decisions or choices there. I don't think she misses the excitement of Saul; she saw the consequences of where it lead and even more so with what Saul became and I think she's trying to be as far away from that as possible.

That said, after the events of the last episode and her confession I think she will eventually get away from that life and go back into helping others full time, even if it's only as a paralegal.

Last edited:

Kiki

Log Wizard
Yeah her volunteering pretty well symbolized that stuff for me, she hated her normal life and her boring husband. Instead she should have started running prison drugs for the thrill imo.

• 1Worf

Jozu

This ending was kind of meh.

90 years in ADX Florence? lol.

Wut.

SO fucking dumb. Why? They had every opportunity for Saul to have some kind of positive outcome, but chose to go with a regerts and the United States Prison Complex instead.

• 1Garbage

Jozu

spronk doesnt hate on anybody and contributes, no need to be mad at him.

We are all a little retarded, especially me.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Episode was great, very fitting end. Was surprising but great to see Marie.

Yes he could have talked his way out of it, but then he would have learned nothing and people would be wanting more seasons.

spronk

FPS noob
This ending was kind of meh.

90 years in ADX Florence? lol.

Wut.

SO fucking dumb. Why? They had every opportunity for Saul to have some kind of positive outcome, but chose to go with a regerts and the United States Prison Complex instead.

Kim was his rosebud, and he valued her respect and fondness more than the rest of his life. Lets say you did something extremely bad, like a DUI where you destroyed another person's car, and only your wife knows because you tell her. Lets say she is a super religious/moral person and tells you to turn yourself into the cops and accept the consequences. If you do nothing, you get away scott free and nobody ever figures out its you.

What do you do?

Yeah, when you lay it out flat its incredibly stupid to throw away a 7 year sweetheart prison deal in exchange for Kim's "respect", especially since you will spend the rest of your life in prison (federal sentences do not have cut time for "good behavior") but also remember that Jimmy has nothing. No family left, no one who loves him, no kids, when he dies no one will remember him. He mentions that multiple times this season. For those of us with large families and wives its hard to really place yourself in his shoes, I can't imagine a life without a massive family.

Jimmy's entire speech at the trial did absolutely (legally) nothing for Kim, it was just to "prove" to Kim that he can come clean too like her. I guess maybe it shields her a little bit more from criminal lawsuits by saying he did everything but I think the DAs and stuff already knew Kim wasn't involved with Walter White. Cheryl can still proceed with a civil lawsuit but it would be fairly pointless since Florida shields your home and retirement investments and Kim can't be making much money at her job and wage garnishes cap out pretty low under $100k/yr.

Good legal thread by lawyers, prosecutors, etc on reddit laying out some of the more technical legal aspects of the finale
www.reddit.com/r/betterCallSaul/comments/wputuh/the_finale_from_a_legal_perspective/

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I probably would have appreciated this more if I'd watched Breaking Bad. Did saul have a big part in it? i always thought he was a supporting character.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I think this was more bittersweet than anything. Not even sure there's a great way to end the series.

I do think it was odd that Saul confessed to the Howard thing when Kim signed an affidavit. They were talking a civil suit, so it doesn't even matter. Hamlin's widow can sue her still, period. He should've taken his 7 years, because Kim was fucked either way.

Which I don't fully understand. Someone from the mexican cartel breaks into your apartment and murders someone, then ties your husband up and and threatens to kill you if you don't do what he says. Not really sure where her liability would be.

Even the scams they did. Not sure if any of them are even technically criminal or can be said to reasonably lead to a cartel member murdering someone in your home.

Also not fully clear on the whole Marie thing. He was killed by the Neo-Nazis. Not sure what Saul's role in that was supposed to be, much less Marie looking at Saul like he's the one that pulled the trigger.

Otherwise was probably the best way to wrap it up. Having him do some legal shenanigans to get out of it doesn't really "end" the story, because you know he'd still be out there doing crazy illegal/legal shit

Last edited:

Dalien

Registered Hodor
I probably would have appreciated this more if I'd watched Breaking Bad. Did saul have a big part in it? i always thought he was a supporting character.

He doesn't show up until the middle of Season 2, but he's definitely a big part of the show for the last 3 seasons. If you liked Better Call Saul you'll like Breaking Bad, they are the same kind of show and you'll see a lot of familiar characters.

• 1Solidarity