Bicycling

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Rode Santos Vortex in FL today, amazing place, rented a bike, met some cool people and hit all the stuff I could in 6 hours.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
New stem and bars, shorter stem, wider bars, same rise. Feels good.

IMG_1624.JPG

IMG_1625.JPG

IMG_1626.JPG

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
After not riding a bike for 20 years I picked up a mid-low end giant commuter hybrid off craigslist for cheap to commute to work. Easy ride even for me at 9 miles per day round trip. Didn't listen to one of the other bike commuters at work about proper cold weather gear and almost got frostbit fingertips this morning. Just ordered mitts, liners and base layers to save myself some pain for when it really starts tobget cold.

Might get a mtb and find some local trails next year if I keep using this one daily. The commute to work is 95% paved bike path.

20171109_132319.jpg

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

sukik

The coldest I'll have to deal with is probably a few days in the 15-20f. Most winter days are going to be within 5 degrees of 32f. It was 29 this morning and I had no problems except that my gloves weren't up to par. Not specifically biking gear, but I ordered some waterproof carhartt mittens and some running gloves as liners. I needed some gloves for jogging and I can get some other uses out of the mittens so its all multi-use. Leather hiking boots, wool socks under cotton socks, beanie, scarf and cloth layering for the rest. Balaclava and ski goggles for the coldest days. I won't win any biking fashion contests but I should stay warm.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hatorade

A nice asshole.

Put the go pro on my daughter, took a couple hours but she got her confidence and we hit some fun stuff, skip to 3:22 after the 4X speed starts for the fun stuff.

• 2Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Building my skills! Going to Angel Fire, NM early June. Anyone been there before? Any advice is welcome.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Well, it happened... somebody stole my road bike and my wife's mountain bike. Time to contact our insurance company and see if it's covered. It's odd, they had to go through the service door, open the garage door, walk in through the main garage door between the cars, go past the 4 hanging kids bikes, past the fat-bike and my mountain bike in order to take the road bike and mountain bike.

• 1Solidarity

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Well, it happened... somebody stole my road bike and my wife's mountain bike. Time to contact our insurance company and see if it's covered. It's odd, they had to go through the service door, open the garage door, walk in through the main garage door between the cars, go past the 4 hanging kids bikes, past the fat-bike and my mountain bike in order to take the road bike and mountain bike.

That sucks man, after some one took off with my daughters bike I now also lock them up at home too.

sukik

That sucks. Everyone at work who bike commutes has had a bike stolen. I noticed some clacking on my bike on the commute home today and found a few spokes popped out at the base so I'm gonna try to get it into the shop this week. I figure I've put at least 1050 commute miles on it since i got it off craigslist last fall.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Ao- Ao- sorry to hear that. Happens eventually, especially with roadbikes, they really need dirt grime and scratch camoflage or they are helpless shiny beacons of *steal me*.

Do not feel bad, how long did you have this bike?

Record for me was 2 days. Brand new bike, nice alum frame! Got it on a Saturday, weeeee Sunday go out for a ride, pop in to store to get some juice & lock it up @ post outside come back out shortly after and ...... poof! Not a sign of it! F*ck they were FAST....the smell of the bike was still in my nostrils. Biggest /facepalm shock ever. Since then upgraded my lock & never ever ever leave it unlocked, and never stop and lock the road bike anywhere out unless I can see it. Lived downtown Lyon at the time though which did not help I suppose. Honestly I figure it was the French cycling gods were angry Lemond won the TDF and I had gotten a Trek! Monday I got the trusty Peugot that has been with me forever now.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
5 years. Having to deal with insurance is shit, as they are going to go off of the deprecated value of the bike, not actual replacement cost. Also stole ~900 worth of extras. I had just loaded up all my touring stuff to get a feel for it.

Any suggestions for a cruiser for gravel/road/fire-road bike? Was looking at the midnight special or gorilla monsoon, 650b on a road bike feels weird, but I'll take any advice. Looked at a niner RLT but it's... to aggressive for a stance?

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Tour of California is back! Awesome watching those guys race on my local roads today. Gibraltar tomorrow, I will use the playback as my recon for when I go for it in the fall.

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Headed to Angel Fire, NM in a week for a 3 day ride. Super excited for my first DH park.

Also looking into DJs after hanging with these guys: and realizing how much easier it is to jump and pump on a DJ vs full suspension.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Whoever coined a phrase "like riding a bike you never forget" lied. Well to a point. Rode the bike for the first time in two years. May have to really downgrade to a grandma ish bike with a kickstand. Riding is no big deal but lack the flexibility side to side in legs lol. Getting on and off is pretty tricky now. Rode 3 miles today which was a pretty good workout considering I couldn't walk a few months ago.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Any multitool suggestions? I have a topeak that is 15 years old and I broke a tier lever, just wore out from heat eventually I think. Anyway, what is new out there? I don't need a chain tool as I have a separate one just hex bits, torx bit and screwdrivers and tire levers. Just go back to same topeak maybe.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
I have a Crank Brothers 17 function in my CamelBak for mountain biking and its got everything i've ever needed. You could go with the 10 function model since you don't need the chain breaker. For my road riding, which is 95% of the time now, I just carry 2 allen wrenches, 2 tire levers, 2 Co2, and thats pretty much it.

• 1Like