Bicycling

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
TdF in full swing now. Got my team going out for a mini Mt. Baldy queen stage run tomorrow morning, very hyped. @Tobin i'm about 5 minutes away of convincing that I need to upgrade to carbon wheels...thinking the zipp 303 or roval clx 50. for descending specifically, how is the braking (noise/reliability/modulation). Any info is appreciated, from everyone who runs carbon.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
btw that Nairo advantage i spouted is gone now since Valverde broke his leg. Froome has to be the favorite at this point

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
TdF in full swing now. Got my team going out for a mini Mt. Baldy queen stage run tomorrow morning, very hyped. @Tobin i'm about 5 minutes away of convincing that I need to upgrade to carbon wheels...thinking the zipp 303 or roval clx 50. for descending specifically, how is the braking (noise/reliability/modulation). Any info is appreciated, from everyone who runs carbon.
HED for life. Also I get a discount on them. Not that I'd ever actually be able to use that discount.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Not best idea in 95+ degree heat but did a 33 mile trail ride, the group IMO stopped too much and we had a few flat tires/issues with group splitting here and there but overall was awesome. I am fucking hooked on trail riding, it is almost literally all I think about now.

• 1Like

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
help me pick a new mountain bike. I have a Specialized thats about 15 years old.

Based on what I've read, I think a hard tail and 27.5 is what I should get. There's a ton of trails in central Texas, but every downhill has an uphill. That and I do more paved riding now than trails.

Im unsure of brand and if I should hey disk breaks. I rather not spend a fuckton on a bike, but also dont want to work on it. My specialized had 1000s of miles and I've only replaced wheels and break pads.

I see Amazon has Diamond back and other brands I remember from 30 years ago in my bmx days. Are any online brands worth buying or should I only purchase from a local shop?

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
help me pick a new mountain bike. I have a Specialized thats about 15 years old.

Based on what I've read, I think a hard tail and 27.5 is what I should get. There's a ton of trails in central Texas, but every downhill has an uphill. That and I do more paved riding now than trails.

Im unsure of brand and if I should hey disk breaks. I rather not spend a fuckton on a bike, but also dont want to work on it. My specialized had 1000s of miles and I've only replaced wheels and break pads.

I see Amazon has Diamond back and other brands I remember from 30 years ago in my bmx days. Are any online brands worth buying or should I only purchase from a local shop?
Hardtail 27.5 would be good, could even go plus if you want. Lighter bike would be better for climbing, and anything will roll on paved (though, you might want skinnier tires with not-as-many-knobs).
You want disk breaks, end of story. Steel is usually cheaper than aluminum and carbon, etc.
Don't buy online, buy from a shop. You'll get service and they can help fit you (and everyone should get fit for their bike).
Some online brands are good (and of those, some of the brands only have some models being worthwhile). Just be honest with the shop on your price-range and what you plan on doing, and if they give you the high-pressure sales shit or slide you into a 'better model', then just leave. There are other shops that won't do that.

• 1Like

nazon

Molten Core Raider
Here's my road bike.
2015 Specialized Tarmac Comp.
Specialized Toupe Expert Gel Saddle
K-Edge Pro Chain Catcher
Shimano Ultegra PD-6800 Pedals
Elite Custom Race Bottle Cages

I ordered it on slightly used on eBay from Bicycle Blue Book and saved a ton. I mostly ride on A1A in South Florida 30-50 miles Pompano > Boca Raton > Del Ray> Boyton and back. It's very flat. Wish there were more climbs.

tarmac_comp_small.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
You want disk breaks, end of story.
Oh? Curious why.

I ride an old alum Peugot road bike from 90s, any reason to change brakes instead of just my pads next visit to shop? Wondering if this might be good excuse to upgrade to new bike heh.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Oh? Curious why.

I ride an old alum Peugot road bike from 90s, any reason to change brakes instead of just my pads next visit to shop? Wondering if this might be good excuse to upgrade to new bike heh.
The braking power is completely different. It's an entirely new feeling. That being said, older bikes won't have mounts (they're frame/fork mounts with rotors on the hubs).
New bike might be legit for it, but I wouldn't recommend getting a new bike just because of disc breaks.

• 1Like

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
We have a 2k reply thread on bicycling? Man you guys are faggots. Let's get a golf/tennis/soccer thread going. Kill this gay world all in one spin.

• 1Picard

Caliane

you guys are crazy.

30mile ride today. Coventry (RI) rail trail. 2h16min. exhausted from it. (cheap ass old, cruiser or hybrid. not sure which its considered.)

Last edited:
  • 1Like

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
picked up a giant talon 3. 27.5 hard tail Talon (2017) - Giant Bicycles | United States

First ride, paved trails and a bit of gravel, and around 11 miles in, my chain gets jammed next to the frame.

20170730_105630.jpg

i instantly regretted not getting a 2x9 instead of the 3x8. the 2x9 comes with a better shifter too i'm told.

didn't try to fix at all, just took it back to the shop. they had to take it apart, came back in a few hours and it was fixed. they told me to make sure i'm pushing all the way on the trigger when i change gears, and to hold it for a second before letting go of the trigger. i never had to do this on my old bike, don't really feel great about my purchased.

• 1Like

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
I didn't know they still put triple chain rings on bikes, the 2x front and the newer 1x front has been the standard for years.

• 1Like

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I didn't know they still put triple chain rings on bikes, the 2x front and the newer 1x front has been the standard for years.
Triples will be on lower end MTB build, the chain shouldn't be dropping off the front like that though, I'm willing to bet the limit screws aren't set right and the bike shop probably didn't do a proper check from the factory.

• 1Like

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
yeah. It happened again on my 2nd ride, so they swapped out the giant brand crank, inner gear, outer 3 ring assembly and chain, for shimano brand parts.
2 rides of about 17 miles each and no issues. I'll do 1 more street ride before I swap my clipless pedals and hit the trails.

Im still getting used to the feel of the handle bars. Gear toggles aren't in a comfortable position yet.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Yeah, I've heard it's pretty awesome down there. I'm thinking I'm gonna get a new MTB soon and then I'll take a trip down there.