Bicycling

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
Shifting on my ti hardtail has been gummy for a bit, so went looking at what new kits Jagwire offers. They have some nice new options, but before ordering another set I thought to do a quick search on Ebay. Glad I did, because I found some NOS GORE cable sets. In the 90's and early 2000's, pre-Jagwire, these were the cable sets to ride. The kits are the shit, because they are 100% sealed, no dust/dirt/water gets in. They come with a XTR/DuraAce quality housing, plastic inner housing that is PTFE lined, then the cables themselves were wound in a PTFE bath. The inner housing runs the entire length, from shifter to derailleur, and they have 0 resistance when routed correctly. The company stopped making them back in 2011 out of nowhere, and I haven't seen them in any shop for forever. Grabbed all three black sets the seller had in stock.

I also found the old Park Tools install article in Calvin's Corner archives from 2009.

gorebox.jpg goreboxback.jpg goreinbox.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
Youtube channel I could watch for hours, super relaxing.

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
IMG_20200119_104356.jpg

I've been full spono'rd a zerode g1 frame and gearbox and HOPE wheels. Its 26" but will get all the up grades from my dh bike.. Also a medium which is too small be will feel like a bmx on the trails...

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Okay bike nerds, quick question

I'm riding in the Mid-South 100 gravel race in March and currently ride a Domane SL road bike with disc brakes - just got back from bike shop saying the biggest tire they'd recommend on that frame (2017) was 28, maybe 33 at a push and it is not really well suited to the application I need.

That said, would a cyclocross bike work for that? I assume the big difference between a cyclocross bike and "real" gravel bike is the frame geometry and comfort. Canyon has a nice looking bike linked here on sale for $1500 I'm thinking of buying as their gravel bikes aren't coming back in stock until a few weeks before the race - am I retarded for thinking this cyclocross bike would be fine for this (and I'll throw 40 tires on). Guess the cyclo bike will be quicker but less stable on the sketchy terrain?

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I ride an All City Cosmic Stallion (the original, so closer to the GRX than the Force 1, I think?), but I really like having 42s for the tire on loose gravel/dirt/shit pavement. I even ride it on some of the city "mountain" bike trails. I use to use a touring bike with the same geometry but only 33s, and the tire size is a world of difference. The Space Horse is the same geometry but a metal fork (rather than carbon).

Bunch of my friends went with the space horse for their gravel bikes, and one guy even put on anti-theft screw screw/etc, converted it to single speed, and it's his bar bike.

Links:
My bike but in NOLA Saints colors:

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Ended up just yolo'ing and bought a Lauf True Grit - great bike. Took it out for 20 miles yesterday on some country roads around town and had a blast. The fork in particular worked wonders on my hands/elbows and I can see the purpose of it on longer centuries and gnarly rocky gravel. Feel like I'll easily knock out the half century next month, but I'm amazed at how much more energy I expend off pavement vs my traditional road bike... the full 100 might be a stretch but we'll see.

1581971074463.png

1581971091538.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I'll be honest, I had no idea Lauf sold complete bikes... I've only known them for that fork. How stiff are you able to make the fork? That seems like it would be good for off-road (or even snow on a fatty).

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I'll be honest, I had no idea Lauf sold complete bikes... I've only known them for that fork. How stiff are you able to make the fork? That seems like it would be good for off-road (or even snow on a fatty).

you can remove or add more of the glass fibre boards to change stiffness. Definitely makes difference on longer 30 mile plus rides off pavement. Love this thing

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Glad to see a thread here. I've been riding again finally after being out of shape for almost 15 year. I'm two months in. It's neat how science-y this stuff has gotten. Everyone talking about how many watts they ride at! I bought an aluminum Trek Emonda to see if I would actually ride. Been doing 20-40 every 2-3 days. I began feeling frustrated because some days I just couldnt ride bc I would have my daughter, or have work at weird hours and I won't do a long ride without the sun out. So I found Zwift, which has been really fun so far, although I do sometimes think I want a more structured workout like TrainerRoad may offer.

I hated moving my bike from the trainer, etc. So.. I bought a used 2020 Trek Emonda SLR 9 eTap Disc from Pro's Closet. Holy shit this is a motherfucking bike. I think it was almost half price used. It rides amazing, it's so light, the eTap shifting is amazing.

I grew up as a runner, but I think I love biking so much more.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Any thoughts on eBikes? Are they a big waste of money? I ride mainly on a 20 mile paved bike trail loop which has a couple steep hills that I dread early on in the spring. Once my legs lose their winter rust they're not too bad but I've never done this loop in windy weather because the difficulty is multiplied many times over sometimes. Wondering if an eBike would let me go do this loop anytime and twice as fast so I can do more of them in a day.

Edit: I'm itching to buy this: https://www.costco.com/genze-sport-%26-recreational-electric-bike,-black.product.100424981.html

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
Any thoughts on eBikes? Are they a big waste of money? I ride mainly on a 20 mile paved bike trail loop which has a couple steep hills that I dread early on in the spring. Once my legs lose their winter rust they're not too bad but I've never done this loop in windy weather because the difficulty is multiplied many times over sometimes. Wondering if an eBike would let me go do this loop anytime and twice as fast so I can do more of them in a day.

Edit: I'm itching to buy this: https://www.costco.com/genze-sport-%26-recreational-electric-bike,-black.product.100424981.html
"Just my opinion "
That thing looks like rubbish dude. I think gravel bikes are dumb but they are heaps cooler than that.
Not really constructive so why not look at a giant, norco, merida or something that's much better designed.
Major problem with the Costco one is, the motor is in the rear hub. This makes the handling poor, slow to turn. Ang if you ever hit a jump (don't) .. Just look out!!! I sound very negative I know, its just that cheap shit bikes are bad for you

• 2Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I had a string of busy days where I couldn't ride in the day time (I won't do long rides at night) and bad weather, so for the last couple of weeks I had primarily been using my Zwift setup for riding. Then I took a five day vacation. Was DYING to get back on my brand new (used) bike and see how it rides. Yesterday was perfect weather, set out for a 30 miler but ended up going 62.5 miles (wanted to clear a metric century (100 km) which I think is like 62.1 miles or so). Legs were dead the last 10-15 miles, but finished well. Felt physically ill for an hour or two afterwards, headache last night, fine today except sore legs.

I wasn't fast, I think average speed around 15.8 mph which include stop signs, stopping to get out my energy gel, headwind, etc. But cycling is amazing because it took almost 4 hours, which is crazy that you can exercise that long. I truly truly love this sport.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>

Ebikes are fine, that thing is not. Get something decent if you're going to invest in an ebike.

I had a string of busy days where I couldn't ride in the day time (I won't do long rides at night) and bad weather, so for the last couple of weeks I had primarily been using my Zwift setup for riding. Then I took a five day vacation. Was DYING to get back on my brand new (used) bike and see how it rides. Yesterday was perfect weather, set out for a 30 miler but ended up going 62.5 miles (wanted to clear a metric century (100 km) which I think is like 62.1 miles or so). Legs were dead the last 10-15 miles, but finished well. Felt physically ill for an hour or two afterwards, headache last night, fine today except sore legs.

I wasn't fast, I think average speed around 15.8 mph which include stop signs, stopping to get out my energy gel, headwind, etc. But cycling is amazing because it took almost 4 hours, which is crazy that you can exercise that long. I truly truly love this sport.
Why won't you do long rides at night? My favorite rides start at 9pm in the summer. Daylight is fading, and I get to rip through the streets and paved trails all around city. Ride down to a friends house (15mi), meet up with a larger group and do ~22mi loop, ride to a bar for a few drinks normally outside (~3mi), ride home (15mi). It's an amazing time and takes ~5hrs or so, and there so much less traffic, both car and fellow trail-users.

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
The workshop and fleet, needs organized but thought I would share.

Hardtail - Salsa El Mariachi Ti, XTR kit, Magura MT Trail SL brakes, Enve/240s wheels, Thomson post/stem/Ti bar, RocketV-Ti seat, Chris King HS/BB, Fox 34 Factory FIT4 120mm fork.

Full Sus - Intense Spider 29 Alu, one of the last California welded frames. XT kit/brakes, WTB/Hope wheels, Thomson post/stem, Easton EC70 bar, RocketV-Ti seat, Hope HS/BB, RS SID RL 120 fork/Monarch RT3 DebonAir rear shock set to 120mm on frame.

Unused - Specialized Stumpy XC Pro, needs nearly everything to be rideable.
Unseen - Motobecane TeamFly29 Ti frame.

Bike specific drawer - ++ Park Tools ++

bike1.jpg

bike2.jpg

bike3.jpg

bike4.jpg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
Posted the video to FSR>Videos if you want sound also.

Scott XC MTB Team. Stylin > > > Ouch! > Michael Bay

giphy.gif

• 2Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
With all the corona stuff going on I've been fucking around in the garage with bikes more, riding more etc and decided to buy a MTB - bought a new YT Jeffsy base but ripped off all the drivetrain, took tubes out and replaced grips etc. Never really gotten into mtbing for whatever reason, always been a roadie, but I figure I'm about 3 hours from Bentonville and my brother lives outside of Denver so what the hell. Hit a small ST (4 miles) today after installing everything and it was a mud pit so turned around as to not feck up the trail or my face. Hopefully it dries out soon so I can practice before going to Arkansas in a month or so.

IMG_0034.jpg

• 1Like

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
Nice, always ride through a puddle and not around it on a wet trail. Riding around it wrecks the trail.
Is it new from a shop or new to you.. Second hand? I don't think any MTBs in AUS come with tubes anymore

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
I got a new (to me) bike too.
IMG_20200311_181051.jpg

2019 giant reign sx1. its a park bike that you can peddle.. 180mm travel up front and I used lots of it last Sunday. I'm slower on it than my 2010 reign 26" but I just need some time on it.

• 1Like