Tobin

N00b
New wheel day

swiss-cross-enve6.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tobin

N00b
Drove 300 miles to Mount Shasta for a wedding. Brought my bike. Rode as far up as the road would take me (max elevation ~8000ft) then attended the wedding a few hours later.

shasta-ride1.jpg

shasta-ride2.jpg
shasta-ride3.jpg

shasta-ride4.jpg

shasta-ride5.jpg

It was ~39F when I headed out at 7AM from 3000ft elevation. I didn't really think to bring arm/knee warmers or a cycling vest.

• 2Like

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
You roadys are crazy, I just can't peddle like that.... I like gravity to help me haha...

How much of the ride was on the gravel path? that would be hard work on the road bike...

Tobin

N00b
You roadys are crazy, I just can't peddle like that.... I like gravity to help me haha...

How much of the ride was on the gravel path? that would be hard work on the road bike...

I didn't ride any gravel really. Just the bit at the trailhead while taking pictures. If it was harder-packed stuff, I would have given the trail an attempt.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Ordered one of these today, just the Rival 22 carbon build. Backcountry is blowing the 2016s out for only 2450, so it was nigh impossible to pass up.

I'm not sure how to anodize it yet...

santa-cruz-stigmata-cx1-carbon-cxmagazine-img_8929-ayee-_1.jpg

• 2Like

Tobin

N00b
I fucking love the Stigmata and it was the 2nd bike on my list if I didn't get the Swiss Cross.

Here's me playing around with a GoPro Hero 5

kings-mountain-descent1.jpg

kings-mountain-descent2.jpg

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Not sure why this wasn't posted yet...

Fuck this is insane

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Rampage was pretty goddamn insane this year as well, and no one lost the ability to walk, which is always nice.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Did you watch or actually attend?

I didn't know that Rampage is actually on a ton of private land that Redbull owns. They setup all of the "tracks" and everything. I'm not even sure a regular old rider could go try and ride it.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I just watched the highlights online, there was an Oilers game that night, along with the Blue Jays. Priorities. I do know a couple guys that have been on dig teams in the past. One guy specifically is damn near a pro rider himself, and even he's like "no fucking way would I ever attempt that shit, I don't want to die."

• 2Like

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Doing the MS Bay to Bay this weekend, 100m Saturday and 50 Sunday from Irvine to San Diego. Fucking hyped, riding with a new team and its going to be awesome fall weather on the coast.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ordered one of these today, just the Rival 22 carbon build. Backcountry is blowing the 2016s out for only 2450, so it was nigh impossible to pass up.

I'm not sure how to anodize it yet...

That deserves more white highlights (is there ano white? :p) or more matte black as much as possible. Otherwise, red always pops nice with black IMO.

Tobin

N00b
I broke out the arm/leg warmers today because it was low 50s I'm a fucking pussy

ritchey-make-you-wanna.jpg

Last edited:

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
^^Lol, life must be rough.

I've got an obnoxious CX project in the works, sadly it will be done till like a week or two after world's so I won't get be able to break anything until next season.

Seventh

Golden Squire
I am dying for some snow up here, but I pretty much ensured a brown winter up here already - I bought a new AWD car, a new snowblower and a new snowboard.

We got fuck all for snow last year so I'm hoping we get bombed this season.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Not sure for you, but this year in MN it's supposed to be a wet snowy winter. And I'm all fucking for it. Gonna start riding some of the groomed fatbike trails soon, and I've got a nice group ride scheduled for Friday. 30 Miles of plowing through snow on the bike version of a monster truck.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
On Saturday I did a 22 mile group ride on the fatbike through slush, mud, and snow (and I probably walked the bike a good 2 miles total). It was the hardest ride of my entire life, and also probably one of the most fun and rewarding. I made a ton of mistakes and learned a bunch...

Lessons learned:
Don't pack extra (no bike lock, snow pants etc)
Don't start out warm
Do pack extra food/water (needed more food!)
Do layer clothes (and look for wool, holy shit I got damp/wet/moist)
Do learn more about tire pressure

I'm sure most people who bike in the winter know this, and I got a lot of advice, but I was fucking wrecked at the end. Mile 19 I got cramps in all 3 sets of vastus muscles in my quad (the entire front) at the same time. I brought enough water for me (and ended up sharing some with others) but didn't bring any food/energy with. I found some gatorade energy chews I had left over from summer marathon training and was ecstatic to have them.

On that note: Any winter bikers have recommendations for awesome boots? I'd prefer non-cycling-specific boots that can also work for cycling, but I might just buy a set of wolfgar from 45NRTH if they are that awesome.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
And not to double post but they are two unrelated posts... this video is insane. The Redbull series of races are obviously for adrenaline junkies, but this makes me want to head out to the woods and bikepack.