Bicycling

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Seventh

Golden Squire
On Saturday I did a 22 mile group ride on the fatbike through slush, mud, and snow (and I probably walked the bike a good 2 miles total). It was the hardest ride of my entire life, and also probably one of the most fun and rewarding. I made a ton of mistakes and learned a bunch...

Lessons learned:
Don't pack extra (no bike lock, snow pants etc)
Don't start out warm
Do pack extra food/water (needed more food!)
Do layer clothes (and look for wool, holy shit I got damp/wet/moist)
Do learn more about tire pressure

I'm sure most people who bike in the winter know this, and I got a lot of advice, but I was fucking wrecked at the end. Mile 19 I got cramps in all 3 sets of vastus muscles in my quad (the entire front) at the same time. I brought enough water for me (and ended up sharing some with others) but didn't bring any food/energy with. I found some gatorade energy chews I had left over from summer marathon training and was ecstatic to have them.

On that note: Any winter bikers have recommendations for awesome boots? I'd prefer non-cycling-specific boots that can also work for cycling, but I might just buy a set of wolfgar from 45NRTH if they are that awesome.

I fat bike a ton, and have done a few fat metrics in sub-30 temps. Layers are definitely your friend. If you cramp a lot, either bring something salty or give Sportlegs a shot.

As for boots, I use Lake 303s. They aren't cheap ($250-300) but they are fucking awesome. I've worn them on windy/snowing night rides with single digit temps and sub-zero wind chills and with a single pair of wool socks and a toe warmer my feet are gloriously comfortable. Anything above freezing it's just a single pair of socks. They are like baseball glove leather soft and have boa cinches, which are always awesome. Well worth the money:

Amazon.com | Lake MXZ 303 Winter Boots - Men's | Boots

I run them on flats and SPDs. There are no non-cycling-specific boots that are awesome for cycling and for walking around. You're going to have to make a sacrifice one way or the other. Nothing fucks up a ride more than cold/wet/sore feet or hands. Spending the money on good boots and gloves is always worth it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Ugh. I need a new pair of walking around boots but I want a pair of Lakes/Wolfgar/Wolvhammers.

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
Not me in the video, but this is what I did all weekend... first opening of a new trail in Bright, Australia

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Seventh

Golden Squire
I did a few things to my Stigmata.

TFU7I4w.jpg

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Alright, I'm "trying" to start backpacking... with the goal being a week long unsupported. Any tips or ideas? Just assume I have a crappy sleeping bag and 2person UL tent... what are the other recommendations? Bags/packing/pads/cooking/etc

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Looking into upgrading my wifes hybrid to an actual mountain bike that won't break the bank as in 500.00 or less, as I know literally almost nothing about bikes I am asking you all for advice. My wife is 5ft 6inch and isn't the best rider. I quote "standing up is scary while going downhill" (work in prgogress since I was the one that taught her how to ride a bike about 12 years ago) Full suspension would be the way to go? Can I even find a decent full suspension bike for under 500?

At minimum I am looking for front suspension, disc(non hydro) brakes, and shimano shifters that let you click up or down, I have popped into various retail stores and keep finding stuff like below in the 340.00 range but that felt fairly heavy even for a mountain bike. Point me to towards good brands/frames and I can go from there.
yLYatlN.jpg

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Nice Ao- Ao- that looks perfect, looking for retailers now.
Don't overlook the demo route on a local bike shop... and test ride the shit out of it.
I have no idea where you are located or what type of riding you'll be doing (enduro/all mountain/trails/commuting/etc), but full suspension is probably not necessary if she's still not up to standing while going downhill. That should bring a lot more bikes down into range.

Speaking of mountain bikes, anyone see the new salsa deadwood sus?
29+ full suspension, though the amount of travel seems really small.
Introducing Deadwood SUS | Salsa Cycles
DEADWOOD | Salsa Cycles

Looks like it is replacing the spearfish. I want a new mountain bike to do trail riding on, rather than taking my fattie around everywhere.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Cool, I am in Houston. Looks like Bicycle world is my best bet to get one of these, we will be hitting up the local state parks like: Huntsville State Park — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department there is some gnarly slopes filled with massive roots that have potential to really fuck up your day but beyond that it is mostly packed dirt with loose sand here and there. The plan is to get the family prepared for the intermidiate/advanced stuff by taking them through the orange trail as often as possible. http://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/park_maps/pwd_mp_p4505_044d.pdf

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
yeah, if she starts wanting more comfort riding look into a thudbuster or something: Seatposts

if that's a hiking trail that's also designed for biking, you'd be fine with a hard tail (or even fully rigid with fatter tires).

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Giant Talon 27.5 4 - The Hub Bike Co-op - Your Twin Cities Bike Shop 55406 612-729-0437

I don't mind the Giant's, and she might like the 27.5 size of tires. I wouldn't go full squish... hard tail will be better for riding.
You could look for last year's demo model and see if it's in good enough shape, that should save some cash.

Picked out this one for the wife in blue/orange, going to surprise her with it tomorrow. Found one for 510.00 which isn't the best deal but good enough. Thanks again.

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
She loved it so much she teared up a little, and as her first real new bike she fell in love instantly.

IMG_1059.JPG

• 1Like

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Awesome man, I'm glad she likes it. Before she goes head-over-heels on it thought... test ride - test ride - test ride. If this is gonna be a long term bike (and it should be!), it needs to fit properly and it needs to be comfortable.

Then slap on a light and ride that thing foooooreeeevvvvvvvveeeerrrr.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Awesome man, I'm glad she likes it. Before she goes head-over-heels on it thought... test ride - test ride - test ride. If this is gonna be a long term bike (and it should be!), it needs to fit properly and it needs to be comfortable.

Then slap on a light and ride that thing foooooreeeevvvvvvvveeeerrrr.

She gets saddle sore very easily and needs gel seat cover and likely going to get her some kind of seat suspension, but yeah she hit the trails with it on Sunday and was good times.

Last edited:

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
She gets saddle sore very easily and needs gel seat cover and likely going to get her some kind of seat suspension, but yeah she hit the trails with it on Sunday and was good times.
Chammy butter + padded shorts, and/or a thudbuster. If she's getting sores it might be that particular saddle and not the gel...
Hip Rotation

The gel just masks the problem, and longer riding will bring the sores back. Get a different saddle and get padded shorts (or bibs, or whatever).

apex

Golden Knight of the Realm
As Ao- said gel seats generally don't do shit for saddles sores. The shorts + chammy butter helps but I think the main thing is just getting the miles in.

Whenever I take a long break it takes me a bit for everything down there to get all callused up and used to the saddle again. Gotta ease back into it.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Yeah she has the shorts just needs to toughen the tenders.
Training on stationary bikes only goes so far as well, because you're not getting the bumps and bounces that help build the calluses.

Seriously though, get her a nice new saddle for that ride. Test ride the shit out of them. My normal shop has a bunch of demo saddles you can check out. I would suspect someone nearby has something similar.