Bicycling

Seventh

Golden Squire
I've got a fatbike for snow already (5" or death!), but I'll check the Sherpa out. One of the well-known local places sells Rocky Mountain, so maybe I can borrow a demo for a while.

I think they're about $3500 now, but I got mine for 2800 at the end of last season. I tossed a dropper on it and it's perfect (though I did throw an 11 speed drivetrain on there because Jenson had some crazy stupid deals over the winter on XT stuff. Shifter/Derailleur/chain/cassette for around $200).

It's been awesome. Nimble enough for gnarly stuff but just super duper comfortable anywhere. Plus the paintjob is straight up awesome, it looks like the Bandit Trans-Am. Oblig pic, of course:

JLWFxZz.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Seventh

Golden Squire
I ordered up a new toy. Should be here in a week or two. Who can guess what it is?

Hints:
- Will be green anodized shit everywhere on it
- My other bikes are a slacked out 160mm all mountain, an awesomely-comforable-but-slow 27.5+ trail couch, and a fatty.
- I needed something fast for XC races.
- Official bike of roadies with shit bike handling who try to sandbag lower brackets.

I picked it up today. Fast bike is fast.

2017-05-06 19.03.06 1509041493376198989_557750834.jpg

2017-05-06 19.02.50 1509041361599533155_557750834.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Took this pic, not 10 mins later I went straight over the bars, on a technical down and left. Disc brakes are no joke, going from pads to disc is a huge difference. Maiden voyage I should have gone easy.

trail.jpg

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
holy shit you're just now going to disc? Probably the biggest game changer of all time after adding suspension to bikes. Once you figure out how reliable and powerful your braking is, your riding will go completely next level now that you know you can stop when you have to. Great looking bike but those leftys have always freaked me out

Seventh

Golden Squire
holy shit you're just now going to disc? Probably the biggest game changer of all time after adding suspension to bikes. Once you figure out how reliable and powerful your braking is, your riding will go completely next level now that you know you can stop when you have to. Great looking bike but those leftys have always freaked me out

I totally agree on discs. I'm not an expert or anything but I do a bunch of XC/enduro racing throughout the season (with a podium or two). Good brakes that modulate well are definitely a huge part of being able to ride smoother, and smooth = fast.

As far as the lefty, I've always wanted one, and holy fuck all is this bike an unforgiving absolute animal to ride. It's fast, fast, fast but with the steep head angle, short suspension and light weight any time you stop paying attention it tries to kill you. I love me some slacked out bikes but I really can't wait to hammer this thing at my next XC event. It climbs like a mountain goat and has the race lockout for sprints. It's so hilariously fast but at the same time requires so much more concentration than my Trance does (160mm/65.5* HTA vs. 100mm/69.5 on the Scalpel). I really dig the hell out of it.

Last edited:

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Should I still be using both front and back? I feel like I am slowing down too much when I use both, maybe I just don't squeeze so hard. Seriously doubt I will be able to switch to just rear brake after thousands of hours of muscle memory using both.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Should I still be using both front and back? I feel like I am slowing down too much when I use both, maybe I just don't squeeze so hard. Seriously doubt I will be able to switch to just rear brake after thousands of hours of muscle memory using both.
If you pull too much on the front you're gonna go over the bars. Time to relearn how to brake.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
general rule is back brake is for controlling/shaving speed, front brake is for stopping power, same as caliper brakes. disc just does it much better in all conditions, especially wet. you'll get used to shifting your weight back and hanging ass over the back tire when you need to stop fast real quick. As was mentioned above, discs give you so much more modulation in your braking power than traditional brakes, you'll figure it out fast with a few rides.

• 1Solidarity

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Found a trail I like so much I have been going almost everyday, already down 6 pounds. Exercise AND diet! Who knew right?!

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
Finally started riding my fixed speed cruiser to work (real casually) after a year of non-biking. Already pulled a muscle and can't do hills. (bridge incline)

I'm feeling my age this year.

IMG_0221.JPG

• 1Solidarity

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Rode Tigers summit in Wa today with some friends, 3 hardtail single speed MTBs and me on a rigid SS. I was in above my head for some of it but still managed to have a good time and felt good first real time taking it out since going SS and I was geared way too high. Short track season is starting in a couple weeks and can't wait to blast around on it.
20170527_144428.jpg

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Casual ride since trails were wet, heading toward hispanic family with small child maybe 3 years old, family sees me and move over but ignores child. I hit the grass along the edge of the bayou, kid with arms raised runs right towards my front tire. I turn off down a 70 degree paved embankment and eat it hard. Handle bars get shaved down ripping my grip holder off and shredding both the end and my grips. That and pedals take the biggest hit.

Picture incoming. always wear knee pads even on casual ride.

image1.JPG

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Criterium du Dauphine going full steam right now, and no one looks like they are in fantastic form. TDF is a crap shoot this year, with a slight advantage to Nairo.

• 1Like

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Went out again to some MTBing, photo of me dinking around in the staging area. Part of me wants to get a full squish soon but I know once I do, my rides up to the mountain will disappear.
IMG_20170610_162420_881.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users