Bicycling

Pops

I'm forced to have a fence around my pool and you are building a death ramp.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I'm an old bike racer and have been on these boards forever as well as on the old boards and yet somehow, to me, this is the strangest thread I've ever seen here. Congrats! Cool builds btw, i don't have those skills.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Forced by who, your HOA? It is actually a concern of mine, they will tell me to take it down.
Granted all HOAs are different but I built a halfpipe back in an old rental house, I just kept it right below the fence line so you couldn't see it from the street and never had any issues, just the occasional neighbor who popped their head over to check it out/ask to skate it with me.

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Deck is done, still have to finish coping on other side and get a drill bit extender to finish the the coping but we in the home stretch now.

B3F7A994-2973-4BF0-B2C1-D51BA68C58A7.jpeg

E031E1C1-4457-4172-BA46-39A8CF5B7E58.jpeg

• 1Like

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Looking at entry level mtb/city/hybrid. Mainly for the road, a little exercise bc fuck running. See if I like it, been years since I biked regularly. Thinking Trek or Cannondale, maybe. Trek FX 1-2 disc, mebbe. Thoughts?

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Looking at entry level mtb/city/hybrid. Mainly for the road, a little exercise bc fuck running. See if I like it, been years since I biked regularly. Thinking Trek or Cannondale, maybe. Trek FX 1-2 disc, mebbe. Thoughts?
A big name hybrid is gonna be a solid choice, will be somewhat limited off road but going entry level hardtail mtb will be crappy on road and just mediocre all around. Not sure your LBS situation but talk around and see who's got some last year models.

Glad you've come around to the coping Hatorade Hatorade , not sure on the build but make sure to reinforce it with a 2x4 underneath at least.

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
A big name hybrid is gonna be a solid choice, will be somewhat limited off road but going entry level hardtail mtb will be crappy on road and just mediocre all around. Not sure your LBS situation but talk around and see who's got some last year models.

Glad you've come around to the coping Hatorade Hatorade , not sure on the build but make sure to reinforce it with a 2x4 underneath at least.

Yeah it is screwed directly into a 2x4, decided on coping after I aired out and almost died, no tell tale bump made it very hard to know when bad tire left the wood. On a tighter radius I think I would have left it alone but eight foot isn't steep enough.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Deck is done, still have to finish coping on other side and get a drill bit extender to finish the the coping but we in the home stretch now.

View attachment 262742

View attachment 262743
This is pretty awesome. Your cats overweight btw.

Anyone have a rec on a bike I can buy online or find locally that would be great just riding around town and paved trails for exercise? Don't want to blow the bank on something 1k+

Caliane

Anyone have a rec on a bike I can buy online or find locally that would be great just riding around town and paved trails for exercise? Don't want to blow the bank on something 1k+
From my experience buying a bike last year or so.
I'd be inclined to less recommend a specific bike, but instead to scope out your local bike shops, and determine which of those is the best, and pick one they sell.

Trek is US based, but as of then, basically no company makes steel or Aluminum frames in the US. you need to get carbon fiber to do that. (they may be assembled in the US. and I dont know if any company brought manufacturing back into the states post tariffs.)

there were several shops, I chose the wrong one. I chose the very local one, in town. small 1 man shop, new. "support local business" While there were two others, further away with 30year+ histories.
Providence bike, and Mystic Cycle centre, in the case you are in this area..

Local shop, was a giant pita to deal with. I had to call the guy repeatedly, when the bike was on pre-order. $1200 bike. shop offered free yearly tune-ups etc, with a new bike purchase, but he didn't actually ever tell me that. I just noticed a sign one day when I went in to buy some chain oil a few months after I got the bike.
Then, 6months after getting the bike, the shop closed, and moved 30miles away into downtown Norwich. No notification to customers. nothing on the website. only note was on facebook. which listed an new address. Which at the time wasn't even the correct address, as he was in the process of moving, and had a different temp location. got like a $100 gift card, never going to use, because i am not driving my truck into the city, with parallel parking to get work on my bike ever. owner is a giant flake, and terrible businessman.

So unless you are going to go full, build the bike/work on it yourself like these guys, I'd say vet the bike shop first.

Bike was a Trek ds4. I like it. but probably out of your price range.

My Dad has a Giant Cypress DX. its pretty comfortable. A fairly upright city/cruiser position. comfy seat. very nice for a relaxed ride.
Cypress DX (2020) | Men Comfort bike | Giant Bicycles United States
I've been considering getting one of these, for the relaxed 8-10mph rides with the parents.

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.

How dare you! My cat just has sacks that hang down... she was overweight when we got her from the shelter though.

if you only doing paved get a road bike, dont get a “hybrid” or a mountain bike. Also don’t get a walmart bike either. Go to local bike shop and look around at the various entry level bikes and ask questions. Typically you want one step up from entry level if you plan on riding often otherwise those cheaper components will fail and you will spend the money anyway.
Also double your budget because after you kit up you will spend way more than you think.
Giant, Trek, Specialized, Scott, bunch others all make road bikes.

example FastRoad SL 2 (2020) | Men Fitness bike | Giant Bicycles United States over the three, same bike better components.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Fifey

Trakanon Raider

I'm a fan of fairdale, if you're a weight weenie then it's not for you but they are solid city bikes at a good price.

Pretty rough in the sub 1k range cause most sub 1k are built with the lowest end of components so you start replacing things 6months after you buy it.

Caliane Caliane people have been building bikes in the US, you're just not gonna like the price of them.

• 1Like

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Jamis has some decent priced bikes also... I'd recommend flat-bar road bike w/ 38s if you don't want a mountain bike. That will take you on anything from fire-road to gravel to pavement to even some easier off-road paths.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Foler Foler Oh and you will likely want a better saddle and pedals immediately, also if you go riding in your running shoes your going to have a bad time. Don’t have to get anything fancy just some with a uniform sole like vans or whatever. That is assuming you riding flats and not clips. What turns out to be a very short question or "what bike should I get" turns into a very complicated answer.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Thanks everyone for input. A lot to digest... Always been a gym kinda guy but with covid shenanigans not easing up I'm debating whether it's time to adapt and get exercise outside... Don't wanna drop big $ unless it's something that's not a temporary fix to my gymlessness.

Starting to think it may be worth getting into. I'll research everyone's leads this weekend.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Thanks everyone for input. A lot to digest... Always been a gym kinda guy but with covid shenanigans not easing up I'm debating whether it's time to adapt and get exercise outside... Don't wanna drop big $ unless it's something that's not a temporary fix to my gymlessness.

Starting to think it may be worth getting into. I'll research everyone's leads this weekend.

One more thing, check on Trail forks if you have any trails near you, if so check them out. Single track got me into biking a few years ago, currently in the best shape of my life after finding the MTB/dirt jumper community and started digging/building jumps myself.

• 1Solidarity

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>

Yeah, I think cycling is one of the better outdoor activities. Running wrecks your body, cycling can also but a lot more slowly.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I think cycling is one of the better outdoor activities. Running wrecks your body, cycling can also but a lot more slowly.
Yeah. I don't want the long term shit that comes with running. Granted my cardio I've done in the past has been on a treadmill. I just don't wanna run outside in 90 degree weather. Maybe biking would make it worthwhile tho.