Biggest video game disappointment?

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Keeping it simple.

MMO: Vanguard & Age of Conan

And most recently Rage. Played that shit for 15 minutes. Was so bad. Controls were garbage. Was some shitty pseudo open-world game. So disappointed.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Max Payne 3. Holy shit I hated that game. It was so far removed from the originals that it was basically Street Fighter The Movie: The Game.

EQ2 and SWG made me feel like the Nazi's opening the holy ark.

Mostly though this just brings up memories of roughly 80% of the NES games I ever rented. Especially the ones that Nintendo Power hyped the shit out of.

• 1Solidarity

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
Put me down for SWG and Diablo 3, for reasons already mentioned in the thread. Man I wanted those to be so good.

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Turok Rage Wars.
I love the n64 but this game played like shit. I have the black cartridge version of the game seen below. They were recalled for a number of programming issues.
ragewarblack.JPG

And of course Superman 64 was a huge disappointment.
Superman_64_Lvl_1.jpg

• 1Solidarity

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Reading the thread I got one suddenly! I really enjoyed Eric Chahi's Another World aka Out of this World aka Outer World. It was a landmark in cinematic storytelling in an action/puzzle game. Needless to say me and many others expected much from his next game, Heart of Darkness, but it was craptacular shit. Like the guy did not understand a single thing of what made his previous game great. The pinnacle of the lameness in that game was reached when, near the end of the game the hero meets the antagonist for the first time. The antagonist is just shooting fireball at the hero from the background and zero narration happens before or during this crucial confrontation. The WTF level is just off the charts.

The sad part is that Chahi, since Another World in 1991, did only 2 games in 25 year: The lame Heart of Darkness and a somewhat well received god game called From Dust in 2011. The saddest part though is that basically none of the groundbreaking tricks used to blend gameplay and cinematic narration in Another World have been reused by anyone in these 25 years. That's one big disappointment right there.

We were still lucky to have played Out of this World and Flashback. Neither of them did shit else though, unless you liked Shaq Fu.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Diablo 3, and I don't even think it's close. After how amazing Diablo 2 was, there couldn't have been a bigger disappointment. Diablo 3 was just fucking awful. The story was bad, the dialogue was cringe worthy, the itemization was horrible, the auction house was a fucking train wreck, just bleh! To put a final nail in the coffin, I got stuck behind the level wall in Act 2 when they ran that first patch, and couldn't progress any further. Rolling out those invincible enemy combos and getting insta killed made me want to fire bomb Blizzard. All the best loot was on the other side of that wall for those who were lucky enough to level to 60 before the patch, and they made damn sure everything was insanely expensive on the AH. Fuck that game!

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Haha that fucking Superman 64 was awful.

SWTOR really was a disappointment, but think they are somewhat getting a pass for the recent salvaging they have done with moving it away from MMO gameplay.

Mass Effect 3 sucked also. Not sure how I could forget that.

wanand

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Absolutely, Everquest 2 has been the biggest gaming disappointment for me.
There was so much potential and such a rich world to build upon; but SOE stupidly decided to scrap everything that made the original good in addition to having such a horrible sense of art direction it was almost unbearable to look at.

In beta EQ2 was not that bad the graphics was a love or hate thing, they never really botherd me but 1 week before close of beta they done a major patch and completely destoryed the combat, the combat system was not that bad you never havd a millions skills like you had in the launch version (this new patch) the old versions of the skills shared the same CD so making needed to have all of them on your toolbar a non thing, but then this patched hit and changed it all and know one could beleive what they had done. It destoryed the game.

it was like the "Miracle" patch that all devlopers promise in beta but in this case no one asked for it or expected it.

Other games worth a mention, not so much a disapointment but just good awful game Horizon MMO my god that game was beyond bad, it was a while ago but I remember the beta being packed so I assume the hype for the game was big but it was just a hugh pile or turd.

Age of Empires 3 for me was a massive disappointment as someone who put so much time into AoE2 and used to play in pro events and ranked quite high, AoE3 was just terrible the new god systems and it basicly come down to who could build a god first won the game, the different tactcis that made AoE2 so unpredictable had all gone out the window

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Surprised I didn't see it listed. Duke Nukem forever was definitely one that I had nostalgia kicking me in the nuts for playing that piece of shit

• 1Solidarity

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Keeping it simple.

MMO: Vanguard & Age of Conan

And most recently Rage. Played that shit for 15 minutes. Was so bad. Controls were garbage. Was some shitty pseudo open-world game. So disappointed.

I'm going to completely agree with Age of Conan. I had just gotten out of the navy took a few months break from working and this was the first game that I truly poopsocked. I fucking loved the combat and got max level in a couple days, joined a raiding guild, and wtf everything was non-existent or broken. Pretty much ruined poopsocking for me.

Caliane

Not sure how all you dudes seem good with SWTOR!
managed expectations.

plenty of games are pretty disappointing. GW2 I had very high hopes for, with its near perfect manifesto. The game itself was of course, a giant letdown in WvW. let down in class balance/non-trinity design. Great world design though. so, good here, bad there. not the wow killer.
SWtor, as you note. Amazing trailers/movies. but, those aren't gameplay. was super hyped in the early days, but calmed way down by the time beta came around. Got into a closed beta. was soundly.. meh. So, on release I knew what was coming. only played because friends were playing, and at the time, didn't have another prime game. just subbed for 3months iirc.

any sandbox game. Fallout, skyrim, etc. I REALLY want more out of these games. more advanced AI. simulation aspects, etc. They all end up letdowns. playing fallout4 feels like a half finished game often. SO close in many ways. but then, nothing is flushed out like it should be.

no mans sky. I saw that shit coming a mile away. Landmark. saw that coming a mile away. so, can't be really disappointed in those, since I was expecting it.

D3 for me really stands out, because I did manage expectations, and was prepared for shit. It somehow managed to take my zero expectations, and go even lower. i was expecting a bad game, and got something terrible beyond my imagining.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
managed expectations.

plenty of games are pretty disappointing. GW2 I had very high hopes for, with its near perfect manifesto. The game itself was of course, a giant letdown in WvW. let down in class balance/non-trinity design. Great world design though. so, good here, bad there. not the wow killer.
SWtor, as you note. Amazing trailers/movies. but, those aren't gameplay. was super hyped in the early days, but calmed way down by the time beta came around. Got into a closed beta. was soundly.. meh. So, on release I knew what was coming. only played because friends were playing, and at the time, didn't have another prime game. just subbed for 3months iirc.

any sandbox game. Fallout, skyrim, etc. I REALLY want more out of these games. more advanced AI. simulation aspects, etc. They all end up letdowns. playing fallout4 feels like a half finished game often. SO close in many ways. but then, nothing is flushed out like it should be.

no mans sky. I saw that shit coming a mile away. Landmark. saw that coming a mile away. so, can't be really disappointed in those, since I was expecting it.

D3 for me really stands out, because I did manage expectations, and was prepared for shit. It somehow managed to take my zero expectations, and go even lower. i was expecting a bad game, and got something terrible beyond my imagining.

Hasn't D3 got a ton better over time?

Cybsled

I loved FO4, but the biggest draws were the base building (main reason I played the hell out of Dayz:Epoch on Arma2) and I liked the companion interactions.

For big disappoints for me, I would say Age of Conan. Like others have said, early game was AMAZING. Then it became a shitty grind with no real content. However, it was fun to stab an old EQ1 guildy that took the Avatar of War legs and ebayed them in the stomach and chop off their head in AoC lol.

SC2 as well for me, although I think that had more to do with the fact I had played DOTA for years at that point and realized I wasn't as big a fan of the old-style RTS games anymore.