Biggest video game disappointment?

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah, it rocks as much as Brad's stinky socks. That's why I'm playing D2 (still after 15+ years), Grim Dawn, PoE, and Borderlands2 these days instead.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I hated D2. Liked D1 a ton. I realize I am in the vast minority. I just hate clickers.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
Sword Coast Legends, it's in it's own galaxy of disappointment

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Disappointment is subjective so absolute quality has to be tempered with both temporal considerations (when the game came out vs legacy) as well as expectations of quality.

So bearing this in mind, number one is really D3. What a terrible, terrible game right out of the box with tremendous hype going into it.

Second would probably be SC2. I played SC forever and WC3 DotA was sublime. SC2 campaign was even kinda cool if a little cheesy and then... MP was basically garbage vanilla style compared to SC and the custom maps were a joke compared to WC3.

TF2, just did not recapture the magic of TFC at all. Add CS Source to that list as well.

HL2, I hated, hated, hated that game. I must have a genetic intolerance of eastern European settings I guess. HL1 was unsurpassed IMO. Then after I felt lukewarm, the mods sucked and episodes were just delayed and delayed, meh.

Then there's tons of MMOs, but honestly so few I had really any decent expectations. I expected EQ2 to be trash based on how it basically iterated after WoW already revolutionized. I was playing AoC as a time killer so no great surprise it sucked after Tortage. STO I never really cared about ground combat so I expected it to be meh. SWOTR is exactly as bad as I thought it would be, so nothing lost there.

Maybe I'd consider Wildstar and Rift the recent big disappointments for MMOs.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Starcraft 2: 16yo re-skinned game, same flaws in it from SC1. Was on break from wOw when SC2 hit and is the reason I boycot blizzard now. I refuse to give them any of my cash, period! Havent touched wOw since Lich King.

City of Heroes: I knew one of the net upstart radio guys that went to interview the devs for his show. Told him what they have done to sink the game. There is a problem when you can spend DAYS creating a toon and then get bored 15min into playing it. The fun of the game was just creating your toon!

Masters of Orion 3: such crappy play.

Elder Scrolls Battlespire: Was just a dungeon crawl, nothing like the previous games.

Black and White: The reason I stopped listening to Peter Molyneux. Seems he wasnt the brain child behind old Lionhead/Bullfrog studios.

Defiance: Was a crappy console port, shitty no camera controls and just wasnt fun to play. Dont even think I left the starting area.

Atari 2600 Pacman: It wasnt anything like the arcade!

Commodore GI Joe: Had like 2 maps, flying map was just a loop.
Commodore Leather Goddess of Phobus: Got stuck early in the game and said fuck it.
Commodore The Pawn: Another text based adventure, got semi far and stuck. Last time I would play a text only game again. Cant stand that shit!

Arcade Dragon's Lair and Space Ace: Great to watch if someone was doing well but sucked if you were playing it.

Cybsled

City of Heroes had great potential, but nerfs and poor design made it a boring grind. I agree best part was making a hero and travel powers. Fighting Nazis was also fun until they removed them and all references to them when they released the game in Europe, then tried to play it off as them trying to push the story forward vs. the truth that they didn't want to potentially offend any Euros.

Caliane

Starcraft 2: 16yo re-skinned game, same flaws in it from SC1. Was on break from wOw when SC2 hit and is the reason I boycot blizzard now. I refuse to give them any of my cash, period! Havent touched wOw since Lich King.

City of Heroes: I knew one of the net upstart radio guys that went to interview the devs for his show. Told him what they have done to sink the game. There is a problem when you can spend DAYS creating a toon and then get bored 15min into playing it. The fun of the game was just creating your toon!

oh damn.
new additions. EVERY DC comics licensed game? DCUO. The Moba with amazing concept art, total shit game.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
DCUO did a better job of limiting costume unlocks to dropped items, which was what COH needed from the start. Getting all of it right out of the box gave nothing for players later. The guild base later was something that never caught on but should have once COV hit. Something I think SWTOR needs badly. The option to raid other faction's bases as a mission with the other side protecting their assets.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Assassin's Creed : Unity
Final Fantasy 13-3
Everquest 2 at relase
The Witcher 3 (not saying it was a bad game, i just found the combat and the exploration parts of the game boring and the characters uninteresting.. Didn't like The Witcher 1 either and never played 2. No one else to blame but myself)
Destiny (not my type of shooter, my mistake)
Titalfall (see Destiny)
Battlefield : Hardline (Battlefield 3 and 4 were great in my opinion, I had a lot of fun with those in spite of how terrible I am. However, Hardline felt like they said "CoD does 40% more sales so lets make the next Battlefield 40% more like CoD $$$. Not factual numbers, just how the game felt to me)
Dragon Quest 7 (game is boring and shallow, I am only level 16 right now but it is too old school for me though I am holding out some hope that it gains a little more depth)
Just my opinions on a few game, not saying any of them are bad except AC : Unity and FF13-3 are fucking terrible amd EQ2 was every bad about eq1 magnified by 10 at release, game got better over the years though.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Impossible to pick one, but if I had to put together a list it would probably start with GW2 or WAR. DAOC is all time favorite MMO, and the fact that nobody has managed to put together a worthwhile game based on that design since really bums me out. GW2 especially looked great at first, but everything about it was just a bit off - the combat felt weird and clunky, the WvW was terribly designed, the map design sucked, there was no real progression, etc etc.

Second up is Diablo 3. They've managed to make it at least playable now, but it will never be a worthwhile followup to the first 2, which were both such a huge part of my early gaming years.

DA2 definitely needs to be in there too - I wasn't as in love with DA as I was with the Baldurs Gate games, but it was still an excellent RPG that I had a blast playing, but they absolutely obliterated any potential the series had with that godawful sequel. That was just straight up terrible game design and anybody who worked on or signed off on that project should be blacklisted from the industry.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Hasn't D3 got a ton better over time?

It was until I found out once again it was some retarded unimmersive shit. The last time I played it was throwing tornados into a wall/feeding health globes to said tornado thrower.

Before that it was immune monks with off screen autofiring turrets where you did math to figure out turret break points for attack speed.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
If you're doing the cutting edge group rift farming then yeah, it's not great. But just going back every season to spend a week levelling and gearing a new character with a friend or two is pretty fun now, although it will never touch on the first 2 games. Was kinda doomed from the beginning imo, the graphics and game world just don't "feel" like Diablo. But as a generic ARPG it isn't bad, although you might be better off checking out Grim Dawn.

Wantonsoup95

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Atari Jaguar has to be my console that crushed my spirits. It did have a couple good games, but this was a bigger waste of money than Virtualboy! At least that had Wario land.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
At least you didn't make the mistake I did in buying a 3DO. For those that don't remember, it was Trip Hawkins' uber project, suppose to blow every other system out of the water. It was the first system with a CD-drive, but there was almost zero software support for it. Plus it was way expensive, I want to say I paid like $600 for the system, and this was back in early 1990s.

I remember about a year or so after release they sent all of us "early adopters" a T-shirt as a sign of appreciation....I still have that T-shirt somewhere, mainly to remind me never again to be an early adopter lol.