Biggest video game disappointment?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Cybsled

Anyone that bought into the Neo Geo, Jaguar, 3DO, or Turbo Grafix was just looking for disappointment. People got wowed by (by standards at the time) nice graphics, while overlooking the fact they had shit for dev support and very little solid track record.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Hey hey, Neo Geo and Turbo Grafx had a few good things. A lot of the arcade ports that couldn't run on SNES or Sega, or PS. Samurai Showdown, Metal Slug, Fatal Fury... Bonk, Ys, okay maybe not too much for the TG.

3DO had some game we played the shit out of but can't find it right now.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
When I was a kid, I used to play "Return Fire" for the 3DO. That game was awesome. A huge game of capture the flag using military vehicles. You had a little jeep (this was the fastest and the only thing that could carry the flag, but it blew up easily. It also had inflatable tires), Apache Helicopter (this was a 1 way force of destruction, but if someone had anti-air guns, you were fucked), there was also a light tank that did medium damage with a faster speed and a heavy tank that did tons of damage, took tons of abuse but was slow as shit. You could make your own base for multi-player mode, or just do the campaign against a computer. This game was tons of fun, and I used to play it for HOURS every night after school. Friends would come over and we would have competitions and stuff as well. It was hands down the most played game for my 3DO when friends were around.

Anyway, they eventually made a Return Fire 2 for PC. I bought it as did a few friends so we could relive our youth. This game was complete shit. They removed so many features we used to love just to make the game have better graphics (I guess, I don't really see a reason why else to remove them). It wasn't good. We ended up playing MAYBE 10 matches of Return Fire 2 before hanging it up. Oh well.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I rented a 3DO for a weekend (remember when you could rent consoles?) and played the hell out of road rash.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Szlia

[3DO] was the first system with a CD-drive[...].
Mmmmmh.... no? The CDTV, the CD-i, the Turbo Duo or the FM Towns Marty were all systems with built-in CD-Rom drive that were released before the 3DO. CD-Rom extensions like the Sega CD or the CD-RomRom for PC-Engine are even older (5 years older in the case of the CD-RomRom).

Sterling

El Presidente
I rented a 3DO for a weekend (remember when you could rent consoles?) and played the hell out of road rash.
3DO was the best system for that game. I actually generally liked the system, just the game library was kind of shit.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Road Rash on 3DO was the first game I remember hearing real music in and still think of that whenever I hear Black Hole Sun.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Szlia

real music

:emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream::emoji_scream:

So many musicians triggered by your choice of words! I'll assume you meant "CD-quality licensed music."

PS: The 3DO also had a good version of Super Street Fighter II Turbo and, for the japanese speakers, Policenauts, an adventure game by Hideo Kojima (partly inspired by Lethal Weapon, but set on a space station).

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
Heroes of Might & Magic 6 and then 7. Holy fuck how they killed the series.

• 2Like

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I could never get into HOMM or any of the games like it. (King's Bounty?) I'd just wander around, picking up treasures or whatever, kill some monsters, then run into stuff that pushed my shit in when I didn't really have any way of building units that could handle it and I didn't know how to proceed. I didn't get it.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Doesn't really fit the topic, but the end of Mass Effect 3 is the most disappointed I have ever been playing a video game. Biggest 'what the fuck is this stupid shit' moment ever in the history of games in my opinion.

I mean, the rest of the game and the multiplayer was pretty goddamn awesome, but that ending just took a steaming shit on the whole experience for me.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Borderlands 2. Played the first one loads, the second one removed the fun blood & gore (no more craniums flying off after headshots, no more melting people with acid) and most of the new weapon mods made the weapons annoying to use or effectively useless. Quit playing it within a week and went back to the playing the first one. Looked at the third game but that seemed more of the same (in a bad way) so I never even bought it.

Also Mass Effect. Bought it because everyone seems to think it's awesome but as it turns out, I hate cover based shooters. Playstyle just did not agree with me at all.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I could never get into HOMM or any of the games like it. (King's Bounty?) I'd just wander around, picking up treasures or whatever, kill some monsters, then run into stuff that pushed my shit in when I didn't really have any way of building units that could handle it and I didn't know how to proceed. I didn't get it.
Haha, I know exactly how you feel. I hate when these games are all about finding out how to cheese fights - find a spell/move combe that allows you to lose close to no troops to not be screwed in the coming fights. If not, reload and find a slightly easier target. Gets annoying and super repetitive in the long run. And Kings bounty, ahmagawd, pressing D all the time for digging up tressure while constantly going back and forth to find an enemy that's doable without losing troops gets old. Reloading when the 5th move in a fight gets all your dragons killed because you forgot to move them 1 square back. And the shitty quest hints. Gawd, I want to punch those russian (?) devs right in the kisser. Other than that, it's super addictive ding-level-up-new-stuff gameplay, yet repetive and reloading saved games a lot. I wish I'd just watched a youtube story clip instead of playing through all of the KB games.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I remember playing road rash on a sega genesis. They had some sort of subscription thing where a certain number of games were put on each month that you could play.

Just looked it up, was called sega channel. Shit was great back then

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Heroes of Might & Magic 6 and then 7. Holy fuck how they killed the series.
HoMM 3 was the pinnacle. Those games were fantastic. Heroes Chronicles is based off of 3 and those are great

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
City of Heroes had great potential, but nerfs and poor design made it a boring grind. I agree best part was making a hero and travel powers. Fighting Nazis was also fun until they removed them and all references to them when they released the game in Europe, then tried to play it off as them trying to push the story forward vs. the truth that they didn't want to potentially offend any Euros.

Yeah the fifth column bullshit was bad enough, but their balance philosophy was retarded and ultimately killed the game in its infancy. Every single patch basically amounted to 'here are some nerfs for the most popular powers'. I don't think there was a single buff to anything for the first year or longer, just nerfs.