Bioware's "Anthem"

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
i'm just going to guess you didn't actually watch it since half way through one of the dev's died.

the forum seems to be pretty against the game, but i'm not actually sure why? i mean yeah, by all means have a pretty healthy dose of skepticism, but people seem to just outright reject the notion that this will be anything but trash.

I watched about 10 mins of him floating around shooting things without them even shooting back, I didn't go further than that.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fadaar

That guy
Bioware hasn't put out anything meaningful since Mass Effect 2, that's why we're super skeptical.

• 2Like

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Add to that the fact that, faster and moreso than most, they've drunk the fucking SJW koolaid. Why the hell would I spend money to support that shit?

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
After that soderlund debacle with BF5 and mass efffecy andromeda, Dice and BioWare are firmly in the dog house. And for all accounts, I view them both as EA. Have a leader of your company flat out say don’t buy the game then? Ok deal. And I won’t buy anything else your shit bag organization is putting out as well.

Want me back as a customer? Put out something worth playing. This isn’t it.

Echoing: last good game I played from BioWare was when they were actually BioWare and that was ME2. Last good game I played in the BF series was 3 and bad company 2.

Everything else they have launched since is an SJW laden dog and pony show. And holy shit has EA also destroyed the Star Wars license too. But that was expected.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
When the primary goal is to virtue signal, the product will suck dicks.

• 2Like

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
On the other hand it could be amazing and we will see if it is. Just right now I haven't seen anything indicating that. I think that I will take a flyer on it though. Maybe.

• 1Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Given they have proven issues tying branching stories together as noted by ME3's original ending maybe telling a more straight forward but interesting story is a better plan.
ME3 was a great wrap-up to the series until you got the Citadel and the kid and had to make the 3 color choice; Mac and Casey turned opinion on the whole game with one terrible decision. It's still better than ME:A, which looked like it was going to be amazing and then was loaded with shitty models and was completely broken for me. I bought a 1080ti to play it and joined that dogshit Origin Access to play it early. After the 2nd or 3rd game stopping bug, I shelved it and never went back. They can keep all the built in SWJisms.
... It looks utterly boring, and I'm pretty sure they're going to try to have the mech suits as some sort of sexuality metaphor.

Give me back my Bioware of the golden age you damn monsters! *Shakes fist*
Look at that Dev picture: Everyone gets representation in the New world order, but some more than others. It's dead, Jim. I was really excited for this at one point but given all the BS AAA titles that have launched, its clear that pandering is now the order of the day, and being good/great is far down the list. Hell, it was hard to make great games with the best people of any sort you hire. Now that "D/I" has taken over the ranks, expect more dogshit to be shoveled our way. EDIT: I long ago cancelled the pre-order I had for this, which I know people say is bad policy regardless but especially for this. I can find disappointment in lots of places for free.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I watched about 10 mins of him floating around shooting things without them even shooting back, I didn't go further than that.

It took you that long? I only skipped through the video, and I asked the question, "Why aren't those things shooting back? If the PC's can fly, why not just fly over them? "

I dunno, probably for reasons and "the quick adaptive genome of the planet will enable them to shoot quickly". Which, I realize leads to more questions, such as, "If the monsters have a quickly adapting genome, shouldn't the humans as well?"

I dunno. Like I said. "Reasons."

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
On the other hand it could be amazing and we will see if it is. Just right now I haven't seen anything indicating that. I think that I will take a flyer on it though. Maybe.

Yeah, I don't really care to dive into the speculation, between Origin Access and EA Access I'll already own it / have a number of opportunities to play it.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i honestly haven't really explored much of the game, outside of a few videos here and there. i know ME:A was TERRIBLE because of poorly done SJW drivel (a trans guy i knew couldn't even stomach the game. he was like "why would that person even say that? there's no reason for any human being to talk like this unless they are TRYING to be in your face about it, and i know a lot about trying to be in someone's face about ideology"). i haven't seen anything that suggests anthem is trying to virtue signal. is that just based on assumption due to bioware influence? or is there actual in-game evidence of that?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
ME3 was a great wrap-up to the series until you got the Citadel and the kid and had to make the 3 color choice; Mac and Casey turned opinion on the whole game with one terrible decision. It's still better than ME:A, which looked like it was going to be amazing and then was loaded with shitty models and was completely broken for me. I bought a 1080ti to play it and joined that dogshit Origin Access to play it early. After the 2nd or 3rd game stopping bug, I shelved it and never went back. They can keep all the built in SWJisms.
Look at that Dev picture: Everyone gets representation in the New world order, but some more than others. It's dead, Jim. I was really excited for this at one point but given all the BS AAA titles that have launched, its clear that pandering is now the order of the day, and being good/great is far down the list. Hell, it was hard to make great games with the best people of any sort you hire. Now that "D/I" has taken over the ranks, expect more dogshit to be shoveled our way. EDIT: I long ago cancelled the pre-order I had for this, which I know people say is bad policy regardless but especially for this. I can find disappointment in lots of places for free.

Bullshit. ME3 went full WTF IS THIS SHIT?? the second the god damn space ninja showed up.

• 1Like

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Watched the dev video where theyre flying around and lasers and splosions and yadda yadda. Feels like they went all eye candy but no substance.

What a sad time for games where the one i want most in 2019 is a remaster of a game that was released in early 2k . Tripple A games / studios are constant deception.

Fuck gaming these days.

• 2Like

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
If you want to play Anthem without the SJW or EA shit, install Warframe from Steam for free.

• 2Like

j00t

If you want to play Anthem without the SJW or EA shit, install Warframe from Steam for free.

i'm honestly having a real hard time with warframe. i don't like the character models, the camera is too jumpy, even with the mouse sensitivity turned way down i feel like michael j. fox. i don't know, i WANT to like it... i'm just really struggling with it =(

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
i'm honestly having a real hard time with warframe. i don't like the character models, the camera is too jumpy, even with the mouse sensitivity turned way down i feel like michael j. fox. i don't know, i WANT to like it... i'm just really struggling with it =(

My issue was the gamestyles, I really want Destiny 2 strike encounters and I'd be sold on it.

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
I hear you on the jumpy feeling. I felt the same way when I first started playing, which was at the same time I was playing Firefall. Firefall with its jumpjet boosting felt like a huge evolution in FPS mechanics to me, and the third person shooter just really jived. A friend I was showing Firefall too said I should have a look at Warframe, so I did. Initially it was damned near uncontrollable. The sheer speed the game moved at was unlike anything I'd seen before, controls where so god damned tight, that even flinching would cause me to 360. I dialled back some mouse settings and things improved, but I still had this massive disconnect I couldn't put my finger on.

Didn't take much longer when I realised the disconnect was when I was running away from something, my character would still have an over the shoulder line of sight on the target if I was running away backwards. So my character would turn around on my screen, but I wouldn't need too. This left me able to run fullspeed away from something and still be able to shoot at it. Once I realised that the disconnect was because I was so focused on the position of my warframe on my screen (which was much closer to you in perspective than most TPSs), I could finally look past it, and look at the action. When that happened everything became fluid. In every other game, it's damned near impossible to run away from something, or left, or right, and maintain a sight picture. Wasn't long after that I was jumping all over the place, clinging to walls, sliding under shit and having a blast. Everything else (destiny/bf) all feels like it's mired in quicksand for me at this point. Somewhere in all that, I discovered that melee in Warframe didn't suck, and was even more fun that shooting at shit, but that's for another discussion.

So when I did play D2, I got over the movement aspect, and noticed that it was mobs that where jumping and rolling all over the place in awesome animations, and you, the player were a static target dummy moving left and right for them. Now, mobs in Warframe are more of your target dummy variety, they just added some new guys that have a leap and a knockdown, and a bull rush, so we're seeing new mechanics over time. All of the cool animations and movement is focused on the player, without needing another fucking hotkey to dodge, it's built into the the other subsystems of sprint and crouch.

I have no understanding of why you don't like the models, I do find that odd. But I've got a mate that thinks Overwatch looks awesome, but he won't play Warframe because it's too "spacey" for him.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I was really excited for this at one point but given all the BS AAA titles that have launched, its clear that pandering is now the order of the day, and being good/great is far down the list. Hell, it was hard to make great games with the best people of any sort you hire. Now that "D/I" has taken over the ranks, expect more dogshit to be shoveled our way.

You think this is true for all games? Because I think many of the best games I've ever played have come out on the latest generation. Witcher 3, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War. And RDR2 hasn't been too shabby either.

• 2Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
You think this is true for all games? Because I think many of the best games I've ever played have come out on the latest generation. Witcher 3, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War. And RDR2 hasn't been too shabby either.

Does my post read like an encyclopedic look at the Video Game industry over the last 5 years, encompassing PC and major consoles? Those are all fantastic games, and while I haven't played GoW or RDR2, yet, I also really am currently enjoying AC:O as well. That post wasn't because a lot of good stuff as come out but because there are seemingly many AAA titles that are coming out that do indeed suck and are not doing well. In particular, if you read it in context, I was talking about how excited I was for ME:A and what a shitshow that turned out to be, which in retrospect is as much on the back of politics as it was on poor planning. Anthem doesn't appear to be changing those dynamics at Bioware, which has gone from a day-0 buy sight-unseen to a shell of its former self, catering to a crowd for whom the games industry is another head to be mounted on its wall in the long march through institutions. That above all else seems to be the order of the day at a growing number of studios.

Hopefully I am mistaken in that regard, and your list of one great game a year continues to grow unabated by the forces of intersectionality, cultural Marxism, and greed in the form of the more egregious microtransaction models. As for Anthem, we'll see when it gets here if its awesome or not. I didn't pre-order any of those games you listed and still managed to survive 2018 (and even 2015,16, and 17, too I guess)
t

• 1Like

j00t

again, i'm guessing i've missed it, but where is the anthem specific evidence that it's catering to SJW culture? in ME:A, all that stuff became obvious only once it was out, so i'm not saying it's not there, or not to have some strong reservations, but people here seem to be talking about it as fact and i haven't seen any of it. what about anthem SPECIFICALLY is making people upset? i'll take the difficulty (or lack there of) comments. that makes sense. it appears at this stage that the game does not necessarily appear all that difficult. however, it's still in alpha. alpha isn't necessarily about making balance passes. it's about making the full game, from start to finish, concrete. prior to alpha, everything is just in pieces.

the stuff that i have seen, gameplay seems interesting. i don't know anything really about the story. is there a wiki or something out there that people are getting all their sjw info from?