Bioware's "Anthem"

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Andrew Wilson goes to Ray Muzyka and says "Ray, you promised me a live service IP that would give us returns for the next 10 years. You know I like you and Bioware, but if you can't give me something out of Anthem, then you are done. We are closing the studio."

Dude, you gotta keep up with the times, Ray saw this bullshit coming from miles away and retired from gaming in 2012. :)

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Couldnt care less if they made it remotely interesting. Game was doa. Has stated, put this energy in making something new and lets forget this pile of goo.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
NMS and FFXIV had great turn arounds. It’s completely possible
I want to say that both Hello Games and Square had/have more dedication / passion for NMS / FFXIV than BioWare will ever have for Anthem, but I could easily be wrong.

• 1Solidarity

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So the company that made a shit game, suddenly has the skills, knowledge and budget, to make a non-shit game?

Intradesting.

It wasnt all shit though dude, only parts of it were shit. The combat, flight, gun mechanics, how the mechs felt like they had weight behind them, etc were all really well done. But the rest of it was shit. Its like they merged 2 different games 2 studios were working on into one. Because the two didnt even resemble one another. And even that would of worked if they just had like 100% more content then they released with, but its ultimately the lack of content and loot in the end that failed them. Not because the game was shit.

Plus most of the failures that were leading this game are fucking gone anyway, so its not the same people doing the same thing.

Look, im not trying to whitewash this piece of shit, because ultimately it was shit, but there were some redeeming qualities about this game that they could capitalize on in the looter shooter genre.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
NMS and FFXIV had great turn arounds. It’s completely possible

Shit, remeber when Destiny launched? Lack of content, broken loot, people farming broken "loot caves", took a while to right the ship on that one and it became somethign good towards the mid-end of its lifecycle. Same shit can be applied to Destiny 2, which for an entire year, most would agree, was pure shit. It might of had more content than Destiny 1 or Anthem had, but it was boring and uninspired because they removed everything that made Destiny 1 fun.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
NMS was a tiny team with a lot of cash and a man's legacy at stake, and ff14 was Japanese pride on the line. I'd argue that there's nothing similarinvolved with anthem that would provide the backbone needed to clean up failure. That ship is just too big to be steered with care and subtlety

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
It wasnt all shit though dude, only parts of it were shit. The combat, flight, gun mechanics, how the mechs felt like they had weight behind them, etc were all really well done. But the rest of it was shit. Its like they merged 2 different games 2 studios were working on into one. Because the two didnt even resemble one another. And even that would of worked if they just had like 100% more content then they released with, but its ultimately the lack of content and loot in the end that failed them. Not because the game was shit.

Plus most of the failures that were leading this game are fucking gone anyway, so its not the same people doing the same thing.

Look, im not trying to whitewash this piece of shit, because ultimately it was shit, but there were some redeeming qualities about this game that they could capitalize on in the looter shooter genre.

The moment to moment combat/gameplay was amazing and fun it was the support systems and the weird antagonistic implementation of the single player and multiplayer that sunk it. It was basically like they nailed the gameplay but somehow had never seen a game of this kind before so hit every single speedbump like why luck stats don't work/ways to do steady gear progression/character development to keep sustained engagement/ longer term goals to keep people playing it. Honestly the basic gear progression with the event currency stuff is basically fine. If you play the game and do the stuff you can get a reasonable amount of legendaries in a reasonable amount of time these days. But it took them WAY WAY WAY to fucking long to get to that point.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Basically I feel that this thing was just rushed out the door like most other EA shit is. It needed another good year of fine tuning, testing and more content. The whole "city" area just felt slapped on to the core game and it didnt even feel like you were playing the same game. The biggest complaints I heard while playing for those beginning few months were the loading times, the city area, lack of content and loot was shit. We even saw glimpses of what good loot drop rate were when they fucked up on a patch and we had a whole weekend of good loot drop rates.

But like all failing devs think that shit drop rates will lead to people sticking around for longer, because more time to gear up, right? Which in this case was far from the truth. Since every lego item had like 4-5 RNG rolls on it. So you could get 10 lego items of the same kind and they were all shit because of bad rolls that had nothing to do with your build.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Basically I feel that this thing was just rushed out the door like most other EA shit is. It needed another good year of fine tuning, testing and more content. The whole "city" area just felt slapped on to the core game and it didnt even feel like you were playing the same game. The biggest complaints I heard while playing for those beginning few months were the loading times, the city area, lack of content and loot was shit. We even saw glimpses of what good loot drop rate were when they fucked up on a patch and we had a whole weekend of good loot drop rates.

But like all failing devs think that shit drop rates will lead to people sticking around for longer, because more time to gear up, right? Which in this case was far from the truth. Since every lego item had like 4-5 RNG rolls on it. So you could get 10 lego items of the same kind and they were all shit because of bad rolls that had nothing to do with your build.
Weird stuff like playing a coop game that you had to spend 30 minutes after a mission running around talking to everybody and then staying quite on coms so people could hear the story stuff. There was a very odd antagonistic single player/multiplayer feel where it was like two games bolted together that did more to detract from the other aspects than add to it.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
NMS was a tiny team with a lot of cash and a man's legacy at stake, and ff14 was Japanese pride on the line. I'd argue that there's nothing similarinvolved with anthem that would provide the backbone needed to clean up failure. That ship is just too big to be steered with care and subtlety

This is the only post that matters to anyone caring about this pile of garbage game/studio/publisher.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Was going to read it, but when you open up the link - you're greeted with a picture of a zoom meeting with a shit ton of rainbow flags in the background of each streamer. Games still plagued with that mindset and they can relaunch it all they want but I sure as hell wont be trying it again centrally because of that.

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

lol ok?

Anyways, what I took from the blog was: Looter shooters need to make sure there is enough good cheese so the mice keep running the treadmill, so we are improving that.

• 1Pathetic

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Was going to read it, but when you open up the link - you're greeted with a picture of a zoom meeting with a shit ton of rainbow flags in the background of each streamer. Games still plagued with that mindset and they can relaunch it all they want but I sure as hell wont be trying it again centrally because of that.

1596321941462.jpeg

• 4Barf
  • 2Tiresome
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 8 users

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Who the fuck would buy anthem 2.0 anyways. Salvage all available art assets and just launch something under a different name. Everyone will steer far off that version of anthem like its covid-2 anyways.

And fuck flags / sexual orientations in whatever business you manage. The only flag behind these guys that would be acceptable is a huge one with" we're sorry we fucked up." written on it.