Bioware's "Anthem"

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Meh say what you want but the games core combat and battle systems were solid. Its all the other shit the game was mired with that sucked. If they can fix the other shit, they will have a solid loot and shoot game. Even that it sucked I still have a hundred hours in this game and enjoyed a lot of it until I got bored of the lacking content.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
The tech behind character movement/flight, and gameplay is pretty good. It was everything else about Anthem that sucked. IT would take effort, but if they made an actual game (just copy Destiny formula) to go with the gameplay, they could definitely relaunch Anthem as something great.

• 1Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
This is one of those games you think "if they had waited six months..."; truth be told, I don't think the people working on it could have ever gotten there. The core gameplay was fun but lots of the other systems needed 20% more polish/revision, and I don't know that the folks working on it could have ever gotten there. I still enjoyed big chucks of what I played but it was no Destiny at all. I mean, when part of the game/world was making it hard to get where you are going, flying/cooling/etc, you have to decide whether its the journey or the destination. Plus when you find out that out of 5 years of development they really only spent the last 18 months working on the game but had a hard release deadline because it was fish or cut bait time? Come on.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Meh Destiny 2 was broken, well not really broken but sucked hard at release and its still doing fine 2 yrs later. If they commit to fixing this and then have a relaunch kind of like Destiny 2 had with Forsaken, they still can pull this from the trash can.And bonus if they do it along side a largeish expansion full of more content, they can even make some cash too.

• 1Like

Rude

Potato del Grande
Saw some ads where this game'll be $10 on black friday. I take it that's a waste of money?

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i think there's an ocean of difference between what made destiny 2 broken and what makes anthem broken. the stuff wrong with anthem is literally hard coded into the game. you'd have to fundamentally change how the core parts of the game work.

• 1Like

Janx

<Silver Donator>
i think there's an ocean of difference between what made destiny 2 broken and what makes anthem broken. the stuff wrong with anthem is literally hard coded into the game. you'd have to fundamentally change how the core parts of the game work.
Maybe they'll pull something like what Square did with FF14. They'll realize they let their fans down and rebuild the game from the ground up into a really great game.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
That's fine. Let them have a word with me. I'll just flash up the "70% (or whatever god forsaken number it was) of players demand refund" headlines.
Cool, then you can fast forward to where it it killed it in later reviews, a year ago and was the top selling game on STEAM once again once it was shown how they got their shit together. That headline has zero to do with how well it has done after the game was redone and how good the game is now.

They went above and beyond to fix the game and it paid off. Its a great game now. Which is the point I was making to counter the point you were trying to make. What you said isn't necessarily true and complete revamps don't happen often but have turned out well in many cases, like FF, No Mans Sky, Elder Scrolls Online and so on.

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
no man's sky is the exception to the rule. it's silly to argue that point, but the reality is that that sort of thing shouldn't even be hoped for.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
no man's sky is the exception to the rule. it's silly to argue that point, but the reality is that that sort of thing shouldn't even be hoped for.

It's happened with other games too, as mentioned in my other post. Total revamps just don't happen often so the sample size is small, but there's been success stories, No Mans Sky imo, the largest of them.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I agree, if NMS and FFXIV could turn it around, so too can this game. The concept is extremely strong, there's a reason there was so much hype beforehand.

I would say that FF was a bigger turnaround than NMS. They basically had to redesign the entire game. Sky just needed updates to deliver on promises, but the core game is effectively the same.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Is this thing completely dead now? What a sad state of affairs it has been.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Don't worry folks they are working on Anthem 2.0!

Tell you what - this better be a free patch for the folks that bought this piece of shit. No one will touch even as expac pricing.

This and Andromeda - the death certificate signed by EA on Bioware.

Bethesda take notes. You're next if you lay an egg on TES6 and Starfield.

• 1Worf

khorum

Murder Apologist
Don't worry folks they are working on Anthem 2.0!

Tell you what - this better be a free patch for the folks that bought this piece of shit. No one will touch even as expac pricing.

This and Andromeda - the death certificate signed by EA on Bioware.

Bethesda take notes. You're next if you lay an egg on TES6 and Starfield.
I don't see EA taking the costs of developing a completed version of this game on the chin.

The comparisons to FFXIV and NMS are apt because in both those cases the developers absorbed massive losses to rehabilitate their product. Square sucked up a year's worth of imploding subscriptions then TOOK AN MMO OFFLINE for another year to fix it.

Virtually zero chance the prostitutes in EA could even contemplate doing that without getting shit on by their board or shareholders.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I don't see EA taking the costs of developing a completed version of this game on the chin.

The comparisons to FFXIV and NMS are apt because in both those cases the developers absorbed massive losses to rehabilitate their product. Square sucked up a year's worth of imploding subscriptions then TOOK AN MMO OFFLINE for another year to fix it.

Virtually zero chance the prostitutes in EA could even contemplate doing that without getting shit on by their board or shareholders.

Yeah Anthem 2.0 most likely consists of some idiots from the Andromeda dev team.

• 1Worf