Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Any advice for places to start learning about crypto? Most of the youtube channels I've come across present as cultists or anarchists. I don't want crypto to cure cancer or heal the class divide, I just want to try to make a little money.
Buy a time machine.

• 1Salty
  • 1Midwit
Reactions: 1 users

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1630941990892.png

• 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I mean there are only a handful of "legitimate coins", everything else is pump and dump bullshit for the most part but there is a lot of rapid change and evolution in the L2 space. so it depends on if you are trying to "make some money trading magic internet coins" or you "believe in the crypto space long term", while not mutually exclusive that will help steer you a bit.

whatever BTC does historically precipitates all other changes in the market.
I think crypto has a role in the economy moving forward, but am unsure as to which vehicles for purchase are safe/functional. Looking to spend a small % of my investment portfolio in the space, probably split between Bitcoin and Ethereum.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
I think crypto has a role in the economy moving forward, but am unsure as to which vehicles for purchase are safe/functional. Looking to spend a small % of my investment portfolio in the space, probably split between Bitcoin and Ethereum.
Now's not really the time to buy, IMO. Things have been on a steady upward trend approaching the ATH's of last March - April. It's likely that this is temporary and ETH and BTC will come back down. Were I you and had $0 already in the crypto space I would wait entirely. OR alternatively I would put some money into stablecoins (USDC, USDT, etc) and wait for a good point to trade them into ETH or BTC at a lower price down the road. You can also earn some semi-decent APR with stablecoins at places like Voyager or Blockfi. Doing this would familiarize yourself with the mechanics of the space and how to xfer things back and forth, but even doing that right now is fairly expensive with ETH gas fees being so high and with xfer fees from exchanges like Coinbase and Binance.

• 2Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Seems very hard, everyone talks up different coins. Truebit sounded good, but has cratered. Then Sol and Fantom, which I haven't heard any hype for, have been blowing up now. Just like how Doge or Shib had sudden bursts and then cratered. The only slow and steady ones seems to be Eth and Btc.

Hold up a second here.... You're saying you haven't heard any hype around $SOL? Just how heavy is the rock you live under? How much in rent? heh

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Solana only sounds good until you look into how much it costs to run a node and realize you have to rely on trusted validators. It's just a temporary thing that will eventually be phased out.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
I would suggest not relying on this thread for your crypto strategy. Spoilered some decent resources below to help get started. None of them are foolproof. This space has no heroes, do your own research, everyone is a scammer.

If you're looking for trading advice, the below won't be very helpful. Buy and hold Bitcoin. Everything else is gambling.

If you want shitcoin resources then you don't need any help. That garbage is everywhere

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Any advice for places to start learning about crypto? Most of the youtube channels I've come across present as cultists or anarchists. I don't want crypto to cure cancer or heal the class divide, I just want to try to make a little money.

Crypto will cure cancer and heal the class divide. It will end war. You want to end war, don't you?

Also, welcome. ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
MATIC took a 13 cent tumble this morning at 7 AM it looks like. Not sure why. Rebounded halfway since then to 1.65.

Sold mine yesterday at 1.71 and was entirely expecting a spike to follow. I'll get back in when it's in the 1.30s area again.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Seems very hard, everyone talks up different coins. Truebit sounded good, but has cratered. Then Sol and Fantom, which I haven't heard any hype for, have been blowing up now. Just like how Doge or Shib had sudden bursts and then cratered. The only slow and steady ones seems to be Eth and Btc.

Truebit hasn't cratered. It started out in the first week higher than it has been since then, but it's been on a slight ascent and I've made money on it. It started out overvalued as a lot of things do (see also the COIN stock) and it just needed to adjust.

1630968596787.png

This is how it has done post overvalued first week. It isn't even on any of the major trading platforms (Coinbase, Binance, or even Robinhood) yet.

But yeah, the slow and steady coins to get are BTC and ETH. They're both on highs right now, though.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wouldn't plan on Truebit seriously pumping until we start seeing tasks run through the system, but who knows with this kind of stuff. I look at Truebit as a 5 year investment, stack now worry about selling later, and LP it to collect some fees in the meantime.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
qnt is going crazy high, it broke 360 and dropped to 320 just as fast, wtf is it just an os? i'm still in sol

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
El Salvador's Bitcoin law goes into effect tomorrow. They're also officially the first nation state to announce that they hold Bitcoin on their balance sheet. Won't be the last

• 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
El Salvador's Bitcoin law goes into effect tomorrow. They're also officially the first nation state to announce that they hold Bitcoin on their balance sheet. Won't be the last

Not too many people there are happy about it, unfortunately.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Not too many people there are happy about it, unfortunately.
I wouldn't take MSM seriously here. The FUD wave is going to be massive on this. I have no doubt its not 100% approved by the people, but I simply don't trust the source

At least 67.9% of 1,281 people surveyed said they disagree or strongly disagree with the use of bitcoin as a legal tender, said the poll by UCA, a Jesuit university based in El Salvador. Just over 32% of people said they agree on some level.

• 1Truth!

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I wouldn't take MSM seriously here. The FUD wave is going to be massive on this. I have no doubt its not 100% approved by the people, but I simply don't trust the source

Reuters is pretty believable as a general rule. I definitely give them more weight than cryptopotato.com or whatever anyway. I don't think they are just fabricating the poll or its results. I feel pretty confident that this is news, not FUD.

It's also believable on its face. Bukele has a reputation for authoritarian tactics and basically doing what he wants, whether his citizens want it or not.

That said, the same poll found that something like 8 or 9 out of 10 Salvadorians don't even really know wtf BTC is. Hard to take opposition seriously if the opponents don't even understand what they are opposing.

I mainly just posted it because it seemed interesting and relevant. It's definitely still up in the air whether this will turn El Sal around and be beneficial for its people or if it's just a huge money laundering tactic to help make El Sal a hub for billions of dollars of dirty money (which, of course, Bukele would get a huge cut from).

Super interesting social experiment either way imo, and an opportunity for crypto and BTC to prove their value (maybe).

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

i'm sure it's el salvador and their 200btc that pushed btc to stay at a stable 50+k

• 1Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Reuters is pretty believable as a general rule. I definitely give them more weight than cryptopotato.com or whatever anyway. I don't think they are just fabricating the poll or its results. I feel pretty confident that this is news, not FUD.
while not a tier 1 fake news shitstain
reuters has shown it is very biased

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
while not a tier 1 fake news shitstain
reuters has shown it is very biased

Dude, 90% of news orgs these days count as "tier 1 fake news shitstains" so I'm pretty happy with anything outside of that category tbh.

Plus, I could be wrong, but I haven't seen anything to make me think Reuters is biased against BTC specifically.