Black Desert

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
It's worthwhile solo. There aren't really any group mechanics in BDO, when you play with other people it's more like playing in the vicinity of other players. There's no limitation on what you can do without other players. If you go to kill a world boss by yourself, there will be dozens of other players there anyway whether you like it or not.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Good deal. For $8 I see no reason not to pick it up then.

Edit: Went ahead and bought it. Downloading now, we'll see how long that takes. Will probably bumblefuck my way through this weekend. Thinking Dark Knight, but I really know next to nothing about this game.

Last edited:

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
Anyone ever experience continuous crashing with this? Bought it but its crashed non stop throughout character creation and into the game, in under 1 minute each time, straight to desktop with no error message. My pc is fairly new with GTX1070 so it should run it fine. Such a shame because I really want to play it but its looking like a refund atm.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Try disabling your AV. I had crash issues and it was caused by trend micro fighting with XignCode.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Yeah AV and xigncode don't play nice, if that's not the issue not sure what might be, maybe one of the graphic settings. I don't remember if trying to force certain things through the graphics card settings instead of in-game settings can cause problems for this game, i've known of other games where it does tho.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
How is this for someone coming in late, is it super grindy like archeage? just kinda looking for a mmo similiar to blade n soul if i could get my jap account back id prolly just play that the combat was dope

Cybsled

It is grindier than Archeage, IMO. Unless they changed things, quests don't actually award XP, so the only way to level is murder shit EQ1 style. You don't mind it much at first, because you mow packs of mobs down like you're playing Dynasty Warriors (at least early on). I got to about level 40 and got sick of the grind.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I love the combat. It's definitely grindy, but in a fun way. I can grind out a level in 30 minutes (just hit 40 myself). I may change my mind 50+, we'll see.

It's not like sitting in a camp grinding mobs a la EQ though. It's basically smash the shit out of everything you see.

I also noticed lower level mobs (20ish) still give xp. So going back and doing skipped quests isn't as awful as it could be.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Find your carrot in other parts of the game and the leveling will come second nature. There were a couple points when i felt the grind was rough, but it didnt start to get absurd until I was 56. Now they've decreased the exp needed across levels up to 56 (iirc) and only past that point does the leveling start to become monumental again. When I started trying to complete my conversation circles and do the lore - time would fly. Crafting can be fun and maddening at the same time. Breeding horses, setting up entire supply chains, furnishing your house, etc. etc.

The game is absolutely beautiful and massive. But the RNG is on everything. Even worse, a lot of stuff is hidden from you. Your luck stat is hidden. Your characters innate stats are also random and hidden (to an extent). You might notice an equal leveled warrior with way more HP than your Warrior (with the same gear). Equally, you may do more damage than that warrior. Or have more armor. Or, whats possibly the shittiest RNG hidden stat - your character could have shit luck and you're doomed to just farming for coin forever.

The cash shop is annoying when it comes to pets, bank space, inventory space, weight requirements etc. But if you dont mind spending a few bucks, you can get by just fine without it with the daily logins. I quit because of the RNG, but I would definitely recommend giving it a whirl.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
How is this for someone coming in late, is it super grindy like archeage? just kinda looking for a mmo similiar to blade n soul if i could get my jap account back id prolly just play that the combat was dope
Its supper grindy but worth the $ imo. I busted out a dark knight to 50 and really enjoyed the trip.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande

It's different from Blade n Soul but I liked the combat in both games. Coming in late doesn't matter as long as you don't care about being competitive in pvp.

I came back and enjoyed myself again for a couple weeks but I just don't have it in me to try playing catch-up.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's different from Blade n Soul but I liked the combat in both games. Coming in late doesn't matter as long as you don't care about being competitive in pvp.

I came back and enjoyed myself again for a couple weeks but I just don't have it in me to try playing catch-up.
Pvp catch-up or catch-up in general?

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Mostly PVP, my gear as it is right now is enough to farm anything i've tried comfortably except for the lava guys (and probably pila ku or whatever, I haven't been there yet) and maybe crescents but I did the quests at crescents with no problems. I spent a boatload of silver and i'm sitting on one TRI red coral ring, rest of accessories are PRI red coral ring 2x pri red coral earring, pri guardian belt/necklace combo, TRI jubre amulet, duo green awakening duo liverto amulet full duo agerian armor. I bought the jubre and liverto. 160/150/240 or so are my ap/dp.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Sorc is ok in PvP, it's a shame they didn't remove the nerfs to Scythe though.. they made some big nerfs because a lot of classes didn't have awakenings yet, and now that all classes have awakenings they didn't bring the scythe back to where it was.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yesterday while I was at work I set an auto run with trade pack, and came home to find myself stuck in a corner having made almost no progress.

Did another one overnight, and woke up to a "Disconnected from server message." Kind of getting annoyed that I can't afk train something that is basically only feasible to do afk.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Gotta be careful with the auto loops and getting stuck. I used to let it run a few loops before I actually went afk to make sure it wasn't going to snag on something. Disconnected from server was probably for a patch/maintenance day. Strength isn't as bad as horse leveling since you can do it in a safe zone (you can do horse loops in safe zones too but it's garbage exp compared to having a nice loop) and people used to love knocking people off their horses who were afk looping.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Have to be careful where you loop horses outside safe zones, people will knock you off and drag you into aggro mobs if they can, so you come back from AFK to broken gems and xp loss.

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
Pvp catch-up or catch-up in general?

PvE catch-up isn't a thing.

PvP catch-up is something that varies alot. If you're in a newer guild and fight T1 nodewars, then full DUO gear is the norm, and TRI makes you a mini-god. If you're in a T3/Siege guild, TRI is the norm, and TET makes you barely over the cap.

I'm still playing daily.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Ah that might not be so bad then, I assumed even the t1 node guilds would be mostly full TRI+.

I've noticed guilds talking about massive payouts to members, did they do something to contract sizes and stuff (contracts used to be literally meaningless since you'd get 5 mins worth of grinding silver/wk)?