Black Desert

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
environment trailer
Just watched the entire trailer.

My thoughts on it

It appears the entire world is in one instance without loading. At least that entire area. It was like a long griffon ride in WoW. Lots of popup objects, but that only made it clear that it was a real fly-through, and doubt it will be that evident when going on foot/mounts as you won't be moving at that speed.

They are really happy with their fog mechanic, as that is everywhere, but it fits with the biome I guess (forest), but that brings me to a question. Is that a flyby of the world or a flyby of one area? It was clearly only one biome type of area, with little to no difference in the textures around in terms of trees or rocks. The same video as linked above is also on youtube as "world map", so it might be a flyby of the entire world, which does seem fairly static in terms of looks.

I enjoyed the Hitchcock dungeon with the birds everywhere. That looked like a fun place to go with an AE group.

The game does look great though, a fairly large step above anything else out at the moment, so I mirror the sentiment above that it is strange how much further along the East seems to be to the West in terms of technical abilities in their mmos. The weather, dark, fog and general aesthetic of the game is miles beyond the "stylized" cartoon stuff the western AAA developers seem to deliver. Though, again, a bit disappointing if the entire game is "forest/rocks".

--

Small video displaying how the world map looks.

Here is another video showing trading (and some explanations of what the colored roads and such on the map is for)

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I don't think they are really ahead, usually Eastern MMO will have 3-5 races, with very limited amount of armor visuals, like 1 different appearance per level range per class or something close to that. Western MMO tend to have more races 8-10, with a lot of different armor visuals at each level range, or at least at the end game.

It also applies to landscapes...each zones in Eastern MMO has very little diversity compare to zones in western MMO that tend to have more diversity within the same zone. It could more mobs variety, more trees/vegetation, buildings etc...

Also Eastern MMO tend to have zones, very few seamless world, zones are usually smaller, and are notorious for invisible walls.

There are exceptions to these of course...but to me it's not that they are more advanced, they chose different trade-off.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
I just watched the flyover trailer. I noticed several differences with regards to vegetation and ground types. There were coastal regions, mountains, swamps, creepy forests, redwood forests, deciduous forests, coniferous forests... ok yeah, there were a lot of forests.

Anywaysthisshould provide a better overview as to the layout of the whole region. So there is more than just trees and rocks... there is grass and rocks and also sand and rocks!

I think the flyover video starts on a small island north of "rear port town Epernay" on the north coast on the west side of the map, does a loop going as far east as maybe "Heidelberg" and then runs along the southern mountains until ending up back in "Carl peon". Those place names are from the auto-translated screen shot titles from the map I linked. Looks like they covered about 2/3 of the world map with their teaser tour.

To the east it looks like they included Diablo Act II. Pretty awesome looking middle eastern styled city and deserts.

misery_sl

shitlord
Three videos from CB2.

Questing. 4:05, check the quest dude as the character runs into him and he gets knocked a little. Very interesting to see that kind of interaction between players and NPCs. I was impressed.

Sorcerer character creation.

Low level sorcerer using some low level skills.

But wait, there's more...

That combat...

Some more appearing on youtube, but I don't want to link every video.

misery_sl

shitlord
Thunderstorm and Night time, at the end you can see examples of various UI elements being turned on/off.

Giant wrecking some monsters from yesterday,

Taming, registering and riding horses,

The music is very awesome. Horse tricks near the end, lol she falls off.

Fishing,

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Character creation too strong.

rrr_img_65413.jpg

misery_sl

shitlord

"Entering and exploring Calpheon city west section for the first time, most of the houses in this city can be purchased by players. Didn't have enough time to record the other two sections of this large city."

Steparu posts some of the best videos. Looking at that city, it's hard to not be impressed.

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
That was an amazing video of the city. Incredable how they manage to get Assassin Creed-levels of life and activity into it. Also every nook and cranny seems to be uniquely handcrafted, with a credable layout. And lots of interiors too so not just fronts. Awesome.

Not sure why the avatar had a balloon taped to her ass though.

Parallel45

Silver Knight of the Realm
The engine looks like it has some pop-in issues, but damn that city was impressive. The attention to detail is amazing.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Pop in or not that city looks amazing - easily the most visually impressive that i've seen thus far.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It looks gorgeous but I can't imagine that shit with 100s of players in it also. Will have to turn almost everything down.

Hell I am pretty sure steparu has a top of the line PC and he still stutters/pop-ins.

At least the ambiance/life of the city is great and won't be hurt/turned off because 99% of the PCs out there can't handle it.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
He said the stutter was youtube compression and that he wasnt stuttering at all in game just the pop in.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ah, he also runs a beast of a machine.

The game Looks amazing and the character customization,environments etc are all top notch but how will that translate when you have 100 people on screen or more. I can only hope for the best.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Agreed, im glad it doesnt have the typical annoying asian appearance. It looks more....normal/traditional? Hard to explain but it has a very nice style to it and looks like a ton of fun.

misery_sl

shitlord
It's the most realistic looking MMORPG I have ever seen. The textures and environments are top notch. The weather system is simply awe inspiring. The city in the video above (that was only 1/3rd of it) looks more alive than any city in any MMORPG I have ever seen. I'm still a bit worried about localization, though. Depends who gets the English version and when they get it out, but I have a serious aversion to 2nd hand MMORPGs. Playing this on the OR would be interesting.