Black Panther (2018)

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I really want to KANGZ post this thread into the ground but I feel that would irresponsible as a member of site staff.

I thought the same thing. Lol

Edit:. Hadn't read the thread. Read some of this page. Glad to see all those white comic characters getting their privilege checked. Kangz etc etc

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
why didnt they just call this movie Inventor Cat

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Wait, they are Asgardian relatives of Heimdall living on Earth in secret.

Or no, maybe it turns out that living in close proximity to large amounts of vibranium gives you superpowers, like Superman and our sun.

Okay, okay, the whole trailer had me WE WAS KANGZ'ing and I'm grasping at straws here to keep from laughing.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Bam, I got it. The AIDS virus in proximity to vibranium mutates into a sort of super-serum, like the Planet of the Apes reboot.

You gotta give us something here, Marvel.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It was an equal opportunity comic and character. It's now an equal opportunity movie. No more, no less.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Not looking forward to this, I don't really get what his superpower is... is he just African Batman?

I'll go watch it since Marvel earned a risk from me after all the crazy shit they've pulled off.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Noah

Molten Core Raider
yeah he is basically marvel batman
super rich, always able to make super gadgets for whatever, super tactics, super plot armor

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Bam, I got it. The AIDS virus in proximity to vibranium mutates into a sort of super-serum, like the Planet of the Apes reboot.

You gotta give us something here, Marvel.

If I'm remembering correctly, there was some sort of mutation related to exposure to the meteor that deposited vibranium in Wakanda. Eating a mutated plant was how the Black Panther acquired his supernatural abilities. I think it could also cause mutations in people as well. So super edibles ...

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The trailer really didn't help.

Wakanda isn't just "reclusive black North Korea" it's magical space technology.

At least Thor is literal aliens. I'm just not sure, it just feels like that are trying soooooooo hard to show "better than whitey" civilization that they forgot to give it character beyond Jaffa KREE!

I really don't care about any of the motivations or characters, there's I guess a generic bad guy. British Petroleum himself is bland and uninspiring as a character.

I'm sure it will rate adequate like Dr. Strange, but I don't see it being anything more with such humorless characters and settings.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I just saw this trailer for the first time while waiting to watch Thor.

It’s basically Boyz n the Hood comic book edition. It’s a rap video with a budget.

I hate everything about it so far and the only comfort is that Justice League looks so much worse.

If you take the cameos out of this one people wouldn’t even know it was part of the Marvel universe in any way. It would be seen as the black community trying to monopolize on comic book movies.

• 1Like

Royal

I If you take the cameos out of this one people wouldn’t even know it was part of the Marvel universe in any way.

You'd have to take Black Panther out of Civil War also. He had more than a drive-by role in that one.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
You'd have to take Black Panther out of Civil War also. He had more than a drive-by role in that one.
His skill set and story in that could have been written as any character in Marvel and been fine. He didn’t have a unique ability to bring to the table and he wasn’t a hard counter to any specific other hero.

There are other characters in the movie that don’t have their own spinoff movie also.

Royal

What does any of that have to do with people knowing, just from the movies, that Black Panther is part of the MCU? There's connective tissue outside of his own movie is my point.

Sterling

El Presidente
His skill set and story in that could have been written as any character in Marvel and been fine. He didn’t have a unique ability to bring to the table and he wasn’t a hard counter to any specific other hero.

There are other characters in the movie that don’t have their own spinoff movie also.
He's essentially Marvel's Batman. A lot of your complaints can easily be applied to him also.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
He's essentially Marvel's Batman. A lot of your complaints can easily be applied to him also.
Except Batman has been a pivotal role in their trinity of Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman over decades of story telling.

Black Panther has had just around 200 issues stand alone.

Batman has had over 3,000 without counting spinoffs or mini series.

I am not saying the character of Black Panther is worthless, I am saying the movie is a diversity play and doesn’t try to pretend otherwise.

You know what Black Panther is doing in the comic books for the majority of Civil War? Getting married to Storm and complaining about the super hero’s in America not showing up.

• 1Worf

Seananigans

Potato del Grande
<Screenshotted>
I am saying the movie is a diversity play and doesn’t try to pretend otherwise.

Yeah it's crazy diverse. It's got:

Black people who like one type of rap
Black people who like a different type of rap
Black people who like ... tribal ... rap ...??
Black women
Black men
Black ... royalty ...
Black ... ahh fuck it

Oh and a hobbit, and a hobbit-turned-gollumcreature. So that's like two types of hobbits too!

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Not looking forward to this, I don't really get what his superpower is... is he just African Batman?

I'll go watch it since Marvel earned a risk from me after all the crazy shit they've pulled off.

yeah he is basically marvel batman
super rich, always able to make super gadgets for whatever, super tactics, super plot armor

If I'm remembering correctly, there was some sort of mutation related to exposure to the meteor that deposited vibranium in Wakanda. Eating a mutated plant was how the Black Panther acquired his supernatural abilities. I think it could also cause mutations in people as well. So super edibles ...

Yeah, originally it was just spiritual, praying to the panther god and getting the powers. Then they changed it to an heart shape herb that was mutated by vibranium. His powers are roughly the same as Captain America's in the comics, so I suspect they will maintain a parity in the movies.

Also, the way Wakanda's "Kangz" stuff was explained in the comics is due to a large meteor of Vibranium crashing there, and it gave them an enormous boost in engineering/scientific research, as well as wealth. After trading just a little of it (Supposedly for the wealth), they decided others would come steal it if it was too widely known, so they hide away their country and pretended to be like the rest of Africa. (In the comics they disguised high tech weapons as spears ect.) Eventually they developed tech which could hide them from flying craft ect as the rest of the world modernized (Their always portrayed as somewhat ahead technologically because Vibranium solves a lot of engineering problems by being magic--Iron Man bitches a lot about it.)

Anyway, even with the advantage the rest of the world began catching up, and between Iron Man and Reed Richards and the American Military, Wakanda realized other forces were growing as powerful--so that's why BP started going out into the world, literally to spy on the various "super human" organizations.

Originally all he had was a vibranium suit that made him bullet proof, and Captain America powers...But in the comics they went all kinds of ridiculous fucking power creep with him. As said, he eventually became Marvel's batman--and since Bathman became DC's Iron Man, lol, by transitive property BP also became Iron Man. Eventually his suit could stealth, and had all kinds of AI systems and do all kinds of ridiculous shit. I really hope they stay away from that stuff..Maybe have Tony help him with an onboard AI in exchange for him helping Tony with Cap's new shield and some armor for IM's suits. He's a much better character when they don't give in to the "he's got to be better than everyone" bullshit. At one point in the comics, he was, no shit, smarter at engineering than Stark, as smart as Reed in physics, as good at hand to hand as Captain America and all the stupid shit with his suits, and as someone last page said, he could also do sorcery. lol..

• 1Worf