Black Panther (2018)

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'll go see it but I'm pretty much going to ignore the reviews for it since 100% fresh is probably a given.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Guess they decided to not wait for the Thor release and drop it early.

I gotta say, that looks pretty damn good. Better than I had started thinking it might.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Yeah, that trailer makes it look a lot better than the previous one(s). The action set pieces look fantastic.

Royal

I'm getting a little Goa'uld from SG-1 vibe from the Wakanda tech.

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
Fuck! That's what it was Royal. Something was nagging in the back of my mind and I could not figure out what it was. Perfect.

Trailer looks overly CGI, but of course they only showed action scenes for the most part so it's not surprising. I liked Chadwick Boseman and his constant smirk of "fuck you, I don't care about your opinion and I can kick your ass" in CA:CW and I think it'll translate pretty well into a solo movie.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Looks solid. Low key think Thor 3 and this will be best of next set of Marvel movies.

Royal

I liked Chadwick Boseman and his constant smirk of "fuck you, I don't care about your opinion and I can kick your ass" in CA:CW and I think it'll translate pretty well into a solo movie.

He's channeling James Brown (a role he's played before).

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Lol i thought the goofy music voice at the beginning was actually a character responding to Bilbo.

I've seen weapons you wouldnt believe.... uhhuh
I've seen aliens drop from the sky... ya

• 1Worf

spronk

FPS noob
so am i racist if i say that trailer looks and sounds stupid as fuck

gonna be interesting to see how this performs world wide at the box office, its either gonna trigger racists or trigger SJWs. I think though it'll finally answer that question: can an all black/minority cast carry a tentpole summer blockbuster movie.

Last edited:
  • 3Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Can anyone more familiar with BP tell me if the suit doing like color-coded stuff means anything? Like the purple lining look at the end. Does it have modes? It initially was presented as kind of just a simple body suit (with vibranium) but obviously going high tech here.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am beginning to understand where the attitude came from in his previous movies. In Captain America, he looks like a well toned man with a suit of armor made from a very strong element. The brief period of seeing his home did not leave a viewer the impression that the preview did. Based on that preview, Tony Stark would have a lot of interest in his world. That looked to have some very advanced technology that looks on par with Asgard with a Hero that could give Thor a good run if the tech is as good as that preview made it look.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
so am i racist if i say that trailer looks and sounds stupid as fuck

No, just wrong.

That trailer is great and looks to be on par with the upcoming Thor movie.

The fact that you said "So am I racist if I say..." without offering any explanation as to why you think that is even dumber than your terrible opinion on the matter.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Trailer looks good, but I really didn't like the music. I get that they are going for a whole "cultural" thing or whatever, but I dunno, I didn't get a real "the revolution will not be televised" feel from the trailer, so why that song? Deadpool's "X Gonna Give it to Ya" was vastly superior in matching the tone. To be honest, I'd have much rather had something like Ice-T's OG or something like that, a little more throwback.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Trailer looks good, but I really didn't like the music. I get that they are going for a whole "cultural" thing or whatever, but I dunno, I didn't get a real "the revolution will not be televised" feel from the trailer, so why that song? Deadpool's "X Gonna Give it to Ya" was vastly superior in matching the tone. To be honest, I'd have much rather had something like Ice-T's OG or something like that, a little more throwback.

I asked the same question earlier in this thread and apparently it has a lot to do with the director's selection of music. It's a little off from the tone of things.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Isn't part of BP's vision to bring Wakanda into it's rightful place on the world stage? I can't really remember everything about his character from Civil War but I seem to remember aside from his need to avenge his father he also wanted to end Wakanda's long secretive, secluded history. If that's the case then the song seems fitting based on the source material for the line "The revolution will not be televised".

Also the villain in the trailer says "The world is gonna start over, I'ma burn it all" and BP says "What happens now determines what happens to the rest of the world".

I think the song was picked because of the original source material just of that one line rather than for the song itself. But the source wouldn't have gone over with a modern audience.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
I still don't get this "the trailer music seems to not fit" which if it was African drumming and chanting it would be WE WUZ KANGZ AND SHIET posted in every forum everywhere or perhaps the over used BRRRRRUMMMMMMMMMM trailer shit that EVERYBODY uses since Inception. Marvel already has deep roots in hip-hop and it's no surprise they use forms of it for the first major black super hero movie since Meteor Man.

Using RTJ and whatever remix this is of Gil-Scott Heron's poem and Vince Staples "Bagbak" do alright, but if its old school hip hop and such then they already have Luke Cage to fit that bill. This is meant to be old world black culture mixed with futuristic themes so using current hip-hop artists who are accessible but have a very modern sound is a good call, not to mention this is marketing towards american audiences which I'd say at this point know more RTJ and Vince Staples songs's.

If anything I thought they should have perhaps gotten a major African hip hop artist to collaborate with a good american hip-hop producer/rapper to sorta bridge the gap, would have exposed people to new artists in a way that's familiar if they like the collaborator/producer.