Black Panther (2018)

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
This is a movie.

It is based on a Comic Book.

It has some elements of Comic Book storytelling that are very close to the Comic Book.

Some stuff is different from the Comic Book it is based on.

Some people have very strong opinions about this movie in one direction.
Some people have very strong opinions about this movie in a direction that is different from other people.

I saw this movie.

0/0 Stars for being a movie about a subject. 1/1 Stars if you would like a review that is different.

Movie.

• 3Picard
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
Just watched it. Pretty much not noteworthy at all for a Marvel film. Only thing that I guess matters is Vibranium as I'm sure that somehow ties into Thanos in Infinity Wars. Acting was fine, very VERY heavy on the "Africa" vibe and the fight scenes were very mediocre.

If it was any other movie I'd give it like a 7.5/10. Nothing special but not terrible. As a Marvel movie I'd give it like a 5/10. Villain was meh, hero was wooden, supporting cast was fine, not nearly enough humor. The action was basically non-existent and the "final fight" was super fucking weak sauce.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Saw this yesterday and really enjoyed it. I loved the fact that the central conflict of the movie was whether or not Wakanda had any responsibility to use their resources to help others, and that they didn't pretend like it was an easy or obvious choice. The fact that T'Challa's father's decision to protect his people at the cost of abandoning a child led to the creation of the "villain" seemed a bit "on the nose", but it was nice to see these characters face moral and ethical challenges that we ourselves often have to consider in the modern political climate.

Loved the design of Wakanda with its fusion of futuristic tech and ancient tradition, with one exception: Those lip discs. I'm pretty good at suspending disbelief in fantasy/sci-fi movies but my brain just couldn't rationalize how an advanced society who has welcomed and greatly benefited from high technology would mutilate their faces for no practical purpose, but maybe that's just me.

I cringed at the "What are thooooooooose?" line and I wasn't psyched to see yet another "hero vs evil version of hero" battle, but most everything else worked great IMO. I enjoyed the action scenes and found the warrior women were great fun to watch (even if the nipples on those red outfits reminded me a bit of Schumaker's Batman suit). While the movie could have benefited from a little more humor, I'm glad Black Panther himself is not another smarmy wise-cracking joker, which Marvel seems to give us a lot of. The movie ended on kind of a significant note, plot-wise, so I'm wondering whether this will have world-changing effects that will be reflected in Marvels' future movies.

• 2Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So how did Wakanda prevent radio transmissions from leaving their bubble and thus revealing their position? I would imagine the HAM radio types would be interested in radio broadcasts from the middle of a jungle.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
So how did Wakanda prevent radio transmissions from leaving their bubble and thus revealing their position? I would imagine the HAM radio types would be interested in radio broadcasts from the middle of a jungle.

vibranium, the answer to every question

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
In my world it has. I haven't heard people talking about it IRL, so that's pretty much dead to me.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
annihilation-what-is-the-shimmer-1086305.jpeg

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I'm really glad this movie has all but fallen off into nothingness. Such garbage.

5th week at number one, first time since Avatar in 2009.

4th biggest 5th week.

Your world is not connected to the rest of reality. ;)

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Skylancer81

Molten Core Raider
I saw it. Was OK.
Places dead last in MCU for me. Taking Ironman 3's place. Ironman 3 still rubs me the wrong way for how they screwed the Mandarin over.
BP is still above all of the DCEU except Wonder Woman.

Some movie has to be last in the MCU and this one is it, for now.

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
China rejecting black panther though, receipts down 80% after one week. It'll be out of theaters by next weekend, still make $100m or so which is pretty much what every MCU movie has done there except for Avengers and Captain America ($235m and $175m)
Black Panther seen as too 'politically correct' for China as ticket sales tumble
lol
"Black Panther is black, all the major characters are black, a lot of scenes are black, the car-chasing scene is black — the blackness has really made me drowsy," another Douban reviewer said.

i'm sure if you go through the thread i knew this was the biggest issue, too fucking black

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Finally got to see it, it was pretty good some obviously dumb parts like the Rhino mounts that should have never made it into the movie.

The actual villain's character arc was good, Wally did a good job, and he's probably the best villain in the franchise to date, but his powers were the same as the Black Panther, it would have been better if he didn't have a copycat suit.

There wasn't enough comedy, which is the biggest draw for me..Also they went over board with the effects, there were a lot of scenes where less would have been more.

There were some terrible lines in the trailer, and I'm glad some of the dumb stuff got left out, but god really Rhino mounts?

Probably give it a 7/10

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user