Black Panther (2018)

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
This movie is what finally broke me of watching much of anything from Collider and Charlie anymore. Practically Collider's entire staff thinks that not only is Black Panther one of the top Marvel movies, but that Killmonger was the best villain until Thanos (and even then some of them are still on the fence it seems). Same with Charlie ranking it right above or below (can't remember) Infinity War. On the one hand, I hope they are just doing it for viewer numbers and don't actually feel that way, but on the other hand, if they are, that might even be worse.

I cannot understand how that many of them all agree on both topics. I would get it if a couple did, and a couple argued vehemently against it. Hey, everyone is entitled to an opinion and some people probably really loved it and him. But in my less than exhaustive search it seems it is almost universal at Collider, and that reeks of either collusion or herd mentality or something.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I had the same issue with Collider and also stopped watching when they were all gushing over something horribly bad like it was the second coming. I think it was The Last Jedi, but I can't remember, I think I blocked it out because I was so shocked.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I had the same issue with Collider and also stopped watching when they were all gushing over something horribly bad like it was the second coming. I think it was The Last Jedi, but I can't remember, I think I blocked it out because I was so shocked.
I managed to wait until TLJ came out on the pirate sites so I never watched anything Collider after TLJ released pretty much, otherwise I probably would have felt the same way you did.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Finally got around to seeing this utterly mediocre movie. Way fucking overrated. Not bad, not great. The action was good but the story dragged in several places for me. This is my brother's take made me chuckle because he is NOT one to say something like this at all.

Capture.JPG

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Didn't watch this movie but after seeing the new Avengers movies I think I had my fill of Wakanda.

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 4 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
okay. so i finally watched this.... i enjoyed most of the movie. i have no issues with wakanda whatsoever. however. this movie presents kind of an unsettling dichotomy. i really like michael b jordan so i couldn't figure out why everytime he showed up it just took me out of the movie...

ugh, i'm not even really sure where to actually start... i like wakanda, but there is just so much appropriation with black panther that i don't like the character. we are all familiar with BP putting silver surfer in a kimura lock and how ridiculous that was, it's like marvel says, listen, we don't really have a lot of black super heroes, so we have to make the ones we DO have completely off the charts. the thing is, in this movie black panther made all kinds of statements separating himself from that style of thinking, which i really appreciated. he was baited (whether it was on purpose or not, i don't know) into a lot of race issues but just walked right passed. both in the movie and the audience, there is a certain crowd of people that want wakanda to be some kind of wish fulfillment and justification for slavery. except, here's the deal... wakandans were never slaves. ever. their ancestors were ALWAYS blessed. wakanda is the ultimate #privilege.

the culture is what it is. i've heard people complain about the absurdity of people putting those saucers in their lips and ears and i just say, why not? that's just a cultural thing. that's not a technology thing. a person with a dish in his mouth could look at someone in america with a crucifix necklace and ask why they are wearing a person being tortured and murdered as jewelry. wakanda is functionally identical to japan prior to the 19th century. extremely advanced (in certain things, metallurgy was a big one) and absolutely REFUSED to allow their culture to leave japan or let any other culture into japan. the rest of the world was wearing jeans while they were walking around with swords and kimonos. but no one bats an eye because yellow fever.

so onto michael b jordan... i COULD NOT figure out why he bothered me so much until his last line of the movie and it actually soured the entire movie for me. he said "bury me at sea, with my ancestors that jumped from ships, because they knew that death was better than bondage."

it was meant to be this powerful moment, it was meant to demonstrate his resolve and his belief. except. it was all wrong. all of it. you are wakandan. we already established that your ancestors weren't slaves. it would be like me, a white boy from wisconsin, talking about how unfair it was that so many italians died in ww2. italians aren't my people, they aren't my culture... no one in my family has ever even been to italy, but we're white so we're all the same.

but here's the real kicker because it's what i believe to be the fundamental error in thinking when it comes to minority. death is better than bondage... that sounds all high and mighty except the reason you would be in "bondage" is because you tried to overthrow an entire government and declare war on the world. you wouldn't be in bondage, you'd be in prison. you just compared being in prison because of committing a crime, to being a slave for the color of your skin.

that line of thinking is so utterly bereft of personal responsibility that i cant even continue thinking about this anymore without sputtering into nonsense.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
This movie is what finally broke me of watching much of anything from Collider and Charlie anymore. Practically Collider's entire staff thinks that not only is Black Panther one of the top Marvel movies, but that Killmonger was the best villain until Thanos (and even then some of them are still on the fence it seems). Same with Charlie ranking it right above or below (can't remember) Infinity War. On the one hand, I hope they are just doing it for viewer numbers and don't actually feel that way, but on the other hand, if they are, that might even be worse.

I cannot understand how that many of them all agree on both topics. I would get it if a couple did, and a couple argued vehemently against it. Hey, everyone is entitled to an opinion and some people probably really loved it and him. But in my less than exhaustive search it seems it is almost universal at Collider, and that reeks of either collusion or herd mentality or something.
No idea who Charlie is, but isn't Collider what RLM primarily parodies in their nerd crew videos? If that's even 10% accurate, why did it take this movie to break you of that habit? Why did you even start?

• 1Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
so onto michael b jordan... i COULD NOT figure out why he bothered me so much until his last line of the movie and it actually soured the entire movie for me. he said "bury me at sea, with my ancestors that jumped from ships, because they knew that death was better than bondage."

it was meant to be this powerful moment, it was meant to demonstrate his resolve and his belief. except. it was all wrong. all of it. you are wakandan. we already established that your ancestors weren't slaves. it would be like me, a white boy from wisconsin, talking about how unfair it was that so many italians died in ww2. italians aren't my people, they aren't my culture... no one in my family has ever even been to italy, but we're white so we're all the same.

but here's the real kicker because it's what i believe to be the fundamental error in thinking when it comes to minority. death is better than bondage... that sounds all high and mighty except the reason you would be in "bondage" is because you tried to overthrow an entire government and declare war on the world. you wouldn't be in bondage, you'd be in prison. you just compared being in prison because of committing a crime, to being a slave for the color of your skin.

that line of thinking is so utterly bereft of personal responsibility that i cant even continue thinking about this anymore without sputtering into nonsense.

He said that because the majority of his life was spent being raised by his mother, and she was descended from slaves.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
We’re all descended from slaves. And murderers, rapists, pedos, arsonists, etc...

It’s another reason why this movie is so fucking racist. Reinforcing the chip on people’s shoulders? Retarded. Might as well have some Jews hanging around a well. Or remind the Irish and Chinese how they were treated in the 1800s.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
No idea who Charlie is, but isn't Collider what RLM primarily parodies in their nerd crew videos? If that's even 10% accurate, why did it take this movie to break you of that habit? Why did you even start?
Charlie is the Emergency Awesome guy that gets linked a lot.

I have no idea about RLM because I rarely watch them. I used to watch Collider just because I'd put it on in the background and do other shit while they talked about upcoming movies or TV or whatever. And I'll admit, the two hot chicks that sometimes do intros, Natasha Alexis and Ashley Mova, were the initial reason I even looked at the videos.

I watched the Half in the Bag review for Infinity War, and it just reconfirmed that I don't really like any of the reviewers out there anymore. Everyone feels like they have to have a shtick or something to stand out, it seems. It's fucking annoying. I probably haven't watched RLM in over a year, maybe I would like them better now, I don't know. But yeah, I have no idea who or how they are parodying.

It seems you haven't watched Collider to even know anyway? Are you just taking RLM's word for it? That doesn't really seem like a great position to be casting stones from either.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The RLM guys have a huge cult following on this forum. I personally don't get it, but a lot of people here treat their word and reviews as gospel.

• 1Solidarity

j00t

He said that because the majority of his life was spent being raised by his mother, and she was descended from slaves.

yeah, but here's the problem with that. he spends the whole movie combining wakandan heritage with ALL BLACK PEOPLE. he repeatedly said "our people are out there fighting and dying"

YOUR people? what on earth makes them YOUR people? i was really happy about t'challa saying "I am not the king of all people. I am the King of Wakanda" because at least he understands that wakanda isn't the ancestral home of every black person in the world.

i also think it was awfully contrived for wakabi to join forces with killmonger so easily and resolutely. he has a speech earlier about not wanting outsiders inside wakanda, because he doesn't want their problems to come with them. but then as soon as killmonger becomes king, he's like, yeah dude, let's bring all this guy's personal beef to the throne. even to the point of trying to kill his wife and childhood friend.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Charlie is the Emergency Awesome guy that gets linked a lot.

I have no idea about RLM because I rarely watch them. I used to watch Collider just because I'd put it on in the background and do other shit while they talked about upcoming movies or TV or whatever. And I'll admit, the two hot chicks that sometimes do intros, Natasha Alexis and Ashley Mova, were the initial reason I even looked at the videos.

I watched the Half in the Bag review for Infinity War, and it just reconfirmed that I don't really like any of the reviewers out there anymore. Everyone feels like they have to have a shtick or something to stand out, it seems. It's fucking annoying. I probably haven't watched RLM in over a year, maybe I would like them better now, I don't know. But yeah, I have no idea who or how they are parodying.

It seems you haven't watched Collider to even know anyway? Are you just taking RLM's word for it? That doesn't really seem like a great position to be casting stones from either.
Meh, the Mr. Plinkett thing is I guess off-putting, so I'll give you that. I normally fast forward, it's just the first few minutes anyway. Half in the Bag is not parodying Collider, the Nerd Crew show is. I was pretty sure of that when I initially posted, I wanted to see if you thought that too.

I've watched a couple of their shows. The Nerd Crew is definitely exaggerating, but I didn't really find anything of substance or value either.

Khane Khane Their reviews are usually good and I find I have similar desires in what I want out of movie as they do. I don't take them as gospel though. I don't like Mike's taste for schlock nor Jay's taste for horror films, nor neither of their taste for indie films. I find their channel has the most value to see if you want a watch a movie *after* it is spoiled.

j00t

Meh, the Mr. Plinkett thing is I guess off-putting, so I'll give you that. I normally fast forward, it's just the first few minutes anyway. Half in the Bag is not parodying Collider, the Nerd Crew show is. I was pretty sure of that when I initially posted, I wanted to see if you thought that too.

I've watched a couple of their shows. The Nerd Crew is definitely exaggerating, but I didn't really find anything of substance or value either.

Khane Khane Their reviews are usually good and I find I have similar desires in what I want out of movie as they do. I don't take them as gospel though. I don't like Mike's taste for schlock nor Jay's taste for horror films, nor neither of their taste for indie films. I find their channel has the most value to see if you want a watch a movie *after* it is spoiled.

yeah i'd agree with you on RLM. they are kind of an oddity in that they CLEARLY know the mechanics of filmmaking and storytelling, so they have a fairly respectable sense of criticism in that regard. however, they are SOOOOO into B movies that they can't help themselves to put huge sections of B movie quality antics into their reviews. i mean, does anyone watch their reviews for the plinkett story? it was kind of endearing in the very beginning but they can be done with that now.

and yeah, they are terrible to watch PRIOR to watching a film they are reviewing because 2/3s of their review is spoilers. i find myself agreeing with them on a fairly regular basis, but i'd never watch them for their opinion if i was on the fence about watching something.

j00t

i know i already responded to this but i thought of a better response.

"everyone knows that the female's lineage doesn't mean anything."

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
yeah i'd agree with you on RLM. they are kind of an oddity in that they CLEARLY know the mechanics of filmmaking and storytelling, so they have a fairly respectable sense of criticism in that regard. however, they are SOOOOO into B movies that they can't help themselves to put huge sections of B movie quality antics into their reviews. i mean, does anyone watch their reviews for the plinkett story? it was kind of endearing in the very beginning but they can be done with that now.

and yeah, they are terrible to watch PRIOR to watching a film they are reviewing because 2/3s of their review is spoilers. i find myself agreeing with them on a fairly regular basis, but i'd never watch them for their opinion if i was on the fence about watching something.
Here's the thing, I can't remember the last film I watched where I thought not being spoilered would have (dramatically)improved the viewing experience. Now, of course, that's all personal taste, and I said I don't like horror films.

But even relatively complex books like the Malazan series, I'll still often read ahead to see where the plot is going but still happily read the rest of the book. IDK what it is. Maybe that hack JJ Abrams and his stupid "mystery box" really highlighted the weakness of the reveal. For me, at least. I'm one of those assholes that will complete jokes new to me because I can see where they are going.

I already watched RLM's review on Infinity War, still want to see it. Even considering going to the movie theater for it, which I haven't been since the Star Trek reboot.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I finally watched this last night and felt really underwhelmed. The fight choreography seemed really poorly done, and 90% of it was really shitty CGI lmao

Also to me it was weird to just like... throw trap beats into their normal 'marvel'-esque musical scores. I dunno, just seemed moderately okay of a movie, but nowhere even remotely near a 96% or whatever the fuck rating reviewers give it.

I actually liked the whole tribal/wakanda aspect, i found it pretty interesting, however michael b jordon just kinda took me out of the immersion anytime he was on screen lol

like a 6.5/10 lol

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>

150 years since the Civil War, and your father's lineage is of affluence to the point of royalty. Fucking let it go you whiny crybaby.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just watched it. Average Marvel movie. Very worth making just to get Wakanda and BP in the universe but as a stand alone I was underwhelmed.
I felt like Tchala got his ass beat by everyone for the most part and pulled off a move at the very end to win.

The guys with the plates in their lips made me cringe a bit.